SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Sage User

Placeshifter License - confused?

This message is to help those users that are confused as to where to enter the placeshifter license - I was one of those. Unlike the SageTV client where the license key has to be entered on the machine running the client software, the placeshifter license has to be entered (actually 'registered') on the *server* machine running the main SageTV software.

In order to enter the license key, go to Start/Programs/SageTV/Register Placeshifter License. SageTV will prompt you for a valid key to be entered.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to drin Send a message via AIM to drin Send a message via Yahoo to drin
I have a SageClient 4.x license which I've never actually made use of. Can I transfer it to a PlaceShifter license? I tried entering it as my PlaceShifter license but I get told it's invalid, which I guess means they're not interchangeable.

Thanks!
-drin
Old 05-14-2006, 05:01 AM
SageTVaholic

No-Client license is only for the PC Client. Placeshifter license can also be used as a MVP license. And is server based. Current Sage policy does not allow converting of licenses from one to the other.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Sage User

Send a message via ICQ to drin Send a message via AIM to drin Send a message via Yahoo to drin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
No-Client license is only for the PC Client. Placeshifter license can also be used as a MVP license. And is server based. Current Sage policy does not allow converting of licenses from one to the other.

Gerry
Thanks for the reply Gerry. I understood the two are different and I apologize if my question caused confusion. I was asking if Frey will allow me to transfer my Client license to a PlaceShifter license since I own a Client license I'm not using. I've mailed Opus4 privately but I'm sure he's swamped with life (like the rest of us) and thought I'd ask here in case someone else had already done this. From your reply, however, it looks like they won't allow this. That's a little disappointing. I've owned SageTV since version 2.0 and I'd hope they would allow such a conversion at some point in the software life cycle.

Guess I'll just have to dump the Client license and buy PlaceShifter.

Thanks
-Adrian

Last edited by drin; 05-14-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drin
Guess I'll just have to dump the Client license and buy PlaceShifter.

Thanks
-Adrian
That's the route to take.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drin
I've mailed Opus4 privately but I'm sure he's swamped with life (like the rest of us)
Actually, I remember typing a reply confirming that you can't transfer the client license to a PS license, but it looks like the reply did not get sent somehow.

Quote:
I was asking if Frey will allow me to transfer my Client license to a PlaceShifter license since I own a Client license I'm not using. ... and thought I'd ask here in case someone else had already done this. From your reply, however, it looks like they won't allow this. That's a little disappointing.
My personal view: Why is it disappointing? The PS client is a completely different piece of software with entirely new development time spent creating it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of much software where a brand new application is created and then is given away because a different application was purchased in the past. Most developers have to pay for dinner at some point too.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Actually, I remember typing a reply confirming that you can't transfer the client license to a PS license, but it looks like the reply did not get sent somehow.

My personal view: Why is it disappointing? The PS client is a completely different piece of software with entirely new development time spent creating it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of much software where a brand new application is created and then is given away because a different application was purchased in the past. Most developers have to pay for dinner at some point too.

- Andy
I can, but the software in question was thousands of dollars, not $30. Why are people so adverse to spending the price of a cheap dinner or a few beers with friends on software?