SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

How to make the library file music by artist and album

I'm ripping music to .ape format first by using exact audio copy to get to wav, I rip to /<artist>/<album>/<track number>-<track name>.wav and then use monkey's audio to convert to ape, using monkey's auto ID tag creation based on the directory structure and filename. I've checked using monkey's tag edit software and the artist, album and track number/name info is in place.

I'm using the winamp plugin and can play back the music via sage but they only appear in the list of tracks menu, ie they're not filed by artist and album.

How do I make sage recognize the tracks as belonging to an album and artist? There is no album art at the minute. I'm not sure why EAC doesn't automatically take care of this, is this the problem? Does sage refuse top catogorize albums that don't have album art? If so how do go about putiing in album art?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Phill
Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage will read the mp3 IDv3 tags but it's not going to read the ape tags. As far as I know.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Sage will read the mp3 IDv3 tags but it's not going to read the ape tags. As far as I know.

Gerry

Does this mean that despite the Winamp plugin, sage effectively doesn't support other music formats than mp3?

Is there a way arround this?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Depends what you mean by support. It will play other formats and it has support for some of the other format tags but I don't think it does for ape.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Depends what you mean by support. It will play other formats and it has support for some of the other format tags but I don't think it does for ape.

Gerry
What I mean by support is that it can play the files and file them according to artist and album so that I can access them through the media center music library.

If there is a way to tell sage that these files are an album of this name and such and such artist then that would be fine. If it could use the directory structure to work it out, that would also work fine, if I have to use a different lossless format, that would likewise be fine.

So all I'm really asking is; how do I use sage media center to build a losslessly compressed music library?

Cheers,
Phill
Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 AM

The default UI does not do any of that. Some of the other UI's do support file system categorization like SageMC. Reading the tags is part of the core product though so no other UI will allow this yet.

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
The default UI does not do any of that. Some of the other UI's do support file system categorization like SageMC. Reading the tags is part of the core product though so no other UI will allow this yet.
Oh right, so let me see if I have the right idea. I'm still trying to assess my options.

I could replace the UI with say, SageMC16x9 which would catogorize files according to their directory structure rather than reading ID tags.

Alternatively, I could select a filetype that sage supports the ID tags for out of the box.

In the second option, which if any lossless filetypes can sage read the ID tags for?

Last edited by PhillJones; 04-11-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillJones
Oh right, so let me see if I have the right idea. I'm still trying to assess my options.

I could replace the UI with say, SageMC16x9 which would catogorize files according to their directory structure rather than reading ID tags.

Alternatively, I could select a filetype that sage supports the ID tags for out of the box.

In the second option, which if any lossless filetypes can sage read the ID tags for?
I think only WMA lossless is supported.

Don't forget the check out the SageMC16x9 Wiki if you have any configuration or general usage questions. New content is being added all the time!
Old 04-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm ripping music to .ape format first by using exact audio copy to get to wav, I rip to /<artist>/<album>/<track number>-<track name>.wav and then use monkey's audio to convert to ape, using monkey's auto ID tag creation based on the directory structure and filename. I've checked using monkey's tag edit software and the artist, album and track number/name info is in place.

I'm using the winamp plugin and can play back the music via sage but they only appear in the list of tracks menu, ie they're not filed by artist and album.

How do I make sage recognize the tracks as belonging to an album and artist? There is no album art at the minute. I'm not sure why EAC doesn't automatically take care of this, is this the problem? Does sage refuse top catogorize albums that don't have album art? If so how do go about putiing in album art?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Phill

Take a look at this thread, should work for APE, works for FLAC, essentially deletes vorbis and makes ID3 tags for Sage, if delete vorbis may not work with other software.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...=14403&page=15
Old 04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

That worked like charm,

Thanks johnnytyler
Old 04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That worked like charm,

Thanks johnnytyler

Your Welcome