SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

getting sage to play a playlist

ok, ive done some searching on the forums and some testing on my own, and it seems like im trying to get sage to do something that it cant do, or ive not figured out how to get it to do it anyway.

basically, i have lots of movies that have multi-parts to them. what i want to do is create a playlist, outside of sage, save it as one of the many available playlist formats, then have sage play that playlist instead of having to create my own playlist inside of sage, every single time i want to watch that movie.

im doing this for a couple of reasons, first, for uniformity, when i go to my imported videos, i like things to look uniform. second, if im watching a movie.. im going to watch the whole movie, not half of it, or a third of it. i have to add the parts of the movie to the playlist every single time i watch it, i'd rather do it once and forget it.

ive tried creating an asx, wpl, m3u and pls, all with the same error

"there was a playback error in playback. details: sage.playbackexception: ERROR(-4,0x0): there was a problem rendering the video portion of the content for playback."

now, i understand the error, its telling me that my 'video file' (the playlist) isnt actually a video file, but what im not understanding is, why the sage video player doesnt parse the playlist and actually open up the video files that are specified. can the sage video player just not handle external playlists? if if thats the case, since the sage video player can play the playlists that are created within sage, is there anyway i can 'tap into' this internal playlist creation to save those playlists outside of sage (to the harddrive).

ive figured out, that if i add the playlist file format to the "seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=" variable in the properties file, then sage will import these files into the video library, and if i set the hidden attribute to the actual files that i want to play (that way sage will skip over them when importing into the library) i can essentially trick sage into thinking that every single movie i have to be imported, is a single file and that will allow me to make everything MUCH cleaner looking inside the ui.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to revo2001
Some feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated from me also.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

so evidently, sage supports playlists but only IMPORTING playlists, it cant PLAY them.

am i correct in my assumption that when sage finds a playlist, it parses the playlist, and then adds the actual files the playlist points to, to the library? good idea for music, however, not for videos

anyway, is there ANYONE out there that has any ideas how i can get sage to play a playlist, or is there some kind of file format that will "wrap" multiple files in some kind of "container" that wont make sage puke when trying to play them?

im at a loss here, i cant belive sage cant play playlists...
Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

I think that importing playlists is a relatively newer feature, so if you are having problems with it, I would submit a bug report. I don't know if it was specifically set up to import music playlists or not, so your feedback on it could help the developers... or maybe they could tell you what to do to solve it if there isn't a problem.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

i see, ok i'll get some stuff together and fill out a ticket for support

thanks andy

--edit, ok i sent in a ticket, basically asking the intended functionality of sage in reguards to its usage of externaly created playlists. if its intention was only for import purposes or if it was also intended for sage to play these playlists also. it seems that sage 'understands' playlists, it can recognize them, read them, parse them, and execute the files the playlist points to. the fact that it just cant execute the playlist itself, seems like an issue. the basics are there, its like someone just stopped short of the finish line. or the fact that it cant play the playlist is indeed a bug, in which case hopefully its fixed in a future version

Last edited by xlr8shun; 05-19-2006 at 01:50 PM.