SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stuttering Videos - Possible Fix

In the beginning of using the Media Extender (MVP) I had some stuttering. Actually it would play for 2 seconds, stop for 1 second play for 2 ... so on. Thought this was a problem with recording quality and lowered it. Seemed to help.

Just recently it strated again. I rebooted MVP, no help.
Rebooted server, no help.

The video played fine on server but terrible on MVP (both recorded and LiveTV). I then realized it had to be the LAN connection. When I repair computers (for a living) I do a disable / enable on NIC connection (akin to restarting computer) which seems to fix a lot of network connection problems. What is frustrating is the lack of any tweaks we can do on the MVP unit. There have been numerous posts pointing to network problems, including a "tweak" from "Hauppauge" themselves (which did not work for me).

So I tried unplugging the MVP power AND Cat5 cable. Replugged both and voila. At first I thought fluke, but since I have done this twice now I wanted to pass it on.

Good luck and enjoy you MVP
Old 04-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting... sounds a lot like it is sometimes having issues auto-detecting the network link partner and possibly defaulting to something other then 100 Full duplex... Do you happen to have a managed switch that you could connect the MVP with and check the settings that the switch itself sees? It might be an interesting test to see a little more data from the network side. I know not everyone has higher end network gear at home, but I thought I would place the idea in your and others heads.

If I had a Hauppauge MVP I would give it a shot myself by connecting it to my Linksys SRW2016 managed gigabit switch and let you know what it saw as the connection...