SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlfieri
I just tried to install the SageMC Customization using the latest production SageTV build and wound up with a "black screen."

Not sure why this happened or how to work around it. Any feedback is appreciated.

I am running SageTV as a service under Windows XP Media Center.

Regards,
Rob
Hi Rob,

did you downlaod and install the full package from here ?

Dirk
Old 12-29-2006, 05:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
So.. while I would love to use SageMC for everything, it seems to bog down MVPs and PS users.
Really ? I run SageMC on my MVP and Placeshifter without any problems (I only disabled the animations). On the MVP it might be slightly slower than the default STV, but it's still snappy enough, my wife would have protested if it wasn't . This is with a not very powerful server, and I know a lot of other people who successfully use SageMC on remote clients...

Quote:
I guess we need to find a way to convert the existing MC info to the new format? Is all the data stored in XML format somewhere? I am assuming a script could be written to read in the old and spit out the new. If you could provide an example of both, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
No, it's not stored in XML, but directly in the Sage database (wiz.bin). The migration code will have to use the Sage API to modify the database entries. But thanks for the offer !

Dirk
Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiller
Dirk:

Yes, can't seem to get any menu items from within My Menu to work. If I use Custom1, Custom2 etc with the same Internal/External items everthing works.
I just tried upgrading java to the latest version but that didn't help.

Thanks;
Ah, now I get it, you are using the SageMC style main menu (for some reason I assumed you are using the dynamic main menu).

What is the value of "nielm/main_menu_xml_file" in you property file ? And can you post this menu xml file here so that I can have a look at it ? And there were really no errors in the debug log file ?

Dirk
Old 12-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
LOL, I'd say that if you are stuck in the main menu, you are far from that! But, anyway, welcome to SageMC.

So are you saying that even with the arrow keys and the Enter key, you cannot get anywhere past the main menu? If that is the case, it's sounding more and more like it's not installed correctly.

You did a base install (or I think it's called, full install) of 6.3.1, right?

Hmm...I just checked the installation instructions on the first post. I think they need to be updated, now that flachbar (Dirk) does his own "base" install package. In other words, if you want the latest and greatest, then you do not need to install mlbdude's base install package.

You can replace the first setup by installing the base package from flachbar:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=141

Since this is the latest version, you can also skip the development version (step 2), but for reference, usually there are some development versions before he updates the base install, so if you say, needed 6.3.2 (by the way, this doesn't exist as of this post), you would go here to get that:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=139

I'd try installing everything again, making sure SageTV is shut down, including the service, if you are using it.

Good luck!

Dirk's too fast! Oh, yeah, would help to know if you are using SageTV V5 or older, or V6. SageMC 6.13 was the last version that worked with V5 and older.

Thanks for the info, I'm running 6.0 but for some reason I can't import the .xml file, only the stv... Is this a problem?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman4nj
Thanks for the info, I'm running 6.0 but for some reason I can't import the .xml file, only the stv... Is this a problem?
2 things to fix. First is, you don't import the SageMC_169.xml file, you load it as a "sageTV application package". That may be some of the reason your menus are messed up. And the second thing is that it sounds like you may have loaded an older .stv file that doesn't know about .xml files, so it won't let you load the .xml. For that fix, shut down Sage and manually edit the sage.properties or sageclient.properties file and change the STV line to something like STV=C\:\\Progra~1\\SageTV\\SageTV\\STVs\\SageTV3\\SageTV3.xml.

That will get you back to normal. Then you can load the SageMC_169.xml file. While you are at it, delete any old .stv files like SageTV3.stv or SageMC_169.stv. Those files are obsolete, and will cause you problems in the long run.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Sage User

Very Helpful, thanks. Just out of curiousity, which version is correct

SageMC_169
SageMC_169-1
SageMC_169-2
SageMC_169_SageTV60beta

I know it's a mess but I'd like to get rid of everything I shouldn't be using
Old 12-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Ah, now I get it, you are using the SageMC style main menu (for some reason I assumed you are using the dynamic main menu).

What is the value of "nielm/main_menu_xml_file" in you property file ? And can you post this menu xml file here so that I can have a look at it ? And there were really no errors in the debug log file ?

Dirk
Dirk:

Sorry if I wasn't clear but yes I am running the default SAGEMC main menu and calling MY Menu from there.

The value of "nielm/main_menu_xml_file is:

nielm/main_menu_xml_file=C\:\\Program Files\\SageTV\\SageTV\\sagemc_menu.xml

I have attached the debug log.

In the log you can see that it says that it is executing the menu item but nothing get executed and there are no errors

Sat 12/30 12:34:43.008 Launching menu action on net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.SageMenu@1de0b5e to net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.InternalScreenMenuItem@e2ecc7
Sat 12/30 12:34:48.140 Launching menu action on net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.SageMenu@1de0b5e to net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.InternalScreenMenuItem@272961

I tried to attach the sagemc_menu.xml file but for some reason I couldn't upload it to the post. Invalid file.

Here is the menu file, hope that helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE sageMenu SYSTEM "sagemenu.dtd">
<sageMenu version="1.0">
<menu title="My Menu">
<internalScreenMenuItem
title="Movie Times"
screen="MovieTimes Main"/>

<internalScreenMenuItem
title="Weather 10 Day"
screen="Weather - 10 day Forecast"/>

</menu>
</sageMenu>

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (27.0 KB, 227 views)
Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Very Helpful, thanks. Just out of curiousity, which version is correct

SageMC_169
SageMC_169-1
SageMC_169-2
SageMC_169_SageTV60beta

I know it's a mess but I'd like to get rid of everything I shouldn't be using
If you are using the latest version of SageMC (6.3.1), then you can safely delete all but the first one.

However, that comes with a warning. Every time you import something, it saves the current STV to a "-" number, hince the -1, -2, etc. So, before deleting anything, you'll want to make sure you are using just SageMC_169.xml, then exit out of SageTV (and service, if using it), and then delete the others. If you delete the one that SageTV is currently using, it has to default back to the original SageTV STV, or it might lock up, I'm not sure which.

So, long story short, goto the original SageMC_169 STV first, exit out, then delete the other STV files.

When you import your imports, the -1, -2 versions will be created, a "-" number for each import. So if you have two imports, by the time you are done, you'll be using the SageMC_169-2.xml.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage User

Update wiki

Hi there. I just installed this great extension of Sagetv, and is delighted with it so far.

Unfortunately i think it is lacking a bit in the documentation area. Is there a newer resource of basic information other than the Wiki ? Or is it going to be updated ?

This 164 page thread, is a bit long too

I just think it too bad, that there probably is a lot of knowledge in this thread, but it's hard to acces if you don't specifically know what you want to do.

For instance, while browsing through this thread i found out that pressing "Play" will update the preview window in Guide Window. Something i really like, but wouldn't have found out if it was on page 132.

Just a thought. Regards
Old 12-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just overwrote my SageTV/SageTV directory with 6.3.1. Restarted and Restarted. I can't change themes now though. When I choose a new theme and Sage restarts, the MCE theme is active but the theme menu says I have a different theme selected.

A screenshot should explain things more clearly. Please see attached.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png ScreenShot001.png (108.6 KB, 289 views)
Old 12-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_per
Hi there. I just installed this great extension of Sagetv, and is delighted with it so far.

Unfortunately i think it is lacking a bit in the documentation area. Is there a newer resource of basic information other than the Wiki ? Or is it going to be updated ?

This 164 page thread, is a bit long too

I just think it too bad, that there probably is a lot of knowledge in this thread, but it's hard to acces if you don't specifically know what you want to do.

For instance, while browsing through this thread i found out that pressing "Play" will update the preview window in Guide Window. Something i really like, but wouldn't have found out if it was on page 132.

Just a thought. Regards
Yeah, the wiki is really getting old now, especially since version 6 came out. You think it's bad now, just think about us fogies that had to do all the changes by editing the properties file! The cool thing about the way most of the options are, is that you now have descriptions about what every change will do. The only thing lacking, are what some buttons do in some menus, etc.

I think it would be hard for any one person, well, except Dirk, but I'm sure he doesn't have time for it, to do, but that is what a wiki is for. You can update it yourself, on sections that you are familiar with.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Sage User

I have one more quick question.

I noticed the commercial skipping option, so my question is, if I enable it, does it actually delete the commercials or just allow me to view the recordings with the commercials cut out.

If it doesn't delete the commercials, is there a way to do this automatically, if so, what are my options
Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have one more quick question.

I noticed the commercial skipping option, so my question is, if I enable it, does it actually delete the commercials or just allow me to view the recordings with the commercials cut out.

If it doesn't delete the commercials, is there a way to do this automatically, if so, what are my options
It does not do anything to the original files. The TXT files, or EDL files, simply tell SageMC where to skip in the original video file.

ShowAnalyzer automatically can generate the file that VideoReDo needs to auto edit the commercials out, but if I was actually going to edit out the commercials, permanently, I would not rely on SA or Comskip to get them exact.

Another recent option, is the Video Editing Import for SageTV, by Bob. It looks very interesting, however, I think to write out the edited file, you still need VideoReDo, but it allows you to edit the file, and move commercial marks around, all with a remote.

Oh, and just enabling the options within SageMC does NOT get you instant commercial skipping. You have to set that up externally, with Comskip or by the tools listed in my signature.

Last edited by geogecko; 12-31-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Dirk:

Sorry if I wasn't clear but yes I am running the default SAGEMC main menu and calling MY Menu from there.

The value of "nielm/main_menu_xml_file is:

nielm/main_menu_xml_file=C\:\\Program Files\\SageTV\\SageTV\\sagemc_menu.xml

I have attached the debug log.

In the log you can see that it says that it is executing the menu item but nothing get executed and there are no errors

Sat 12/30 12:34:43.008 Launching menu action on net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.SageMenu@1de0b5e to net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.InternalScreenMenuItem@e2ecc7
Sat 12/30 12:34:48.140 Launching menu action on net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.SageMenu@1de0b5e to net.sf.sageplugins.sagemenu.InternalScreenMenuItem@272961

I tried to attach the sagemc_menu.xml file but for some reason I couldn't upload it to the post. Invalid file.

Here is the menu file, hope that helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE sageMenu SYSTEM "sagemenu.dtd">
<sageMenu version="1.0">
<menu title="My Menu">
<internalScreenMenuItem
title="Movie Times"
screen="MovieTimes Main"/>

<internalScreenMenuItem
title="Weather 10 Day"
screen="Weather - 10 day Forecast"/>

</menu>
</sageMenu>

Thanks
I tested it with the posted menu xml, and it works fine for me ...

Why don't we try to use the dynamic main menu instead (there is really no reason not to because it has all the functionality of the standard main menu, and much more) ...

- shut down the UI
- extract the original sagemc_menu.xml from the SageMC download back into the SageTV folder
- open SageClient.properties (or Sage.properties if you are running the server in non-service mode)
- set "mlbdude/dynamic_main_menu=true"
- set "nielm/main_menu_xml_file=your_sagetv_folder\\sagemc_menu.xml
- save the property file
- restart the UI

Now you should see the dynamic main menu, and the 'My Menu' should take you to a ready-to-use submenu with some preconfigured items. If this works, you can modify the menu items to your liking by opening the options menu (ESC on keyboard, or 'Options' command)

Dirk
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgollehon
I just overwrote my SageTV/SageTV directory with 6.3.1. Restarted and Restarted. I can't change themes now though. When I choose a new theme and Sage restarts, the MCE theme is active but the theme menu says I have a different theme selected.

A screenshot should explain things more clearly. Please see attached.

Thanks.
Can you tell me which "Images*" directories are in your SageMCE folder, and the values of all "ui/themes/*" lines in your property file ?

Dirk
Old 12-31-2006, 12:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Weird, the code is pretty much just copied from the default STV, and I haven't heard any reports about this before. I'll check if there were some recent changes in the default STV, but still, it works fine for me and others...

Dirk

This may be old news, but this is the last topic I've seen discussed on this issue.

I'm also having a problem with google video, I hear audio but see no video. Is there a google specific codec I may be mising?

Also, when I select dynamic menu option, I receive an error indicating
Failed to load X
Invalid top level node
FIXED, HAD TO RENAME THE NET DIRECTORY
Thanks again guys

Last edited by gman4nj; 12-31-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
This may be old news, but this is the last topic I've seen discussed on this issue.

I'm also having a problem with google video, I hear audio but see no video. Is there a google specific codec I may be mising?
You might try going to the Advanced Menu and Enable or Disable Overlay Color Keying.

I enabled it in my setup and then I could see the Google videos

-JD
Old 12-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I tested it with the posted menu xml, and it works fine for me ...

Why don't we try to use the dynamic main menu instead (there is really no reason not to because it has all the functionality of the standard main menu, and much more) ...

- shut down the UI
- extract the original sagemc_menu.xml from the SageMC download back into the SageTV folder
- open SageClient.properties (or Sage.properties if you are running the server in non-service mode)
- set "mlbdude/dynamic_main_menu=true"
- set "nielm/main_menu_xml_file=your_sagetv_folder\\sagemc_menu.xml
- save the property file
- restart the UI

Now you should see the dynamic main menu, and the 'My Menu' should take you to a ready-to-use submenu with some preconfigured items. If this works, you can modify the menu items to your liking by opening the options menu (ESC on keyboard, or 'Options' command)

Dirk
Dirk:

Seems to be a dynamic Menu issue, just not sure where to look.

If I use the Dynamic Main Menu I get the following error on loading the Menu.

Failed TO load XM...
menu file=c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\sagemc_menu.xml
Errors:
Invalid top level node version: 1.4 when parsing c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\sagemc_menu.xml

If I edit the version:
<sageMenu version="1.4">
and change it to:
<sageMenu version="1.0">
The menu will load but then I have the same probelm as before that it will not execute any of the menu items on the main menu.

I tried going back to the default Sage STV, reloading the 6_3_1_full release and re-importing SageMC, same results after the reload.

Thanks;
Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Sage Icon

Has anyone else noticed, that after leaving Sage running for a while, that eventually, the RSS ticker stops displaying feeds?

I have it set to NOT only display new feeds, so I would expect that it would keep showing all feeds, continuously. Is that not how it was meant to work? If I restart SageTV, it comes back, for a while.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Dirk:

Seems to be a dynamic Menu issue, just not sure where to look.

If I use the Dynamic Main Menu I get the following error on loading the Menu.

Failed TO load XM...
menu file=c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\sagemc_menu.xml
Errors:
Invalid top level node version: 1.4 when parsing c:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\sagemc_menu.xml

If I edit the version:
<sageMenu version="1.4">
and change it to:
<sageMenu version="1.0">
The menu will load but then I have the same probelm as before that it will not execute any of the menu items on the main menu.

I tried going back to the default Sage STV, reloading the 6_3_1_full release and re-importing SageMC, same results after the reload.

Thanks;
Looks like some of your files are not the latest version. Check:

- nielm_sagemenureader.jar (in JARs) 10/24/2006 32,094 bytes
- SageMenu.dtd 10/23/2006 2,229 bytes

Both are in the latest SageMC download packages

Dirk
Closed Thread