SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

DVB-S Options

When I first started using SageTV I used PVR-250/150's to bring in s-video from 3 satellite receivers and after some tweaking it was pretty solid. I only rebooted my server once a week "just because". The whole digital to analog then back to digital thing really bugged me though. Since then I've replaced the 150's with Nexus-S cards using MyTheatre, SageTV plugin, and other plugins. Now the whole setup is digital with 5.1 sound, HDTV, and amazing pq. HOWEVER, the tradeoff is stability big time. I have to script a daily shutdown and restart of all MyTheatre instances to keep it running. It's a huge resource hog and kind of quirky wrt to channel changes sometimes.

My question is this. Are there any other setups out there that have had more success? Perhaps some Linux flavours like DTV, DVR, etc. Will they stream video to Sage and support some of the plugins?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJeff
When I first started using SageTV I used PVR-250/150's to bring in s-video from 3 satellite receivers and after some tweaking it was pretty solid. I only rebooted my server once a week "just because". The whole digital to analog then back to digital thing really bugged me though. Since then I've replaced the 150's with Nexus-S cards using MyTheatre, SageTV plugin, and other plugins. Now the whole setup is digital with 5.1 sound, HDTV, and amazing pq. HOWEVER, the tradeoff is stability big time. I have to script a daily shutdown and restart of all MyTheatre instances to keep it running. It's a huge resource hog and kind of quirky wrt to channel changes sometimes.

My question is this. Are there any other setups out there that have had more success? Perhaps some Linux flavours like DTV, DVR, etc. Will they stream video to Sage and support some of the plugins?

I have the same setup and Ive run weeks without a restart. It sounds more like a MT problem rather than a Sage.

You'll have to look into Linux as they are using DVB-S with Myth TV but there are tonnes of problems with those setup as well.

Technazz
Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

I agree that most of the grief comes from MT (Sage betas notwithstanding). Could you let me know your MT setup, plugins, etc. ?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Sage Icon

most problems ive seen is people running "trial" versions of MT. I run perfectly stable with 2 instances of DVB-s cards on the server through the latest release of MT (the last 2 releases as well..)

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm running the fully licenced version on 4 Nexus-s cards. Curious about some of your settings. I'm running the running the cards in harware mode, colour system set to PAL (for HDTV). Optimize for DVD is checked. Timeshift buffer length set to 100 MB. Using the DVBCore parser for EPG. Switch to AC3 track is checked under audio.

On (yet) another note, is anyone able to get radio working ??
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 AM
Sage User

DVB-S Capture cards

Hi insomniac, I noticed you had the Skystar2 DVB-S Card installed in your sytem. How is it working? Is it noticed by SAGETV or are you using a network encoder to "see" it? Are there BDA/WDM drivers for it?

Searching for the best DVB-S solution

Thanks!
Rob
Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

i'm still trying to figure out what i could do with an dvb-s card though i have an idea...
Old 08-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Sage Icon

Cant do much with a dvb-s card right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
i'm still trying to figure out what i could do with an dvb-s card though i have an idea...

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Sage Icon

I love my ss2 card. strong signal and has WDM drivers. I dont recommend BDA drivers anyway. Crappy cpu hogs. I use MTSAGE plugin in mytheatre as a network encoder for sage. I have yet to use sage native for sat cards.

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb2
Hi insomniac, I noticed you had the Skystar2 DVB-S Card installed in your sytem. How is it working? Is it noticed by SAGETV or are you using a network encoder to "see" it? Are there BDA/WDM drivers for it?

Searching for the best DVB-S solution

Thanks!
Rob

My sage rigs:
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
most problems ive seen is people running "trial" versions of MT. I run perfectly stable with 2 instances of DVB-s cards on the server through the latest release of MT (the last 2 releases as well..)

I.

how i bought mytheatre and i try to run 2 with 2 dvb it shuts down and errors out..
and sagetv only sees one
i have it set for 6969 and 7000 still errors out