SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Sage User

Do i have my remote control options understood

Ok, i've been doing some more reading and it seems my cheapest bet as of may 2006 is to just buy a microsoft mce remote with the ir receiver for about $40. then later maybe i can buy a harmony remote and still use the ir reciever from the mce remote, plus use it for other things as well such as my receiver, projector, etc. right now i just want to be able to control sage with a remote. and i hope i'm correct in assuming i can wake my htpc from s3 with the usb mce remote??

is the only other option for the harmony remotes to work with a pc to have a usb-uirt? because that right there is closer to $50, so why not just get the mce one with the remote and receiver?
i don't have a cable box to control on my main pc. i currently have a hauppauge 45 button remote, but the tuner card with the plug in is down inthe basement. i assume i could still use the ir blaster of the tuner card and put my cable box downstairs eventually, but dont' need to know.

Don't care for the firefly mini much, and the rf firefly woulnd't work with my receiver, projector, etc.

i can't seem to find another ir receiver to use with the harmony remotes. i guess i'd like to have something like the harmony 628 to control everything at once, but i need to find a usb ir receiver. i do have a serial ir receiver from an old pinnacle remote, but i'm not even sure how to get that to work, and i'm almost possitive i couldn't get it to work with waking up the htpc.

sorry for my rambling. if anyone has any insight, shoot.

the other option is that my projector came with a learning remote of some type, the panasonic ae900. need to do some reading on that. perhaps with a usb receiver i can use it instead.

thanks,
Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Sage Expert

I have the setup you describe, bought a MCE remote and receiver. I'm not using Sage's built-in support for MCE, because there are several functions I want to do that are not mapped to the standard buttons. So, I use Girder to perform the translation between the button I press and the Sage command I want executed.

Interesting that the price has gone up on these. I got mine for around $30 shipped (now about $40 shipped from Newegg). Maybe I just got lucky...
Old 05-03-2006, 12:50 PM
SageTVaholic

With the latest version if you set it for the MCE remote you can use any button on the remote to perform whatever Sage command you want. Just have Sage learn it if it doesn't do what you want.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Sage User

so, i'm also assuming that i can't just use the ir receiver from my old pinnacle remote, and the hauppauge remote together in sage... that would be the best since i already have the hauppauge 45 button remote. perhaps i'll have to use girder then instead of sage. i realize the mce remote (and its usb receiver) work off of a different protocol than other traditional remotes.

thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
With the latest version if you set it for the MCE remote you can use any button on the remote to perform whatever Sage command you want. Just have Sage learn it if it doesn't do what you want.
I don't have the MCE remote, but I thought it used the MCE buttons as they are, not what you assign them to be. I don't believe it responds to the IR codes that the MCE receiver sees, but rather to the Windows messages that result from pressing a button, the same as it does for the multimedia keys on a keyboard that has such keys.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezero
so, i'm also assuming that i can't just use the ir receiver from my old pinnacle remote, and the hauppauge remote together in sage...
That receiver wouldn't get used directly by SageTV, so you would have to rely on any software that came with the receiver, or girder/some other software like you mentioned.

SageTV doesn't use the Hauppauge receiver directly either, btw. The Hauppauge IR software is simply being configured to be able to control SageTV.

The only receivers that I know of that SageTV controls directly are the USB-UIRT and IRMan.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Sage User

well, of all the stupid things, i don't even have a serial port on my newer motherboard. short story, i bought the mce remote and usb receiver. and i did find out my panasonic projector remote is learning so i may end up using both, and hopefully it can learn a few of the buttons.

thakns for the help guys.