SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

ive installed java 1.4.11 yesterday to play around and do some testing, i didnt really see a difference in the amount of handle/memory usage, everything is fine until i get up around 1 million handles/350+meg resource usage and everything starts going to the crapper. doesnt make a difference if im using java 1.4 or java 1.5 (for me)

ive since went back to sage 4.1.8 and i didnt realize it before, but the resource usage is literally 1/10 of what sage 5.0.2 uses (in my case). ive decided to stick with 4.1.8 and java 1.4.11 for a while as the rest of the family was getting a little upset with long pauses/hangs in the ui and random crashing to desktop.

glad to know that the developers found an issue and a fix is being worked on though.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Sage

This is the bug in Sun's library of the problem:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6399321

Based on this, we're recommending users use JRE 1.5.0_05 from Sun instead of 1.5.0_06. This was a bug introduced by Sun in the latest download of Java.

A version of java where this problem is does NOT occur is available here:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive..._05/index.html
Old 05-15-2006, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Jeff,

If all I have on the box is SageTV would you recommend 1.5.5 or 1.4.2.11? I want the best performance for Sage.

TIA

B
Old 05-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

My machine must have a different problem... aargh! Here's what I tried:
Stopped Sage service.

Uninstalled both versions of Java that were installed: 1.4.2 and 1.5.0_06.

Downloaded and installed Java 1.5.0_05 from the link given.

Rebooted.

Started Sage, went into setup, verified video renderer = overlay.

Started Windows task manager to monitor handles.

From video library, viewed an .avi file that uses Divx 3.11 and MP3 codecs.

Handle count was ~615 at main sage menu, ~725 by the time I reached video library. As soon as video started playing, handle count began quickly increasing.

Stopped viewing movie, went into setup, selected video renderer = VMR9.

Exited and restarted Sage, navigated and started viewing same movie. Same result: steadily increasing handles (exceeds 2000 after only a few moments).

Any other ideas?

Eric

Eric Law
Old 05-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Sage User

I'm not sure if these are the same symptoms, but I've been having a problem if watching a show while it was being recorded. Often I'd skip past commercials or rewind - the audio would drop, then the video would freeze, and finally the Sage spinning icon would appear.

The only way to fix it was to terminate the Sage process. (just the gui, the service was OK)

Last night I found that I had multiple JVMs installed, including the problematic 1.5_06. I uninstalled ALL of them, deleted the \program files\java dir, and wiped out the HLKM\Software\JavaSoft entires.

Then I installed 1.05_05 - and last night watched Grey's Anatomy in its entirety through Sage, no troubles. This is also with VMR9/FSE.

Time will tell if the problem is really gone.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw
From video library, viewed an .avi file that uses Divx 3.11 and MP3 codecs.
If it is a problem with this file *only* and not with normal Sage MPGs, nor other .avis (divx5/Xvid/other), then this may indicate a problem with the installed Divx3.11 codec, rather than a problem with Sage -- Try monitoring handles when using another media player...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

No, that was only an example. I've got a large number of files encoded with various versions of Divx and Xvid, and various audio codecs (MP3, AC3), problem happens with all of them. It definitely does *not* happen with MPEG files, including when playing DVD's.

Also last night I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Sage. And tried 3 different versions of the driver for the (nVidia) video card. No luck.

Eric

Eric Law
Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Sage Expert

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
This is the bug in Sun's library of the problem:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6399321

Based on this, we're recommending users use JRE 1.5.0_05 from Sun instead of 1.5.0_06. This was a bug introduced by Sun in the latest download of Java.

A version of java where this problem is does NOT occur is available here:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive..._05/index.html

Jeffrey,

This is so ironic. Java release 6 was supposed to fix a slew of problems- check this out http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html#150_06

Java should also include info on the NEW bugs they cause. Its too bad in way Sage is built upon such a clunky engine like Java. That being said, I am still very impressed with Sage and especially the support.

Can't you make Sage run on some kind of your own version of psuedo-Java? At least then you can better control these issues.

EDIT - Scratch that, Sage would get sued by Sun.

I think I am on Java 1.5 05 and I have had no crashes or stuttering. I have not checked my task manager for memory leaks but will do so tonight.

Last edited by roxy99; 05-16-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw
No, that was only an example. I've got a large number of files encoded with various versions of Divx and Xvid, and various audio codecs (MP3, AC3), problem happens with all of them. It definitely does *not* happen with MPEG files, including when playing DVD's.

Also last night I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Sage. And tried 3 different versions of the driver for the (nVidia) video card. No luck.

Eric
This is definitely an issue with your codecs installed for DivX or Xvid or MP3 or AC3. It's not a SageTV issue or it would happen with MPEG files as well. See if you get the handle leak in WMP as well with playback of the files that were causing a leak in SageTV.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Jeff,

I think I owe you a case of beer!

It actually looks like my original hypothesis was right - I had multiple problems. Handle leak when viewing Xvid files was due to the Java bug, but there was also apparently a leak in my Divx decoder. Reverting to version 5.0.5 fixed the problem when viewing Divx files.

Thanks!

Eric Law
Old 05-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Sage Expert

Jeff,

Darn it, apperently I too had memory leak. I was using the infamous Java 1.5_06 and, believe it or not, also had Java runtime 1.4 installed at the same time.

I removed 1.5_06 and restarted Sage. I'll keep an eye on that memory leak now that I know what to look for.

EDIT- So far so good. Running 1.4 of Java and only 140mb memory used.

Last edited by roxy99; 05-17-2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Sage Expert

FWIW - Since down-grading to Java 1.4x my problems with Sage exiting to the desktop have ceased entirely.

XP MCE
Nvidia 6600
Purevideo
VMR9
etc, etc, etc
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy
FWIW - Since down-grading to Java 1.4x my problems with Sage exiting to the desktop have ceased entirely.

XP MCE
Nvidia 6600
Purevideo
VMR9
etc, etc, etc

We also have to make sure Java doesn't auto-update. Where is the feature in Java 1.4 to turn off auto-update?
Old 05-18-2006, 08:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy99
We also have to make sure Java doesn't auto-update. Where is the feature in Java 1.4 to turn off auto-update?
Go to Control Panel, switch to classic view (left side), open java plug-in and use update tab.

FWIW - I don't think it will update automatically, just tell you one is available.

B
Old 05-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Sage User

I also have a problem with handles. I am running 5.02 as a client. For me, the system (first Sage, then the OS) usually locks up when I'm navigating Music. I have uninstalled Java 1.6 tonight and re-installed 1.4 and still have the problem. I have also tried overlay with both versions of Java. No dice. Each time I open a new song or Tv show, the handles jump by 2-5 and are never released. I suspected a bad codec, but this also happens just jumping around in the Sage setup menu. Also, this is not new to Sage 5. I have had this at least since version 4.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Java RE 1.5.7 is out: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Java RE 1.5.7 is out: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
Still leaks handles using VMR9 with Sage 5.0.2
Old 05-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

based on the release notes for 1.5.0_07, it doesn't contain a fix for bug 6399321.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by emok
based on the release notes for 1.5.0_07, it doesn't contain a fix for bug 6399321.
You mean there have only been close to 6.4 million bugs in Java. Keep up the good work Sum microsystems.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

What are the symptoms of locking up? I've had my box locking up when I try and Stop a show that is playing. It just locks up and I have to end the task to get out of it. I have the 1.5.0_06 on my machine... It happens very rarely though...