SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

MCE remote driver for XP Home?

Does anyone know where I can get the MCE remote driver to use with XP home? I don't have a copy of MCE or XP Pro to pull it from and can't seem to find a place to download it.

I'm currently using HIP, but sometimes it's response is a little slow when playing back recordings. I'd like to try out Sage's new built in support for the MCE remote to see if it's any quicker.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Try these drivers http://www.byremote.com.au/Hip/mce_remote_faq.htm I dont know about Home but they work for Pro. I see no reason why they wouldnt work.

Miller
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Those are the replacement drivers that I'm already using with HIP. My understanding is that they won't work with Sage's built in support for the MCE remote.

Are you saying they are supported by Sage?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Does anyone know where I can get the MCE remote driver to use with XP home? I don't have a copy of MCE or XP Pro to pull it from and can't seem to find a place to download it.

I'm currently using HIP, but sometimes it's response is a little slow when playing back recordings. I'd like to try out Sage's new built in support for the MCE remote to see if it's any quicker.
When you connect the receiver and allow XP to go on the internet after you click update driver in Device Manager, the drivers get downloaded from Microsoft. Not sure if that works for every version of Windows XP though.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
Not sure that Sage Supports them but I'm 99% sure those are the ones I'm using with my client machine.

Miller
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisAcker
When you connect the receiver and allow XP to go on the internet after you click update driver in Device Manager, the drivers get downloaded from Microsoft. Not sure if that works for every version of Windows XP though.
The remote isn't natively supported by XP Home. Only XP Pro and MCE. Everything I've read said that I need to get the drivers from an XP Pro copy or MCE copy of windows in order for it to work. I've had no luck with windows update nor have I been able to find them to download.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by millers_35
Not sure that Sage Supports them but I'm 99% sure those are the ones I'm using with my client machine.

Miller
I'm using those with HIP for my Sage client now, but they don't seem to work natively with Sage.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Since 4.1.14, SageTV supports it, but you should enable it in setup.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Sage User

Blade: You need two files for the Windows XP native MCE Remote driver, irbus.inf and irbus.sys.

You can get them with the following procedure.
1) Download the Windows Update "Update Rollup 2 for eHome Infrared Receiver for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB912024)" from microsoft. It is available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.
2) run the downloaded executable. When the Hotfix install wizard appears on the screen... STOP!! do not continue with the installation wizard.
3) run notepad, and open the file named kb912024.log that is located in your windows system directory (usually c:\windows\).
4) on the fourth line of this file you will find the path to the update executable (ie: c:\0d5602f37f532d2198a162164df6\update\update.exe).
5) Open Windows and navigate to the root of this path (ie: c:\0d5602f37f532d2198a162164df6). There you will find SP2QFE. Navigate to this directory.
6) In the SP2QPE directory you will find the irbus.sys file. In the "ip" directory will contain the irbus.inf file.
7) Copy these two files to a temporary directory of your choice.
8) Go back to the Hotfix install wizard and select CANCEL. The wizard will ask if you are sure... answer yes. The wizard will clean up after itself.

You now have the native Microsoft eHome receiver drivers needed to install your MCE compatible remote.

donkey: The third party driver does not work with the SageTV MCE Remote support. And with the native microsoft drivers, the IR Blaster does not work. It's a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation. Using the SageTV built-in support for MCE = no blaster... using the third party drivers = extra software to install.

Last edited by cybrmage; 05-04-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks cybrmage!!! I've got the files, now to see how it works.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Sage Expert

did it work?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagar
did it work?
Works perfectly.

I just wish there was a way to map the skip buttons to custom 4 and 5 for use with comskip. Other than that I'm completely happy.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 AM

Thankyou so much .... Cybermag

Hi

I just wanted to join this forum and post up to thank so much Cybermag for the above post. I have been trying so many forums to get a solution to my MCE remote working under xp..... and this was the only one that finally got it working... your an absolute star if I knew were you where id have bought you a pint top banana... all the best James UK
Old 06-22-2007, 03:37 AM

HELP !!

i cant solve this driver problem
after i got the files (irbus.sys and irbus.inf )
what should i do with them ?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 PM

Thank you so much!

I searched high and low all day to get this remote to work and the answer was right here for the taking the whole time. I don't know how I would ever manage to do what I do with Sage without this forum, you guys are awesome!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:05 AM

How about Windows Server 2003

Does anyone know how to do this on Windows Server 2003. I tried the steps above with the sys files. It still shows a yellow question mark next in the Device Manager?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrmage View Post
donkey: The third party driver does not work with the SageTV MCE Remote support. And with the native microsoft drivers, the IR Blaster does not work. It's a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation. Using the SageTV built-in support for MCE = no blaster... using the third party drivers = extra software to install.
Hm. This is interesting, as I'm actually wanting to use this only as a blaster to send Sage channel changes to an STB, but not to use the MCE remote. I have a Gyration remote that I prefer.

Is that what this means? I'm assuming the blaster is not tied to remote activity, as you would want it to trigger an STB channel change for scheduled recordings when you're not around.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirecreative View Post
Hm. This is interesting, as I'm actually wanting to use this only as a blaster to send Sage channel changes to an STB, but not to use the MCE remote. I have a Gyration remote that I prefer.

Is that what this means? I'm assuming the blaster is not tied to remote activity, as you would want it to trigger an STB channel change for scheduled recordings when you're not around.
I also want to use this as a blaster, and I am not so concerned about the remote. I am running XP pro with WinTV-HVR 1600 Media Center Kit. When I bought it, I didn't realize that this was for Windows Media Center only... I just thought it came with an FM player as opposed to the regular 1600 which doesn't have one. My mistake. Before finding this thread I had already managed to get the remote to work, but now I am spending way too much time in trying to get the stupid blaster to work. Do I need to do a complete reinstall of my OS? And then do something different? When I try starting the Hauppauge IR Blaster configuration an error message comes up "Could not find IR hardware". I think this is mainly because that software is for the 1600 boards that have the Ir Blaster port on board and not the USB one. But looking for any sort of software to configure the blaster on Hauppauge's website only says that Windows Media Center does all of this. I don't see anything in sage that would allow me to configure it... so am I screwed? Any ideas? Should I just RMA it, and take the restocking fee/shipping loss?

If I should return it, what tuner board should I get. I need something that has QAM. I see this version of the 1600 tuner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...815116009#spec

Under the specifications it says that it has a IR blaster, but it isn't on board either, so I am left to wonder if it is the same USB blaster what the difference is between the boards that would make this one work with XP, as is stated in the specs. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidGoldfish View Post
I also want to use this as a blaster, and I am not so concerned about the remote. I am running XP pro with WinTV-HVR 1600 Media Center Kit. When I bought it, I didn't realize that this was for Windows Media Center only... I just thought it came with an FM player as opposed to the regular 1600 which doesn't have one. My mistake. Before finding this thread I had already managed to get the remote to work, but now I am spending way too much time in trying to get the stupid blaster to work. Do I need to do a complete reinstall of my OS? And then do something different? When I try starting the Hauppauge IR Blaster configuration an error message comes up "Could not find IR hardware". I think this is mainly because that software is for the 1600 boards that have the Ir Blaster port on board and not the USB one. But looking for any sort of software to configure the blaster on Hauppauge's website only says that Windows Media Center does all of this. I don't see anything in sage that would allow me to configure it... so am I screwed? Any ideas? Should I just RMA it, and take the restocking fee/shipping loss?

If I should return it, what tuner board should I get. I need something that has QAM. I see this version of the 1600 tuner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...815116009#spec

Under the specifications it says that it has a IR blaster, but it isn't on board either, so I am left to wonder if it is the same USB blaster what the difference is between the boards that would make this one work with XP, as is stated in the specs. Any help is much appreciated.
Use this:

LM Remote Keymap software

Or read the FAQ regarding MCE remotes:
Remotes FAQand go about 3/4 of the ways down.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Sage User

To revive an old thread, has anyone else had any success with getting their MCE remote to work with Windows 2003 Server? (I have the MCE remote which came with my Hauppauge PVR-150).