SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
Ok, I have an odd situation here and I'm not sure where to post about it. Since it involves the padding feature in sageMC and I'm using Dirk's version 6.8a, I figure here is as good as anywhere.

So here's the situation. I want to record a show for my 2.5 year old on the disney channel. The problem is that the guide listing is 3hrs off from the actual airing. I think they messed up the California vs. Hawaii feed. Anyway, to work around this and still have the correct show information, I set up a favorite recording with a 179 minute delay on the start time and a 181 minute delay on the end time. The settings took and it appeared in the schedule properly. Unfortunately, when it came time actually record (3 hrs after the guide listing) the entry just disappeared and the recording did not start. I know this is a strange use for the padding feature, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Does anyone have any thoughts? I suppose if I can't get this to work, then I can always schedule a manual recording by time. It would just be nice to have the show info for the recording. Thanks for taking the time to read this ramble.

Aloha,
Mike
I'm in Santa Monica on Adelphia and have the same 3 hours discrepancy with Disney channel program listings ...
Old 07-31-2006, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinmaui
So here's the situation. I want to record a show for my 2.5 year old on the disney channel. The problem is that the guide listing is 3hrs off from the actual airing. I think they messed up the California vs. Hawaii feed. Anyway, to work around this and still have the correct show information, I set up a favorite recording with a 179 minute delay on the start time and a 181 minute delay on the end time. The settings took and it appeared in the schedule properly. Unfortunately, when it came time actually record (3 hrs after the guide listing) the entry just disappeared and the recording did not start. I know this is a strange use for the padding feature, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Does anyone have any thoughts? I suppose if I can't get this to work, then I can always schedule a manual recording by time. It would just be nice to have the show info for the recording.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
This might be just a SageTV core issue. You could try with the default STV and see if it has the same problem. I suspect SageTV needs to have the start time within the actual airing time of the show but this is just a guess.

BobP.
So it does look like this is a core issue. I have also uncovered another bit of strange behavior in sageMC, but I don't know if it is worth doing anything about. I had never checked before, but I guess that sageMC does not support manual timed recordings. So, I changed over to the default STV and created a timed recording. Then I switched back to sageMC and all of the upcoming recordings disappeared! I switched back to the default STV and all of the upcoming recordings showed up again. I removed the timed recording and switched back to sageMC and everything showed up fine again. I can accept that sageMC is completely incompatable with timed recordings, but I thought it was worth mentioning. The downside is that there seems to be no way to record this show and still use sageMC.

Also, I havent tried this, but I suspect this timed recording issue could cause a problem if a client or media extender is using the default STV and is used to schedule a timed recording and the server (or even another client) is running sageMC. Just a heads up for a possible failure mode.

I guess I'll try posting in the SageTV Software forum regarding the padding issue. Thanks for the help.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

INstall issues

Hey guys -

I just tried installaing this and am having problems. I had SageMC running on SageClient v4 (with server v4), and recently upgraded client and server to v5. Been using the default STV since, but the old SageMV_5_10 files were still sitting in the install directory. Anyway, I unpacked the distribution zip into the sagetv directory and selected the SageMC_169.xml STV. What I get is a black screen, with some floating garbage on top and the main menu items as white text. Then any time I navigate around, new stuff shows up on top of the old without clearing the old stuff. Completely unusable. I had to modify the .stv in sageClient.properties back to the default STV just to be able to use client.

I'm fairly sure this is user error, but don't know what I did wrong.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

-Justin
Old 07-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtr
Hey guys -

I just tried installaing this and am having problems. I had SageMC running on SageClient v4 (with server v4), and recently upgraded client and server to v5. Been using the default STV since, but the old SageMV_5_10 files were still sitting in the install directory. Anyway, I unpacked the distribution zip into the sagetv directory and selected the SageMC_169.xml STV. What I get is a black screen, with some floating garbage on top and the main menu items as white text. Then any time I navigate around, new stuff shows up on top of the old without clearing the old stuff. Completely unusable. I had to modify the .stv in sageClient.properties back to the default STV just to be able to use client.

I'm fairly sure this is user error, but don't know what I did wrong.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

-Justin
Don't worry too much, that has happened to several people.

One thing I would try, is to make sure you unzipped the distribution in the correct location ../SageTV/SageTV, and make sure the check box to "Use Folder Names" is checked.

Once that is done, you should be able to load the STV (really an XML) using the interface.

If that doesn't work, let us know.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
So it does look like this is a core issue. I have also uncovered another bit of strange behavior in sageMC, but I don't know if it is worth doing anything about. I had never checked before, but I guess that sageMC does not support manual timed recordings. So, I changed over to the default STV and created a timed recording. Then I switched back to sageMC and all of the upcoming recordings disappeared! I switched back to the default STV and all of the upcoming recordings showed up again. I removed the timed recording and switched back to sageMC and everything showed up fine again. I can accept that sageMC is completely incompatable with timed recordings, but I thought it was worth mentioning. The downside is that there seems to be no way to record this show and still use sageMC.

Also, I havent tried this, but I suspect this timed recording issue could cause a problem if a client or media extender is using the default STV and is used to schedule a timed recording and the server (or even another client) is running sageMC. Just a heads up for a possible failure mode.

I guess I'll try posting in the SageTV Software forum regarding the padding issue. Thanks for the help.

Aloha,
Mike
Hey, Mike.

Are you using the Sage Web Server Plug-in? This will allow you to do timed recordings, however, I have no idea what it does with what you are talking about, where the upcoming recordings vanish! That's a serious problem.

I'd like to see Timed Recordings added into SageMC, just for the reason you describe, and, for the reason that there was a half hour show on a Verizon channel that wasn't listed as a seperate show, but as a segment of another show. Using the timed recording, I could have recorded the show easier, since I knew when it came on.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Don't worry too much, that has happened to several people.

One thing I would try, is to make sure you unzipped the distribution in the correct location ../SageTV/SageTV, and make sure the check box to "Use Folder Names" is checked.

Once that is done, you should be able to load the STV (really an XML) using the interface.

If that doesn't work, let us know.
Thanks man. I reinstalled sagemg 5_10, then reinstalled sagemc latest. Now it works perfectly. Must've been an ebkac.

On another note, I"m loving 5.0 -- the divx transcoding to the MVP works flawlessly which I'm really psyched about. Just bummed I had to buy another license; now I have a spare client license. Oh well, I certainly don't mind shelling out $$ for a well done product.

-Justin
Old 07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Then I switched back to sageMC and all of the upcoming recordings disappeared! I switched back to the default STV and all of the upcoming recordings showed up again. I removed the timed recording and switched back to sageMC and everything showed up fine again.
Hi Mike,

that sounded like a pretty severe problem so I tried it myself right away, but I can't see this behavior here on my machine (see attached pic). Which parameters did you use when you created the recording ?

Dirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timed_rec.jpg (70.6 KB, 217 views)
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Sage Expert

updated file = old date

Has anyone noticed that in the downloads section, the date stays the same regardless of changes to text or to the download itself? This makes finding the new files confusing if you are ever 'out of the loop' for an extended time. This is evidenced by the fact that THIS is still the most popular version of SageMC.

Last edited by snoopy; 07-31-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Sage Expert

an update on SageMC

Is it still necessary to go back to the 'original SageMC STV' when reloading SageMC and it's add-ons from scratch? If so, could we combine both processes and files in one place? I would prefer to have one place to go and easily see all the newness that SageMC and it's add-ons have to offer.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Hi Mike,

that sounded like a pretty severe problem so I tried it myself right away, but I can't see this behavior here on my machine (see attached pic). Which parameters did you use when you created the recording ?

Dirk
Hmm...I also do not seem to have the same problem. Will check when I get home to make sure that the timed recording and other recordings show up while in SageMC...

Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, I just tried to schedule a timed recording again and this time it worked. So I did a little more fiddling and then I was able to reproduce the behavior.

It happens when the timed recording is the next scheduled recording in the queue. If there are any recordings ahead of it, everything will look fine. So Dirk, I think when your episodes of Treasure Hunters and Hell's Kitchen are completed then your upcoming recordings will disappear.

I tried to simulate that by setting up a timed recording as the second in the queue and then switched back to sageMC. Then I canceled the first recording in the queue and all of the scheduled recordings did disappear. I think this is a nasty little bug. Please try to verify my findings and let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Aloha,
Mike

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 07-31-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Sage Expert

love it!

Also see above 2 posts for suggestions. I really like the option of "No Filter includes Archived = false". When I make this change, it sorts the list nicely where I can look in Archives when/if I feel like doing so but keeps them hidden for day-to-day stuff. Since we don't have individualized user capabilities in SageTV, this "psuedo folder" called archived gets well used. It still says Recorded TV (All) though which is misleading now. Perhaps it could say "Recorded TV (Without Archives)" when this option is selected.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Well, I just tried to schedule a timed recording again and this time it worked. So I did a little more fiddling and then I was able to reproduce the behavior.

It happens when the timed recording is the next scheduled recording in the queue. If there are any recordings ahead of it, everything will look fine. So Dirk, I think when your episodes of Treasure Hunters and Hell's Kitchen are completed then your upcoming recordings will disappear.

I tried to simulate that by setting up a timed recording as the second in the queue and then switched back to sageMC. Then I canceled the first recording in the queue and all of the scheduled recordings did disappear. I think this is a nasty little bug. Please try to verify my findings and let me know how it goes. Thanks!

Aloha,
Mike

Aloha,
Mike
Verified.

Interesting thing is, it shows up using the Web Server, as still being there, but inside of SageMC, it's gone. Would be interesting to see if something still got recorded anyway...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks geogecko. I'm glad this isn't just another manifestation of my insanity. I suspect this is probably just a display issue, but I'm not about to risk testing that hypothesis on my main rig. My wife would be none too happy if I missed any recordings.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks geogecko. I'm glad this isn't just another manifestation of my insanity. I suspect this is probably just a display issue, but I'm not about to risk testing that hypothesis on my main rig. My wife would be none too happy if I missed any recordings.

Aloha,
Mike
Hi Mike,

verified it too. Thanks a lot for the diagnosis, it will help me to find the cause. I think it is only a display issue, and I will take the plunge and test it with the next upcoming recording ...

Edit: ok due to having only 2 tuners and two upcoming shows scheduled I can't test it right now, but I will at some other time...

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 07-31-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
I'll test it right now...and give my feedback. I'll take one for the team!
Ok, I made a scheduled recording for 10:00, which made it the 1st recording. Switched back to SageMC and all recordings were gone. Trying to toggle the filter just ended up giving me a very strange list of shows I never record. I left it to see what it is going to do.

Browsing using the Xbox SageTV script shows: The timed recording recorded just fine, the rest of my scheduled shows are still there.

Last edited by kricker; 07-31-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for jumping in on this guys. Hmmm...It's interesting how geogecko, flachbar, kricker and I always seem to converge in these forums. We better watch it or people will start asking questions.

OT: Kricker, I never got around to asking why you chose Mighty Mouse as your avatar. I like it! (Especially if it is a subtle play on the cat avatar theme around here)

Aloha,
Mike
Old 07-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
OT: Kricker, I never got around to asking why you chose Mighty Mouse as your avatar. I like it! (Especially if it is a subtle play on the cat avatar theme around here)
Kinda, but not totally. I used him in the past as an icon, back in the days when my buddies thought it was cool to use super hero logos as icons. You know, the usual...Batman...Superman...etc. Me, needing to make fun of them and having fond memories of watching Mighty Mouse as a kid, thought he'd be funny, in a cool retro kinda way. When I saw everyone using cats here, I could'nt pass up the opportunity to bring him back. Now I use him for IM icons, logon icons...you name it...Mighty Mouse can handle it. "Heeeerreee I Come to save the Daaaaaayyyyyyy"
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker
I'll test it right now...and give my feedback. I'll take one for the team!
Ok, I made a scheduled recording for 10:00, which made it the 1st recording. Switched back to SageMC and all recordings were gone. Trying to toggle the filter just ended up giving me a very strange list of shows I never record. I left it to see what it is going to do.

Browsing using the Xbox SageTV script shows: The timed recording recorded just fine, the rest of my scheduled shows are still there.
Yep, and as soon as the timed recording starts, the schedule re-appears ...

I debugged into it, and at first glance this seemed to be a bug in the Sage core: the scheduled recording list is first filled up correctly, but a following call to sort the list according to AiringStartTime simply empties the list ... ! I checked the default STV, and sure enough, there is no sorting call. But later I found some similar sorting in the malore schedules (which seems to work), so I am back to square one. I'll look further into it when I get the time ...

Dirk
Old 08-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

RSS

Is there an RSS reader for SAGEMC? Blockbusters new interface now has RSS. Can I use the Default Sage RSS plugin?
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Closed Thread