SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Horrible Misic Interface

I can't believe how horrible the music interface is.

All I want to do is play an album and it takes a gazillion (I'm rounding up) steps. I've done some searching in these forums now, hoping that someone has done something to make this easier but apparently not.

I've been using GBPVR for a few years and am getting tired of the instability. I'm willing to spend almost $200 (SageTV, 2 Extenders and PC Client), but the music interface is so horrible, my wife would probably divorce me if I made her use this (okay, maybe not divorce)
Old 05-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames
Couldn't have said it any better. It's a step down from mpg123. My memory of the picture interface is a little fuzzy, but I think it was also terrible. It's easy to see where the focus of the development team was -- not music and photos. Sage is definately not a media center, its a TV application.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage User

...And thats where SageMC16x9 comes in... try it i dont believe you will be dissapointed - there you can browse by folderview - in which means you can organize your albums by directory stucture, i would reccomend installing the winamp plugin too.. so you get the visualizations you prefer + support for most types of digital music - but thatmay not be a must.

SageMC16x9 - http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10715

Winamp plugin - http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14403

And i do agree music and video sucks - but i guess that depends on what you are used to, i always compare to XBMC since i've been using that from the beginning.

As a tv app it actually rocks (sagetv of course) - in my perfect world i would have xbmc WITH pvr functionality though
Old 05-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjames

All I want to do is play an album and it takes a gazillion (I'm rounding up) steps. I've done some searching in these forums now, hoping that someone has done something to make this easier but apparently not.

I've been using GBPVR for a few years and am getting tired of the instability. I'm willing to spend almost $200 (SageTV, 2 Extenders and PC Client), but the music interface is so horrible, my wife would probably divorce me if I made her use this (okay, maybe not divorce)
I completly agree... I'm using SageTV only for TV lately, I'm using JRMediaCenter for all the music interface. It is light years better (the GUI is not perfect but all the media functions are the bests). I have a Girder setup to switch from sagetv to JRMC.

Also you may want to take a look at media portal. Their gui is very slick.

Erik.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by olauritz
...And thats where SageMC16x9 comes in... try it i dont believe you will be dissapointed - there you can browse by folderview - in which means you can organize your albums by directory stucture, i would reccomend installing the winamp plugin too.. so you get the visualizations you prefer + support for most types of digital music - but thatmay not be a must.

SageMC16x9 - http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10715

Winamp plugin - http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14403
Yes there are plugins but sagetv should come with something decent by default.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadErik
Yes there are plugins but sagetv should come with something decent by default.
I totally agree. SageTV is an amazing PVR, and I'm loving the Placeshifting capability. Now it's time to make the rest of the media center components at least... compitent.

I think that the next release should focus on Media Center (music, non-PVRed Video, Media Services) improvements

HTPC/Server: A8 3850; Win 7 Home x86 + Java 1.6.0_26; Sage 7.1.9; Driving Epson 8500 pj @ 1080p | Office: Core2Duo E8500 w/ EFI-X running OS X 10.5 & Win 7 Pro x64 (dual boot) + Java 1.6.0_20; Sage 7.0.23; Driving 30" Samsung 1900x1200 monitor
Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yup, as far as I see it Sage has done the hard part by making the tv application so good. I'm sure they won't struggle when they really turn their attention to the media center side of things.