SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 04-21-2006, 06:27 PM
ben

I'm an incompetent spammer

We sell sea sells

We shell sea sells

We see sea shell by the shesore

Wee sell seashores by the

We sell seasells by the shoresea

<oh forget it, just >
Old 04-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Administrator

I may remove this permanently later, but I just have to say how bad a spammer this guy was -- a whole post listing all the stuff for sale w/o a single email or web link for any suckers who believed him.

On the other hand, that's not such a bad spammer... at least no one can fall for the supposed sale.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Sage Icon

I love that you left this thread open so everyone can laugh at him.

Very fun stuff, made my day!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

/me points with finger

ha ha
Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 PM
SageTVaholic

You know, at work we have a wall of stupid things I receive via mail/email/fax. I keep all the everyday coorespondence (especially the theatening ones) and display for everyone to see. We should have some kind of place here in the forums that all the crappy posts go to. I loved the one the other day that all it was was some guy stating that Microsoft MCE was so great. That is it. Oh well!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

Opus (and all) I'll tell you something....many of you may not even know just how bad it really is. The purpose of my post here is to just let you know the spamming on forums is far worse than one may think. It's only due to the version and features of discussion forum software these days that helps to control it.

Many of you out there may not be aware of the fact that there is software out there that allows massive spamming of forums for older versions of forum software or for forums that allow "anonymous posting." I myself have a software product that I have designed (nothing to do with Sage) but anyway, I too have a support/discussion forum for my product. I had been so busy with my product that I hadn't updated my forum in a long time to the latest version. The older versions of my forum software did not use cookies or force users to enter an Email address which would automatically log them on and off but rather could just post anonymously.

The point is this - the software out that that allows people to just massively spam forums (that allow anonymous posts) should be destroyed. It litters the entire internet highway and trashes forums. It got so bad for me that I had to turn on a moderate feature to review every post before it was posted (due to older versions not having features to login). Not just that I was getting up to about 10 spams a day (and only one to two posts a day because my forum does not have the volume like Sage) but the stuff was absolutely disgusting. They would also sometimes post the same message 1-10 times (minor changes in each post to bypass duplicate checking).

Well - I finally grabbed the latest update of the forum software and applied it just 3 days ago which you all remember the routine...it sends you a link to your Email and you have to click on it to activate your account in order to post so all is well with me now. But, all is not well at all in the internet. It's bad enough that they spam our Emails, but to spam forums is about as low as one can get. No one is even interested in that trash on a forum and they do it anyway. As an admin for my forum, I can't begin to tell you just how sickening this stuff is when you yourself are trying to run a nice "clean" forum with a great group of people. It's just sickening, the stuff and links they try and post. You can probably still feel or sense my anger and frustration on this issue as I'm still "coming down from it" but again I'm just glad I now have it under control on my forum as you have on yours.

A message to spammers - stop increasing traffic and posting graffiti on the internet. we are not interested in your trash

Opus - lastly - let me say once again how much I appreciate your time and professionalism in moderating this forum. You do a great job.

Mike
Old 04-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

Paulbeers - this doesn't have to do with spamming but as far as "stupid things" go I can think of three that really shine. As a developer of software myself, many years back I asked a client of mine to "send me a copy of the disk" and they made a photocopy of the floppy disk. Someone else I know said one of their customers called them with a computer problem and said their "coffee cup holder" was broken (they did not know it was a CD player, not a cup holder). 20 years back (you just don't forget the funny stuff), I was at ASUCLA graphic services and someone was holding the big 8" floppy disk with their thumb right one the magnetic part of the disk (where the plastic circle is cut out of the protective cover). I said, you can't hold it like that and they said back to me like I was some kind of idiot "that's only for the smaller disks." Top that.....

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers
You know, at work we have a wall of stupid things I receive via mail/email/fax. I keep all the everyday coorespondence (especially the theatening ones) and display for everyone to see. We should have some kind of place here in the forums that all the crappy posts go to. I loved the one the other day that all it was was some guy stating that Microsoft MCE was so great. That is it. Oh well!
Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I just have to keep reminding myself: It takes all types. Oh and I keep in mind that if it weren't for people like that, I wouldn't have a job!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 04-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
But, all is not well at all in the internet. It's bad enough that they spam our Emails, but to spam forums is about as low as one can get. No one is even interested in that trash on a forum and they do it anyway. As an admin for my forum, I can't begin to tell you just how sickening this stuff is when you yourself are trying to run a nice "clean" forum with a great group of people. It's just sickening, the stuff and links they try and post. You can probably still feel or sense my anger and frustration on this issue as I'm still "coming down from it" but again I'm just glad I now have it under control on my forum as you have on yours.
I'm not sure I understand... do you mean that you don't like forum spam, or what?

Oh -- and I might as well leave this thread around for now, so it is moving to the community section.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

This is funny, this original post must have been pretty funny. Usually it's delete and it's gone. Just can't let this one go eh?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Opus (and all) I'll tell you something....many of you may not even know just how bad it really is. The purpose of my post here is to just let you know the spamming on forums is far worse than one may think. It's only due to the version and features of discussion forum software these days that helps to control it.

Many of you out there may not be aware of the fact that there is software out there that allows massive spamming of forums for older versions of forum software or for forums that allow "anonymous posting."
BTW: it isn't just very old versions of forum software. I saw links to such stuff that is for sale for more recent forum versions & the spam bots from various purchasers of that bot software constantly register here too. Most of them don't complete their accounts (and no, I'm not going to say how they don't complete the accounts or how they can be distinguished as spammers, even though they probably don't read anything here), but some do finish registering. Then, they don't even all register to post their junk -- their point isn't to sell to _us_, they just want the search engine spiders that constantly troll forums to register their links as links back to their site to increase their site ranking, so when someone searches for something they sell, their site gets listed by google higher in the list. Forums are simply a convenient place to increase link ranking.

- Andy
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Say it isn't so!!!

I just can't believe it! The same people who used spam to sell cheap prescription drugs were actually selling fake versions of those drugs: 11 arrested in counterfeit drug sales.

I'm absolutely shocked, shocked, by this news. I never would have thought it was possible that these people couldn't be trusted! To think that these kind people took over $19 million from those who responded to their spam, in return for absolutely nothing of value...

I just don't understand how this could have happened... you mean people click on those spam links!?

- Andy
Old 09-27-2006, 05:52 PM
keithsterlo

Anyone heard of this company?

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company? I can't find where they sell that jumbo shrimp.

You know what they say:

Everything tastes better with Bubba Gump Shrimp.
Ummm, ummm, good!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

What a tool.

Last edited by chrisc16; 09-27-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I can't resist another comment...

See this news about a missile test.

In the 2nd paragraph, note that the target was the Kwajalein Atoll. Most forum spammers use that as their timezone. Is this just a coincidence!?

- Andy
Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I can't resist another comment...

See this news about a missile test.

In the 2nd paragraph, note that the target was the Kwajalein Atoll. Most forum spammers use that as their timezone. Is this just a coincidence!?

- Andy

LOL ... very very funny !
Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I just don't understand how this could have happened... you mean people click on those spam links!?
If people didn't, the spam would stop. Unfortunately for every spam there's an idiot willing to give their credit card details...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 02-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I just can't believe it! The same people who used spam to sell cheap prescription drugs were actually selling fake versions of those drugs: 11 arrested in counterfeit drug sales.

I'm absolutely shocked, shocked, by this news. I never would have thought it was possible that these people couldn't be trusted! To think that these kind people took over $19 million from those who responded to their spam, in return for absolutely nothing of value...

- Andy

They were the ones who got the plecibo version of the drug..... Unfortunately they didn't like that answer and neither does it appear did the Judge.

Eh go figure!
AMD athlon64X2 3800+, Foxconn (Winfast 6150K8MA-8EKRS) 6150, Windows Vista Ultimate, Geforce FX EVGA 7800gt CO, 1gig 400mhz ddr Ram, 500 gig Western Digital Sata 2 hard drive 8 meg cache, Tuners: Wintv PVR 500 dual tuner, Fusion3 GoldT, NEC 3540a dvd+rw, Sagetv 5.0 Dell 20.1" 2005FPW
Old 08-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

My latest comment on forum spammers... I just thougth it was funny that today's spammer made sure their email address in the spam posts was written in a way to make it harder for spam bots to read & gather their email address... even though they think nothing of spamming others. It kind of makes me wish there was a spam signup form for them somewhere.

- Andy
Old 08-08-2007, 11:03 AM
SageTVaholic

The best anti-spam invention would be a button people could click on (or if someone opens and reads the post) that would send an electric shock to the spammer. Sort of an online cattle prod. Then the spammer would have physical evidence of how often it is accessed.