SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

RSS NewsFeed Question

I'm sorry for asking if it's been asked before or if there are instuctions somewhere that I can't find about this, but how & where do I add the RSS NewsFeeds to in Sage with SageMC?

Is this something that will launch a browser window or will I be able to view newsfeeds right inside Sage.

Thank in Advance!!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Well, I can't reproduce any of the issues you reported so far, and I verified that on my system all menu widths are exactly the same ... Can you please post your menu width settings so that I can try these out here ?
Wow... somewhere, somehow (don't even say that you posted the 'answer' several posts ago! ), but my width settings were changed... Moving them back to the defaults made everything ok...

Quote:
I'm sure there was a reason that mlbdude didnt implement this just like that, I guess this requires interfacing with nielms IMDB java code ... I'll take a look at it some time, but no promises ...
Very nice...

Quote:
You mean so that you can configure those options also in the SageMC options menu as an alternative to bringing up the Options menu ?
Not quite... What I was referring to was setting up 'default' filters... There is no way to set up 'unwatched' as the default filter under Movies for example.

-Jason
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Hi Dirk,

Things are working well and we're making good use of the new features. The intelligent suggestions feature is much more useful now. Thanks.

I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple more suggestions.

1. When video info is added using the IMDB search, it is a little cumbersome moving around through the screens. When viewing the IMDB info, it required a couple of 'back' commands to get back to the detailed info screen. This is OK except that when only a single entry is found in the IMDB search, the 'back on left' functionality seems to not work on the list screen. This makes navigation a bit tedious when trying to add video info. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. Ideally, it would be nice if it went back to the detailed info screen after pressing 'save' in the IMDB info screen.

2. Would it be possible to add a 'sort by star rating' to the movies list? (decending sort)

3. Can you make it so sageMC can make my coffe in the morning? I know there probably isn't a caffeine API for studio, but you should be able to find a work around in java, right?

Thanks Dirk!

Aloha,
Mike
Old 08-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

Mike, every time I see your new avitar, I think of Sloan in Alias! Just thought I'd share.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
Hi Dirk,

1. When video info is added using the IMDB search, it is a little cumbersome moving around through the screens. When viewing the IMDB info, it required a couple of 'back' commands to get back to the detailed info screen. This is OK except that when only a single entry is found in the IMDB search, the 'back on left' functionality seems to not work on the list screen. This makes navigation a bit tedious when trying to add video info. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. Ideally, it would be nice if it went back to the detailed info screen after pressing 'save' in the IMDB info screen.
Yep, this is sometimes bugging me too .. I'll have a look at it

Quote:
2. Would it be possible to add a 'sort by star rating' to the movies list? (decending sort)
This one will require some more work, since there is no Sage API which returns the star rating (so that it can be used in the sort API), the rating is embedded (next to other things) in the 'MiscInfo' for a movie. I will have to sort it manually. Not impossible, but make take a while...

Quote:
3. Can you make it so sageMC can make my coffe in the morning? I know there probably isn't a caffeine API for studio, but you should be able to find a work around in java, right?
Actuall, this feature has to wait until I finished my current project - my wife asked me to make SageMC do the dishes, and this turns out to be quite a challenging task ...

Dirk
Old 08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Wow... somewhere, somehow (don't even say that you posted the 'answer' several posts ago! ), but my width settings were changed... Moving them back to the defaults made everything ok...
Good to hear ...

Quote:
Not quite... What I was referring to was setting up 'default' filters... There is no way to set up 'unwatched' as the default filter under Movies for example.
Ah ok, this makes sense. Yep, this can be added. All the 'Sort' options are already 'sticky and will be remembered.

Dirk
Old 08-19-2006, 03:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker
Yes, I was trying to bring them into Meedio. I'll figure out a way to rename the tags in Meedio then.
Ahh, didn't know that Meedio uses .my files too (I use Meedio only for my music). Does it read anything else than title, overview, actors, and released ?

Anyway, SageMC does already read title, overview etc, and I can easily add that it will also fill out those fields in addition to the TV* fields when writing the file ...

Dirk
Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Dirk-

The forum will only let me upload five pics per post... but here is another issue...

When viewing the 'Cast' menu from the IMDB, the info is missing... pic 7
This would be an issue with nielm's IMDB code, they might have changed the format on the web site again ...

Dirk
Old 08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Extremely sluggish guide

Just tried out SageMC and generally like the interface but with one problem. Going to and navigating the program guide is suggish and extremely so if there is any video playing. Same problems on two different machines. Is there a setting to fix this. It is so bad as to not allow me to use an otherwise great interface.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis
Just tried out SageMC and generally like the interface but with one problem. Going to and navigating the program guide is suggish and extremely so if there is any video playing. Same problems on two different machines. Is there a setting to fix this. It is so bad as to not allow me to use an otherwise great interface.
You may need to turn off animations, if your machine is a little older. This can be done in the Settings...Detailed Setup...Advanced...SageMC Options (I think that's what it's called). There should be two settings in there.

Also, what version of Java are you using? You can find it on the "Settings" information page.

Some have found that Java 1.6 beta 2 have increased Sage response time. But, I would recommend downloading your current Java version, so that if you experience problems, you can go back. I think the latest version is just called Java 6.

Latest official version, is Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.5.0_8, found here (make sure you get the right version):

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

The latest beta, JRE 1.6.0_2, is here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/ea.jsp

These links are automatically updated, so if a newer version comes out, the versions I called out here will not be valid.

Last edited by geogecko; 08-19-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actually,

Just a restart of the computer fixed the problem. Go figure.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Mike, every time I see your new avitar, I think of Sloan in Alias! Just thought I'd share.
I guess I'll have to add a Favorite for Alias now so I know what you are talking about.

In case you were wondering, my avatar is a picture of Erwin Schrodinger, the pioneer of quantum physics. He is maybe best known for the Schrodinger's Cat experiment. I thought it was a good fit since I am a condensed matter physicist and I also wanted to make a (very) subtle play on all the cat avatars around here. Well....it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Dirk,

Thanks for looking into my requests. I can wait on the coffee mod, but I can't wait for the dishwasher mod now that I've heard about it. That would send the WAF through the roof!

Aloha,
Mike
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

Careful, if you watch too many episodes, you'll get hooked. But, at least the series is over, so you can just watch all reruns...

I'll make it easier for you.

Hmm...might have gone into Physics, had I known I could have a job in Maui.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis
Actually,

Just a restart of the computer fixed the problem. Go figure.
I've always had to do a restart, of at least Sage, when doing an update of SageMC. Otherwise, I'd get the slowness.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko
Hmm...might have gone into Physics, had I known I could have a job in Maui.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
This would be an issue with nielm's IMDB code, they might have changed the format on the web site again ...

Dirk
It appears it is... MP just changed their code to reflect the changes... maybe we can get Nielm to do the same...

-Jason
Old 08-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
Quote:
Ahh, didn't know that Meedio uses .my files too (I use Meedio only for my music). Does it read anything else than title, overview, actors, and released ?

Anyway, SageMC does already read title, overview etc, and I can easily add that it will also fill out those fields in addition to the TV* fields when writing the file ...

Dirk
I am using the GotTV importer to import the .my files into a Meedio library. It's is just that all the tags are different for the screens I am thinking of using in Meedio. Doc Zoidberg over there has a neat little importer that will rename all the tags for me, so you don't have to change anything it looks like.

On a different .my file note. The imported videos screen reads the .my file, but it also lists the actual file, so the same show is in the list twice. Once as named in the .my file, and another time as the actual filename. If it reads the .my file can it just skip reading the actual file? And moreover the whole imported videos screen just seems to pale in comparison with how the recorded TV screen works.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried making a seperate post, but I don't know if no one knows or if there isn't a way but I got no responses. I figured I'd try within this thread as well in case people are only reading here.

Is there a way to export the default SageMC menu out to one of Neilm's customizable menus? I may be missing something that will let me do it, or if one exists somewhere already, but I'd like to be able to rearrange a few things and have my external programs be listed differently then they are currently (in the external programs 'selection).
Old 08-21-2006, 06:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker

On a different .my file note. The imported videos screen reads the .my file, but it also lists the actual file, so the same show is in the list twice. Once as named in the .my file, and another time as the actual filename. If it reads the .my file can it just skip reading the actual file?
Hmm, not sure I understand ... You see the same show in the list twice ? .my files only change the info in the "Program Info' screen, but do not affect any recording lists at all. The list of shows is always read from the Sage database, only the detailed info is either displayed a) from the .my file if present, or b) from the Sage db if .my file is not present ...

Dirk
Old 08-21-2006, 06:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro
I tried making a seperate post, but I don't know if no one knows or if there isn't a way but I got no responses. I figured I'd try within this thread as well in case people are only reading here.

Is there a way to export the default SageMC menu out to one of Neilm's customizable menus? I may be missing something that will let me do it, or if one exists somewhere already, but I'd like to be able to rearrange a few things and have my external programs be listed differently then they are currently (in the external programs 'selection).
I attached a menu.xml with the most common main menu items and one example submenu, you can add more either by bringing up the options menu, or by editing the file itself (it's not that complicated, and you can also change the titles and order...). Just note that by using nielms dynamic menus as a main menu replacement you will lose the graphics on the main menu...

I just noticed that the menu titles dont display correctly, I'll fix this in the next version.

Dirk
Attached Files
File Type: zip menu.zip (413 Bytes, 238 views)
Closed Thread