SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage User

Imported video problem

Hello all.

This is probably an easy question for most of you to answer, so much so that I am embarrassed to ask. Here it goes:

I used Sage to record a program from a Hauppauge 150. I took the saved mpg (which I can play from within Sage via "SageTV Recordings"), edited out the commercials with Nero v7, exported the file as an mpeg, and then added the edited video to a video import directory that Sage recognizes.

When I go to Sage's Imported Video menu, the edited video appears in the list, but when I try to play it, my screen goes black and the cursor (which is now the Sage logo) spins about every 10s or so. After about 2 minutes of this, I kill Sage with Program Manager. I can play the video fine with Nero's video player, but can't seem to get it work from within Sage.

Any help troubleshooting this? Could it be an mpeg encoder/decoder issue? If so, I know you guys talk all the time about using this decoder or that decoder, but how do you actually do this?

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds to me like you re-encoded it to a nero digital format (mpeg-4 format). I don't believe that SageTV supports that type of file without adding additional codecs to your PC if at all (for AVC format). I suggest that you get VideoRedo to cut out your commercials. It will be much quicker (matter of minutes to trim the commercials) than a re-encode and you shouldn't have any problems playing it back in SageTV as it is still a mpeg-2 format file.

This assumes that I am correct in that you re-encoded your file. I've never tried to just have nero save an mpeg-2 file so I don't know if that is even possible. So YMMV.

BobP.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Sage User

BobP:

I thought the same thing. But then I checked the video properties from within Nero and it listed (among other properties) that the edited file was encoded in MPEG2.

--John
Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Well then I have a question for you. How long did it take Nero to produce your finished file? VideoRedo can do a 7-9Gb mpeg-2 edit in less than 10 minutes on my system. And I've never had SageTV not be able to play the file if it can play back the original. The reason I ask is that for an ASP MP4 encode of the same file takes several hours to complete. I hope Nero is able to do mpeg-2 quicker.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 04-11-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Sage User

To render a 30 minute show that was cut down to 23 minutes takes appx 2 minutes with Nero. My processor is an AMD 64 x2 3800; I'm sure that helps a little bit.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Sage User

More information -

I performed a similar editing test, but this time with Adobe Premiere Elements. SAME result as with Nero - Sage hangs. I tried exporting to different resolutions 720x480, 352x420, 352x240, same thing.

Has anyone else had this problem? I've been in contact with Sage "support", but they are leaving much to be desired.....pretty disappointing .

Thanks.