SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

"Delete LiveTV Files when not using Intelligent Recording"

I had a question about the above setting. Does this apply to all partial recordings (not just LiveTV)?

I'm wondering because I had a scheduled recording going and needed to reboot the machine. After reboot, the recording continued, but later I checked and the recording was not there anymore. I checked in the sage recording directories and could not find the mpg either.

I had this setting enabled and was wondering if disabling it would keep my recording next time if it was interrupted in the middle.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
Administrator

It may have decided that the recording was corrupted & got rid of it. I'm not sure what criteria are used to decide whether a recording is corrupted. If it happens again, you could try marking such an interrupted show as a Manual Recording.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply, Andy.

I'll try that next time to see if that works. Unfortunately, after I switched machines, it's been less stable than the previous one I was using and the machine sometimes needs to reboot on its own (not often, but sometimes). I also don't want this to delete any fragemented recordings that my have been in progress.

Also, do you know if the setting applies to partial scheduled recordings in addition to LiveTV recordings? If it does, then I could just set that to disabled and it would probably work. If not, I'll need to try to figure out why sage is seeing the recording as corrupted.

Thanks again,
Evance
Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Partial recordings should remain if they were intended to be recorded that way (due to the favorite's negative padding, for example) or if it is marked as a Manual Recording. You can watch the last 5 minuts of something live & as long as you marked it as a Manual Recording with the Record command, it will be kept. That is why I was suggesting trying the same thing for a recording that gets interrupted.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

I've noticed when I reboot during a recording if the show is airing again soon Sage will delete the recording and reschedule later so that the entire show can be recorded. If not it keeps my partial recording.

I know it has done this a few times during Sci-Fi Friday when the shows re-air a couple of hours later. I don't know if it will look the full default 3 days ahead before making the decision.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

sorry.. I'm still a little confused.

Andy: You mentioned that "if it was meant to". So in my case, since it wasn't meant to be a partial recording (it was forced to be partial due to reboot), it *should* have been deleted?

blade: From what you've seen, fragmented scheduled recordings DO NOT get deleted unless there is another airing of the same show coming up soon (in which case it will get deleted so that the show can be recorded in entirely)?

Also, based on Andy's replies, it seems like the "Delete LiveTV files when not using IR" setting has no effect on interrupted scheduled recordings. Correct?

Thanks,
Evance
Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

What I'm saying is that I don't know the exact conditions for when a recording is considered corrupted or incomplete, so I can't give a definite answer. I also never looked into whether that setting affects this type of messed up recording, but it is based on the "seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off" property, so 'unwanted' might include incomplete/corrupted/etc. If you turn that setting off, the files that is does affect will still be deleted at some point, but it will happen when disk space is needed rather than 'soon'.

- Andy
Old 05-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK... That sounds good to me. I'll try to run some tests when I get a chance this weekend.

Thanks again
Old 05-12-2006, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

When I do an actual reboot during a recording (I forgot I was recording) the recording continues after the reboot and there is a section of the show missing during the time the server was down. If the show is scheduled to air again, Sage deletes it and reschedules for the next airing so that you'll have a complete recording.

I'm sure there is the possibility that a reboot or crash will cause the recording to become corrupted. In that case I don't know what Sage would do. It would make sense to delete the recording if it was corrupt and not playable in Sage.

If you want to try it out for yourself, find a time when you have no recordings scheduled and setup a favorite to test. Reboot and see what happens. I'm sure you'd need to have a favorite that airs again soon to test it because manual recordings won't be rescheduled.