SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Sage User

Run Placeshifter from USB Drive?

Is there a way of installing a "portable" version of the new placeshifter program? I'd like to add it to my portable utilities USB drive that I carry with me. Would be nice to be able to pop in the drive and use sage on any computer with an internet connection. If this is possible it would really make sage an ultimate entertainment product.

Thanks in advance,

David
Old 04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Sage

Just unzip this: http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaceshifter.zip and put that on the USB drive. It'll require that Java is installed on the machine; but it'll work with even Java 1.3 so that's installed on almost everything out there.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Administrator

You could try this: Placeshifter on USB KEY.

Edit: we must have been typing at the same time.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Sage User

That's what I needed to hear. Thank you guys. Time for a day of upgrading in my future.....
Old 07-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

PlaceShifter on a USB key ?

Now that I have used PlaceShifter both a home as an extender and this week for the first time travelling (woo hoo ), I'm hooked.

I was wondering if anyone had tried/discussed placing a PlaceShifter client on a USB key to run directly from the USB key. It would allow the application to run directly off the USB key on any computer without installing the app on the computer being used.

Excuse me if this is far more complicated than it appears, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone had tried it or given it any thought.

TIA.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg
placing a PlaceShifter client on a USB key
Question merged here; see discussion above.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Question merged here; see discussion above.

- Andy
Thanks Andy - Excuse my lazyness ... Thou shall use Search, Thou shall use Search ...
Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Sage Expert

Is this link updated for V6?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Just unzip this: http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaceshifter.zip and put that on the USB drive. It'll require that Java is installed on the machine; but it'll work with even Java 1.3 so that's installed on almost everything out there.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question U3 version?

I've been using PlaceShifter from a thumbdrive for a while and it works great. I just got a new thumbdrive that can use U3 programs. Any chance of seeing a U3 version of PlaceShifter? I can't imagine that it needs anything but their custom installer to make it work since the app is already self-contained.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblinckmann
I've been using PlaceShifter from a thumbdrive for a while and it works great. I just got a new thumbdrive that can use U3 programs. Any chance of seeing a U3 version of PlaceShifter? I can't imagine that it needs anything but their custom installer to make it work since the app is already self-contained.
Just use this...

http://www.eure.ca/

It works great for creating a U3 package...

-Jason
Old 10-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's so cool! Thanks! That will help with a lot of software!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Sage User

Can Ver. 6 Placeshifter be run from USB

I used version 5 with great success. Is there a version 6 for USB?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't need a special installer for USB. Just run the regular Placeshifter V6 installer on your hard drive and then copy the Program Files\SageTV\Placeshifter folder to your USB stick.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Narflex,

Is there a new ZIP of placeshifter for 6.1 or is this the version to use? I noticed there's no change to the files within the zip.... They are the same files used a long time ago.

Thx

Ariel
Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just tried it with my server running v6.1 and it works fine!

(I noticed after I replied that this is an old thread.......oops)
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

USB Drive

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I saw alot of responses pointing toward it.

One response said to unzip the file on the USB drive. It looks like Placeshifter is now an .exe file. So what is the best way to install Placeshifter onto a USB drive along with the license?

How much room would it take? Would a 1GB USB drive work?
Thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMan321 View Post
One response said to unzip the file on the USB drive. It looks like Placeshifter is now an .exe file. So what is the best way to install Placeshifter onto a USB drive along with the license?
It's sort of annoying, but you have to install Placeshifter on a machine using the .exe file, and then copy the installation directory (Program Files/SageTV/Placeshifter) to your flash drive.

This is completely optional, but if you want, you can also copy the contents of your JRE folder on your machine (Program Files/Java/jreXXX) to your new Placeshifter directory on your flash drive. Make the name of the JRE folder simply "JRE". This will let you run the placeshifter on machines that don't have java installed.

Quote:
How much room would it take? Would a 1GB USB drive work?
Thanks
It will take something on the order of 15 megabytes. About 100MB if you decide you also want to put the JRE on the flash drive too.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
It's sort of annoying, but you have to install Placeshifter on a machine using the .exe file, and then copy the installation directory (Program Files/SageTV/Placeshifter) to your flash drive.

This is completely optional, but if you want, you can also copy the contents of your JRE folder on your machine (Program Files/Java/jreXXX) to your new Placeshifter directory on your flash drive. Make the name of the JRE folder simply "JRE". This will let you run the placeshifter on machines that don't have java installed.

It will take something on the order of 15 megabytes. About 100MB if you decide you also want to put the JRE on the flash drive too.
Thanks for the help.

At what point should I enter the license info? I want to set this up so that both my wife or I can use it when we are traveling by ourselves with the USB drive on either of our laptops.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

You don't enter a license for Placeshifter on the client side (your USB stick, in this case). You enter the license on the Server to allow a Placeshifter client or extender to connect to it.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMan321 View Post
At what point should I enter the license info? I want to set this up so that both my wife or I can use it when we are traveling by ourselves with the USB drive on either of our laptops.
Thanks
As can3gxw said, you don't have to enter license information on placeshifter clients. Placeshifter licensing works different than SageTV Client licensing. Licensing is done server side. So, say you have one placeshifter license installed on your server. You can install placeshifter on as many machines as you want, but only one machine can connect to your server at any given time.

So, it sounds like you don't even have to use Placeshifter on a USB stick to do what you want to do.