SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

New Linux version

Quote:
The new placeshifting functionality is available immediately as a $30 add-on to both the Windows and Linux OEM editions of just-released SageTV Media Center Version 5.0.
Press release on v5 says there is a new linux version too. Where can I get the new version? the siite where I download the linux version before still as only v4.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Sage

We'll have a V5 beta for Linux out within a week that has Placeshifting (and also a Placeshifting client for Linux). Sorry for any confusion about this in the press release.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Sage User

Narflex, will you be maintaining the 4.x branch, or will we have to buy an upgrade to get bugfixes for the Linux version?

Arawak
Old 04-26-2006, 01:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
SageTV 5 is a free update for 4.x

_Demo_
Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
Woo-hoo!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_

_Demo_

nice.. what are some of the new features? Just place shifting? how about a install that isn't part of a .iso. It would be nice to reinstall without blasting the hd everytime. I know this is already planned, just wondering if 5 will be part of it.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:41 AM

Question It's been a week or so, any update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
We'll have a V5 beta for Linux out within a week that has Placeshifting (and also a Placeshifting client for Linux). Sorry for any confusion about this in the press release.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 AM

We'll have a beta ready soon.

_Demo_
Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I can't wait!

Hopefully we can see new ISO by Thursday?
I have window a free time, which is unusual.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Apparantly you can - he posted this 10 days before you posted

Cheers

Mark
Old 05-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

another week... i cannot use the device i bought from sage (the MVP). can someone please release the new linux version or at least the MVP.bin that will work with the current version and the new MVPs?
Old 05-20-2006, 09:28 AM

You should be able to use the mvp.bin from the windows version.

_Demo_
Old 05-20-2006, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

_Demo_,

Any timeline on the release of the PlaceShifter client for Linux?

Thanks,

B
Old 05-20-2006, 11:26 AM

The placeshifter should be ready soon since it will be part of the main setup. The placeshifter will be used for the interface and the server will always run in a mode similar to previous mode 0 installs. If you want to be ready you can start downloading the Gentoo linux 2006.0 installer cd as it will be used for the first step of the setup.

You can find livecd-i686-installer-2006.0.iso on the gentoo mirrors at http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml

_Demo_
Old 05-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

that has not worked as of yet... i have tried various windows versions and it causes my existing MVPs to constantly reboot. have you tried using the windows MVP.bin with the linux version?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

the MVP.bin file is the file load for the MVP. It's not a "windows" version. It's just a file that contains the OS/app load for a MVP.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:21 PM

Just a couple of observations. If I'm off base, I'm sure someone will set me straight.

1. I'm sure this OEM business makes a lot of business sense, but to me and probably others, it's starting to seem like an excuse for providing very limited support but still collecting license fees from the geeky masses. I understand the challenges, but still, it would be nice to see a little more good faith effort put forth, which is not to say that anyone isn't working hard enough, but maybe the priorities need adjusting, or more resources need to be devoted to this version?

2. The big software venders that have been around for a long time (IBM comes to mind), tend to release for all platforms at the same time, probably because it keeps the customers happier overall even if they have to wait a bit longer. I don't really know what implications that would have for the release schedule, but as a paying customer, I shouldn't be expected to care.

FYI - Recently I've gotten frustrated and dropped Sage in favor of Mythtv. Last time I tried it was less than fully baked, but so far it's working better, partly due to improvements with ivtv driver support. This really chaps my a.. since I own SageTV, SageTV client, SageTV recorder, and MVP. Do the math, then flush the toilet.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

gplaskey: i understand what mvp.bin is... if you look at _demo_'s post, you will see that he suggested using mvp.bin from the windows +version+

thx

/jer
Old 05-21-2006, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page and understand there was no difference between the two. And have you tried the latest?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 05-21-2006 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisoj1
Just a couple of observations. If I'm off base, I'm sure someone will set me straight.

1. I'm sure this OEM business makes a lot of business sense, but to me and probably others, it's starting to seem like an excuse for providing very limited support but still collecting license fees from the geeky masses. I understand the challenges, but still, it would be nice to see a little more good faith effort put forth, which is not to say that anyone isn't working hard enough, but maybe the priorities need adjusting, or more resources need to be devoted to this version?

2. The big software venders that have been around for a long time (IBM comes to mind), tend to release for all platforms at the same time, probably because it keeps the customers happier overall even if they have to wait a bit longer. I don't really know what implications that would have for the release schedule, but as a paying customer, I shouldn't be expected to care.

FYI - Recently I've gotten frustrated and dropped Sage in favor of Mythtv. Last time I tried it was less than fully baked, but so far it's working better, partly due to improvements with ivtv driver support. This really chaps my a.. since I own SageTV, SageTV client, SageTV recorder, and MVP. Do the math, then flush the toilet.

Way off base.

The Linux version was designed and created with nothing but the OEM in mind. This was NEVER intended for the masses and Frey continued to NOT release it for the masses until enough people got on the forum boards and became vocal enough to twist their arms.

They agreed to release the software to the end user with the SPECIFIC understand that Frey WILL NOT provide the support to the end user. Use the forum and other users for support. OEM's PAY for this support for the product. Please search the forums for the correct information before assuming.

If you're looking for a more mature and something easier to maintain then you're better off with the Windows version. The Linux version is designed for OEMs to design and build dedicated hardware systems with a limited, select choice of hardware. Thus the limitations to Hauppague tuners, nVidia video cards, one Linux OS, etc. Because Linux is so open you can build and compile your own but don't expect it to be supported.

Please research and learn what it is you are purchasing BEFORE you do and complain about it.

Gerry