SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Watching while recording - Stop recording at the end

OK, Let's say I have told Sage to record a show...

Then I start watching the show. Then I fall asleep. When I wake up in the morning, I find that it was recording that channel all night. Is there a way to make Sage stop at the end of the recording?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Administrator

It will stop when a prerecorded show finishes, but not for live TV. Once you are in live TV mode, it continues as long as you let it play. I think the customizations forum has a sleep timer import; check the sticky list of customizations for a link.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think sixdouble0 may be right. I haven't formerly tested this because I haven't watched alot of TV lately. However, I have noticed the same thing on 3 occasions where I go to recordings and start watching the one which is currently being recorded. At no time did I use the 'Watch Live TV' option and yet I believe it does continue recording after the show has ended.

Initially I thought I had made a mistake, but now that I see someone else mentioning it ... Obviously I'll have to test this, but I suspect a bug has been introduced in a recent release.
Sage 7.1.9, Java Java 1.7.0_75, Windows 8.1, Athlon X4 620, 4GB, Hauppauge 950Q, ATI 650HD video encoder with IR/Blaster, Radeon 5450, HDMI out, TV is primary monitor, Plex Plug-in serves up to mobile devices/PS3/WiiU just fine
Old 04-28-2006, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

If you start watching a show while it's airing, it's considered "Live".
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Sage User

This behavior is lowering the WAF factor for me. I'm trying to ween her away from the Tivo, but it's been hard because of this. She has a few shows that she likes to start watching about 30 mins after they start airing, but are still recording. The question I get is, "why doesn't Sage know that the show is over?"
Is there any way to change this behavior?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonessc
This behavior is lowering the WAF factor for me. I'm trying to ween her away from the Tivo, but it's been hard because of this. She has a few shows that she likes to start watching about 30 mins after they start airing, but are still recording. The question I get is, "why doesn't Sage know that the show is over?"
Is there any way to change this behavior?
It's a feature not a bug. If you're watching a time shifted show and want to watch the next program that comes on as well you can. If Sage stopped recording at the designated time then you'd just be out of luck because the first part of the show would already be over with. Some people may not like it, but I'd imagine there are just as many if not more that like the way it currently behaves.

All your wife has to do is press the stop button once she's finished watching.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

It does know when the show is over; in fact, it stops recording that show when it is over & starts recording the next one. Since you are watching it while it is recording (thus 'live TV'), it is set up to continue recording subsequent shows. All you have to do is press the Stop button on your remote & it will stop playback & live TV recording will also stop. Scheduled recordings will continue either way.

But, no there is no setting to change that behavior. I simply watch shows when I have time to watch them, instead of when the networks air them.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
All your wife has to do is press the stop button once she's finished watching.
Not quite all. In the default STV, pressing Stop in this case takes you to the Program Guide. If you started from SageTV Recordings, and expected to end up back there when the show is over (the normal behavior for non-live recordings), getting dumped into Program Guide can be a bit disorienting, and requires a few extra keypresses to get back to where you want to be. All of which tends to increase the annoyance factor a bit.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick
Not quite all. In the default STV, pressing Stop in this case takes you to the Program Guide. If you started from SageTV Recordings, and expected to end up back there when the show is over (the normal behavior for non-live recordings), getting dumped into Program Guide can be a bit disorienting, and requires a few extra keypresses to get back to where you want to be. All of which tends to increase the annoyance factor a bit.
If you map the Sage recordings to the remote it'll take 1 key press to take her back there after hitting stop for a total of 2 key presses.

No offense intended, but it amazes me that for all Sage is capable of doing how the smallest things seem to be major inconviences and prevent people from wanting to use the software. I've been trying to get my mom to use it. There's nothing in particular that she finds confusing she's just always intimidated by technology I guess.

Last edited by blade; 04-28-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Sage Icon

I too find this "feature" a pain in the ... (bug). It would be better if you would at least end up in the recordings menu after hitting stop, as that is the menu you came from. It leaves someone disoriented to have the program act differently when it is being used the same way by the user.

I.E. I start watching a show from the recordings window, I hit stop and I come back to the recordings window. But if I start watching a show in the recordings window that is still recording, I end up somewhere else? As I don't care if it is recording or not I want it to act the same. That is the whole idea of a PVR, is it not? How it works now just does not make since.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the responses. I am aware that this is a "feature"...and it completely makes sense to me why it's done this way. I'm not at all arguing that it should be "my" way. I know that my viewing habits are probably very much different than the average user.

Nonetheless, I was just wondering if there was a way to make it stop at the end of shows. It seems most of my TV watching is done right before bed now and I seem to more and more be falling asleep to a currently-recording program. The one that usually gets me is Saturday Night Live... I always think I'll stay up but I never do. Getting old....
Old 04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
All you have to do is press the Stop button on your remote & it will stop playback & live TV recording will also stop. Scheduled recordings will continue either way.

But, no there is no setting to change that behavior. I simply watch shows when I have time to watch them, instead of when the networks air them.

- Andy
My point was that I'm fast asleep and can't press any buttons.

I agree on the watch shows when I want to watch them part. But some of them are somewhat habitual....like Saturday Nite Live. Saturday night just isnt Saturday night unless I watch my SNL.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator

My reply you quoted was in response to someone else; my first reply to you suggested the sleep timer in the customizations forum.

- Andy
Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
My reply you quoted was in response to someone else; my first reply to you suggested the sleep timer in the customizations forum.

- Andy
Oh, OK. I see that now. I will check out the sleep timer. However, I don't think it's going to do it...see, because where I have this problem is in my bedroom, and in the bedroom I have an MVP. So I assume the sleep timer sleeps a client. I definitely don't want the server sleeping.

Either way, I'll look into it. Thanks Andy!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Sage User

I've got to agree that I'd like to see it as an option. It's easier to explain to people that if they didn't select "Watch Live TV" that it's going to stop at the end of the show no matter what.

Try to explain that "you might actually want to watch the next show" when I wake up and find Barney and the "Paid Programming" shows filling all my disk space and my "Man Show" copies all deleted.

You can't press buttons when you're drunk. (grin)

Option Please? (I'd even go so far as to recommend that this be the default option or maybe even have the "polite" feature of TV to ask the viewer about it)
Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Has this "feature" received any more consideration? Could this be a properties file setting or something? force_stop_at_end_of_recording=true

To recap...if you start watching a show under "Sage Recordings" and that show is not finished recording, Sage thinks you are watching LiveTV. I fall asleep, and all night (and all the next day) the tuner records that channel for me...thinking I'm still watching LiveTV.

Again...this isn't a show that I just grabbed from the guide and started watchin...this is a scheduled recording that happens to not be finished yet.

Thoughts?