SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Lost Recordings after reinstall

I apologize if this has been asked, but searching the forum on "recordings" brings up a lot of stuff and I didn't see this question in there. So here goes...

I reinstalled SageTV after deleting the program files folder. Now SageTV says it has no recordings, but it does list all my shows under imported videos. Am I hosed, or can I get those recordings back into SageTV Recordings?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Sage Icon

All that info is stored in the wiz.bin file which you deleted along with everything else. If you have a backup from before you deleted it you can close Sage and stop the service and drop your backed up wiz.bin file into the new install folder.
When the show info is not in the wiz.bin and files are in the recording directories Sage imports them as imported videos.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thank you. I saved that file. Is there any danger that restoring it will bring back any of the problems I was having before I reinstalled. I had so many problems that I can't even list them all. What settings files are safe to restore now? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Sage Icon

I would just stick with restoring the wiz.bin the other stuff you can reconfigure which you've already started doing in the other thread you posted.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm a bit shy about restoring wiz.bin. I read in another thread that someone started having tuning problems again after restoring this file.

I want to first be sure that this reinstall fixed all my problems.

Maybe I'll wait a couple days and then I'll restore wiz.bin and test it.

The other thread mentioned that after restoring wiz.bin, the SageTV Recordings included the old ones plus the current ones. Does SageTV blend the wiz.bak file with the wiz.bin? Does it attempt to reconcile these files at each startup?

What else is in Wiz.bin? Is this where SageTV keeps info for intelligent recordings?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

No there is no merge.
Basically what will happen is any show you record from now on that happens to have the same unique ID and was in the EPG at the time you stopped using the old wiz.bin should import into Sage when restoring the old wiz.bin. Anything recorded after the guide data that was existent in the old wiz.bin I don't think will get its show info back after you restore the old one.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
No there is no merge.
Based on the fact that there is no merge, I decided to restore my prior wiz.bin. I can now confirm that this does indeed also restore (at least some of) the problems too.

In my case, tuning my cable box now fails after restoring wiz.bin!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

I would definitely contact support regarding this issue as I'm sure they'd like to resolve this problem since the wiz.bin should have no effect on tuning capabilities.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
I can now confirm...
I'm going to unconfirm that. I'm not sure what's going on, but maybe I still had problems before restoring my proir wiz.bin because reverting to the fresh wiz.bin doesn't solve the issue now...

Why can't this be simple!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Sage

What is the actual issue you're having now in SageTV?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

I appreciate the fact the the founder and CTO is taking the time to read the forum posts and reply.

In regard to this particular thread, I will describe one issue that is still troubling me a bit.

When I restored my prior wiz.bin file, this did achieve my goal of having my videos listed in SageTV Recordings. However, tuning my external cable box stopped working, but I now have that fixed.

What I have not yet figured out, is why I lost some category choices under Manage Favorites when I restored wiz.bin. After the clean install of SageTV 5.0.2 without my old wiz.bin, there was a category for Mountain Bikes (or Mountain Biking - I don't remember the exact name, but I selected it as a favorites category). When I restored wiz.bin, that favorite selection was gone (probably to be expected), but the category wasn't even present in the list any longer. The category list was different in other ways too.

Does the category list get updated (maybe when the guide is updated)? Or is that category list updated only on version upgrades? I'm just not sure how it works. I would like to know if I can update the category list and also keep my SageTV Recordings list.

Thanks. Keep up the good work on SageTV.

Last edited by dshields; 05-11-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshields
What I have not yet figured out, is why I lost some category choices under Manage Favorites when I restored wiz.bin. After the clean install of SageTV 5.0.2 without my old wiz.bin, there was a category for Mountain Bikes (or Mountain Biking - I don't remember the exact name, but I selected it as a favorites category). When I restored wiz.bin, that favorite selection was gone (probably to be expected), but the category wasn't even present in the list any longer. The category list was different in other ways too.

Does the category list get updated (maybe when the guide is updated)? Or is that category list updated only on version upgrades? I'm just not sure how it works. I would like to know if I can update the category list and also keep my SageTV Recordings list.
FYI, I got my answer. I checked today and the "Mountain Biking" category is now a choice under "New by Category" in Favorites manager, so I guess it gets updated with the EPG.