SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Sage User

MVP Low S-video output fix

Here is how I fixed the low s-video output on my two MVP's. Do this at your own risk. Open the MVP and remove the board. Turn the board over and look closely at the area near the s-video connector. Locate resistors R107 and R108 which are small black surface mount devices. These are 220 ohm termination resistors for the luma and chroma signals of the s-video output. Remove these two resistors. You can use a wide soldering iron to heat both sides at once and slide the resistor off or carefully cut them off with a pair of diagonal cutters. These resistors aren't really needed as the s-video signal should be terminated at 75ohm in the display device. You can fine tune the output by adding resistance from the luma and chroma signal to ground and maybe even use different values to fine tune the saturation. My MVP's are now at the same brightness levels as the TV Tuner and PVR-350. Before this mod, my MVP's were unusable unless I cranked up the brightness and contrast. Remember, do this at your own risk! Hope this helps.

Wally
Old 05-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

you wouldn't happen to have a fix to do the pvr500 overly bright sVideo capturing? Worth a shot
Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Sage Expert

Is this the 'it drops video on dark scenes' problem? 'Cause that's what I'm getting on mine.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any chance of you posting some screen shots?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Sage User

is this the new ver 2.4 boxes?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

I too vote on some screen shots. A before and after if possible.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:03 AM

Photos of the fix

OK...here is the procedure with photos. First of all you need to remove the four screws on the bottom of the case (Picture 001). Open the case...the cover comes off the top. You may have to carefully wedge the cover from the front plate as it is a tight fit (Picture 002). There are 2 screws holding the board to the bottom of the case that need to be removed (Picture 003).

The location of R107/R108 is near the s-video connector on the back side of the board (Picture 004). These components are TINY so you need very good lighting and eyes!

I used desoldering braid and my soldering iron to remove the tiny bit of solder on each end of the resistor. I then used a pocket knife (with a sharp blade) to remove the resistor from the circuit board. Carefully "pop" the resistor off the board...if you got all of the solder off it shouldn't take much force (Picture 011).

I checked where the resistor was on the circuit board with my multimeter to make sure that the solder didn't bridge the gap. You will get a reading, but it will be in the megaohms.

Put your MVP back together being careful to get everything lined up when you put the cover back on the case.

Enjoy the substantially improved image of the MVP!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002 (Small).jpg (46.4 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 001 (Medium).jpg (87.4 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003 (Medium).jpg (111.0 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004 (Medium).jpg (93.6 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 011 (Medium).jpg (82.7 KB, 424 views)
Old 10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage User

Hauppauge recognizes they have an issue with some of there MVP's resulting in an extremely red and dark output. I was dissapointed because I heard from others that the video out was supposed to be very good, but I was pleased with there customer support. They promptly got back to me and informed me that it was covered under warranty. I just sent the unit in this weekend, so I will let you know how the process goes when I get it back, but up to now it has been good. They were very quick to get back to me and told me I would recieve one back within 2-weeks.
Unlike sage they didn't even expect me to pay for a new version to fix issues with there older unit (yeah, I am still very soar).
Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 AM
Sage Expert

Great news!

Sore?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Awsome! Kev, once you get your unit back, can you take some pictures of the internal so we can do a comparison between the two? Has anyone done this also and can take some before and after pictures on picture quality? Definitely something I want to try out, but would like to verfy this fix will not kill my box.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't know about "quick". From all the posts I've seen this has been an issue since early 2005 at least. It is finally taking them this long to admit it? And if they knew it was a problem why are they still selling the bad units? I don't know what is happening at Hauppauge but it seems like they've recently fallen asleep in the engineering or QC department (i.e. PVR-500 MCE issues).

It will be interesting to see if their fix is basically the same as above...
Old 10-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenlj
is this the new ver 2.4 boxes?
this is a key but unanswered question
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech
this is a key but unanswered question
Look at picture 3 closely and you will see a slot for a wireless card and the number of connections on the back is more than on my version 1 MVP and also the version on the bottom of the MVP in picture 1 is H3. All of these would indicate that this is a Version 2.0? fix.

BobP.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ahhh crap, I didn't even notice that. I doubt this fix will work on the D3A then.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Sage Icon

I wonder if an external video amp would help - fixed or automatic gain?
Trick is to find a cheap one.
Maybe an old VCR tape copy-guard remover device.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Sage User

My unit is the old D3A issue. If they agree to fix it or replace it under warranty, why bother/risk trying to make improvments on your own? Of course if they are slow or don't get the unit back in a reasonable manner, that is another issue. I will let you know how it goes for me, I just sent it in this weekend so I won't be able to inform you for a couple of weeks.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech
I wonder if an external video amp would help - fixed or automatic gain?
Trick is to find a cheap one.
Maybe an old VCR tape copy-guard remover device.
Im sure it would. Plugging into a VCR helps tremendously, even though mine only has composite input. If your DVD player has an svideo input you might try that, though even composite through the VCR looks way better than its direct svideo connection.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
Hauppauge recognizes they have an issue with some of there MVP's resulting in an extremely red and dark output. I was dissapointed because I heard from others that the video out was supposed to be very good, but I was pleased with there customer support. They promptly got back to me and informed me that it was covered under warranty. I just sent the unit in this weekend, so I will let you know how the process goes when I get it back, but up to now it has been good. They were very quick to get back to me and told me I would recieve one back within 2-weeks.
Unlike sage they didn't even expect me to pay for a new version to fix issues with there older unit (yeah, I am still very soar).
Just ten days after I sent my old dark output MVP in under warranty, I got a new one back. As a bonus it is the new model with the digital sound output.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Sage Expert

Was your MVP under warranty? I've had mine for ~1 year and the receipt is destroyed. What did you need to provide to Haup?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 PM

I got a new one back. As a bonus it is the new model with the digital sound output.

I just got an email back from Hauppauge saying,"The MVP has a consistent brightness that can't be adjusted the only thing you can do is adjust the brightness on the TV itself." I then called tech support and they claimed the same thing. They also said I could send it back but that it would be tested to have a consistent brightness output compared to the models they produce and mine would just be sent back to me. Great TECH Support. I was able to adjust the levels on my capture card to output a brighter file so when its darkened by the MVP it looks much better.

KEV did you notice they had fixed the problem with your new model? Yours came with a digital out? bc they dont have that model listed on thier website. I would prefer a model with a digital out.