SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Sage Icon

http://download.java.net/jdk6/binaries/

New snapshot. 01 Sept.

I'm getting constant crashes with the Aug. snapshot, so I think I'll give this one a shot.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
http://download.java.net/jdk6/binaries/

New snapshot. 01 Sept.

I'm getting constant crashes with the Aug. snapshot, so I think I'll give this one a shot.
let, us know how it goes. Thankfully I am still crash free from JAVA, but then again I do not use VMR9.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker
let, us know how it goes. Thankfully I am still crash free from JAVA, but then again I do not use VMR9.
I've gone back to 1.5.0_8. Ever since I dod a fresh install of Sage, using 1.6, I've had crashing (or rather, lock up) when stopping a playing show. I tried the original 1.6 beta 2, and 3 snapshots, and they all acted the same way.

After installing 1.5 again, I haven't had the same problem yet...only time will tell.

(However, I was getting a lock up with 1.6 about every 2-3 shows...lowers the WAF really low...)
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've had crashing (or rather, lock up) when stopping a playing show.
I get it with Java 1.4.11... but I am stuck at that version because of the Java 5 handle leak...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage Icon

LOL, I'm stuck at at least 1.5, due to some plugin's requiring it. But, I'd rather have the handle leak, and only have Sage crash once in a while, to having it crash at least once a day. With the handle leak, it can usually go several days on my system, without incident.

Man, I've never heard of so many problems with Java before. Is this because SageTV develops on a known version of Java, and never updates it? Or is it that newer versions of Java contain bugs that cause Sage to crash?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Sage Icon

I use the latest 1.5 that's on their download site. Never a problem, but I do have a batch file that re-boots my box daily, at 4AM.

P
Old 09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
I've gone back to 1.5.0_8. Ever since I dod a fresh install of Sage, using 1.6, I've had crashing (or rather, lock up) when stopping a playing show. I tried the original 1.6 beta 2, and 3 snapshots, and they all acted the same way.

After installing 1.5 again, I haven't had the same problem yet...only time will tell.

(However, I was getting a lock up with 1.6 about every 2-3 shows...lowers the WAF really low...)
I used 1.5.0_8 for a long time without issues, I only moved up to 1.6 to hopefully increase UI performance (which really didn't do anything). I have never seen the memory leak (as described in this thread) with any of the JAVA versions though.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Been following this one for a while. I am still using the Sage supplied version of java. My main sage box (server and playback) is rock solid now. No lockups in so long I cant remember the last time. My HD client is another matter. It occasionally locks up when navigating the UI but playback has been fine.

Is there a java version that is or has worked well for everyone? Will a nightly re-boot help? This machine has a gig of ram, would more help? I have got to get waf maxed out before the new fall season starts.

TIA

Jesse
Old 10-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Sage Icon

New version of 1.5 is out, 1.5.0_9

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Old 10-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
New version of 1.5 is out, 1.5.0_9

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Does this version fix the memory leak problems?
Old 10-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Sage Icon

Has anybody tried 1.7?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred
Has anybody tried 1.7?
Where's 1.7?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

I still use 1.4... leary of new versions until someone ELSE takes the faithful leap and tests it out first

I get maybe one freeze after many many days. Sometimes a couple weeks. Usually always happens while playing a show, while recording another. And when it occurs, the one that was recording gets corrupted beyond any possible recovery (thus losing that recording entirely even though sage resumes it after the machine reboots).

Other than that one problem, it runs solid. So, I just make a habit of quitting sage client, and relaunching it again every few days, just to be safe.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Where's 1.7?
http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/

I've been using it since I wrote that message and it has been working well. The thing is that it is dated back in July, but it doesn't seem to have the handle leak.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleHat
I still use 1.4... leary of new versions until someone ELSE takes the faithful leap and tests it out first

I get maybe one freeze after many many days. Sometimes a couple weeks. Usually always happens while playing a show, while recording another. And when it occurs, the one that was recording gets corrupted beyond any possible recovery (thus losing that recording entirely even though sage resumes it after the machine reboots).

Other than that one problem, it runs solid. So, I just make a habit of quitting sage client, and relaunching it again every few days, just to be safe.
If you are that concerned, why haven't you switched to running service mode? Then you don't have to worry if the UI crashes, your recording will not get interrupted, unless you have to reboot for some reason.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred
http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/

I've been using it since I wrote that message and it has been working well. The thing is that it is dated back in July, but it doesn't seem to have the handle leak.
I'm just surprised they have so many versions.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
If you are that concerned, why haven't you switched to running service mode? Then you don't have to worry if the UI crashes, your recording will not get interrupted, unless you have to reboot for some reason.
I already DO use service mode (since day one), and its when the UI comes to a complete hang, that I must force reboot. No amount of anything gets me out of Sage when it does this.

Thus, the forced reboot (or the combination of the solid hang and reboot) causes the current recording show from service to become corrupted.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Sage Icon

You are not able to kill the app using task manager? I don't think I've ever run into that before...
Old 10-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Nope. I've tried. OH have I tried. The main problem, is I run FSE, and it really gets into a tizzy when the UI freezes. I try alt tabbing, I try doing it from memory, I try hitting the windows key and up return right return (or other combinations). It just gets really hosed.

Its very rare though, and like I said, usually after a couple weeks of solid use. Usually when I don't watch any DVD movies for the weekend (because watching DVDs means I quit the SageUI and go to Zoomplayer).

However when I ran with 1.5 java, hangs and unexpected quits of the sage UI would occur almost every other day or so.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

So... what should the typical maximum number of handles be for the SageTV.exe process? Trying to determine if I have the memory leak using 1.5.09
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored