SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Sage Icon

Why Does Sage Delete Favorites When I ...

A few weeks back I posted that I did not understand why a favorite was not recorded. As it turns out now as I recall, I was learning Sage and playing around and while Sage was recording a favorite I marked the file as Watched while it was recording. Now, I tried it again as an experiment and noticed that if I mark a Favorite as Watched while Sage is recording it (during the recording) - Sage Deletes it and does not continue recording it. Why does it do this? What is the reason for this behavior? It makes absolutely no sense to me (I reverted to 5.0.1.89 so I don't know but am assuming this is happening in the latest version also). On the one hand, it's nice to know that there is a way to delete a Favorite while it is recording but this should not be the way.

I tested it and it only seems to happen with Favorites and not manual recordings.

Finally - I'm still remembering reading somewhere that Sage will not record a Favorite that has already been recorded (even if it was deleted). Is this true? I'm wondering if this is true and if so, is there a way to tell Sage to just record all favorites regardless of whether they were deleted or not (perhaps by a key word recording or any other way)?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 09:28 PM
SageTVaholic

If a recording is marked as watched, Sage will not record it again. Why should it? You already recorded it and watched it. So as far as Sage is concerned it won't record it again. Now if something is being recorded and then you mark it as watched Sage will stop recording it. Now it is a partial recording and Sage will clean up by deleting it. I think when you delete a recording it will mark it as watched. (EDIT: This does NOT happen-see below.) All of this is explained in the manual.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 05-14-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961
Finally - I'm still remembering reading somewhere that Sage will not record a Favorite that has already been recorded (even if it was deleted). Is this true?
It all depends on whether the recording still exists or whether the deleted show has been marked as Watched... there's a FAQ for If I delete a show, will it be recorded again? Deleting a show doesn't automatically mark it as watched, unless you've actually watched the show or marked it as watched.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
If a recording is marked as watched, Sage will not record it again. Why should it?
I realize I can always circumvent the problem by a manual recording but here are my reasons that I can think of:

Many reasons and reason #3 at the end of my post perhaps being the most important of all. (Reason 1 - this happend to me) Let's say there's a show that is aired several times a day like the Twilight Zone or All in the Family, etc. and I don't have time to watch them because they are aired too often and are now starting to take up a lot of disk space. Now a few weeks later I have 40 episodes of them and I know will not get around to watching them for a long time so I just decide to go into Windows Explorer and delete all of them that are say more than a week old (even though I may not have watched them or not watched all of them) to free up space for things I consider a little higher on the priority list for recording. However, perhaps in 6 months or a year or whenever I may not have 2 500 gig drives on my server but maybe 2 drives in the terabytes instead and space is even less of an issue (or maybe I just don't want the clutter and there's just no time in my life right now to watch them).

(Reason 2) Let's say I watch a show (I'm not sure if it is then automatically marked as watched or not) and later realize I wished I had saved it for someone else to watch. Now I have to monitor all the shows until it comes on again.

Again - I realize it's probably not the most important thing in the world but for me - it's easier to delete something than to sit there and monitor it until it comes on again realizing I wished I had saved it in my permanent mp4 collection.
Gerry[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
All of this is explained in the manual.Gerry
Haa, I'm guilty like 90% of the other (sage and any software users). I have read parts but never from start to finish (I don't even have time to watch my shows). What can I say but I still have not had the time to read it. Of all my customers, I think maybe 2 or 3 have read my software manual.

Overall - I love Sage. (reason #3) I just think this would be a good feature to have. Also, this idea of deleting a favorite is not intuitive at all. I don't expect my family to read 300 pages let alone 1 and if they for any reason mark a show as watched (because THEY watched it) but they want someone else in the family to watch it...well...to their surprise, it's gone.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Sage Icon

Almost forgot - I'm still wondering - if anyone knows why one of my wife's favorites recorded the second time it aired after midnight rather than the first time it aired at its normal hour? It lowered the WAF to know that she was not able to watch it that evening but had to wait until the next day.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It all depends on whether the recording still exists or whether the deleted show has been marked as Watched... there's a FAQ for If I delete a show, will it be recorded again? Deleting a show doesn't automatically mark it as watched, unless you've actually watched the show or marked it as watched.

- Andy

I think that will work and I read the FAQ. So, if I understand it correctly and if I go into Windows Explorer and delete say 50 Twilight Zones (just don't have time in my life right now so I'll remove the Favorite as well) and then later in my life decide to start it up as a Favorite again then it will record those episodes even with a unique ID as long as I have not marked it as Watched and it is not still in my Sage Recordings?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Almost forgot - I'm still wondering - if anyone knows why one of my wife's favorites recorded the second time it aired after midnight rather than the first time it aired at its normal hour? It lowered the WAF to know that she was not able to watch it that evening but had to wait until the next day.

Thanks,
Mike
because you had a conflict in recordings, the show that was recorded in its place didnt come on for the next 14 days, so rather then only record one show, sage decided it would be best if you got both of your recordings. also sage might have notified you of this in the conflicts menu, im not sure if this falls under the category of a conflict or not, since sage resolved the conflict itself.

if this is a problem, and your wife (or anyone for that matter) doesnt want to watch the later recording, assuming that one comes on. you could tell sage to record first runs only of that paticular favorite, but then you'd have missed one of the recordings for sure.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Sage Icon

There were no conflicts whatsoever and it was the only show recorded at that time. Now, it's possible that I was experimenting hours (or even a day) earlier and recording with all the encoders being used for a short time like a few minutes or so just to do some testing (I'm still tweaking my entire Sage system). Perhaps Sage might have therefore moved the recording later in the future but never moved it back. I don't know but your reply seems plausible.

Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Many reasons and reason #3 at the end of my post perhaps being the most important of all. (Reason 1 - this happend to me) Let's say there's a show that is aired several times a day like the Twilight Zone or All in the Family, etc. and I don't have time to watch them because they are aired too often and are now starting to take up a lot of disk space. Now a few weeks later I have 40 episodes of them and I know will not get around to watching them for a long time so I just decide to go into Windows Explorer and delete all of them that are say more than a week old (even though I may not have watched them or not watched all of them) to free up space for things I consider a little higher on the priority list for recording. However, perhaps in 6 months or a year or whenever I may not have 2 500 gig drives on my server but maybe 2 drives in the terabytes instead and space is even less of an issue (or maybe I just don't want the clutter and there's just no time in my life right now to watch them).
If you delete them in Sage, or in Windows Explorer (not recommended unless Sage is shut down first), and they have not been watched, or marked watched, then Sage will re-schedule them to be recorded as soon as it seems them in the EPG again. Perhaps limiting the favorite to a specific number of recordings would help

Quote:
(Reason 2) Let's say I watch a show (I'm not sure if it is then automatically marked as watched or not) and later realize I wished I had saved it for someone else to watch. Now I have to monitor all the shows until it comes on again.
Nope, don't have to monitor all the showings, just set the show as "unwatched". If you go into the options for a show, Twilight Zone, for example, you can go to "view historical airings" and find the specific show that you want Sage to record again. Just remove the "watched" tag and it will record the show as soon as possible.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I think that will work and I read the FAQ. So, if I understand it correctly and if I go into Windows Explorer and delete say 50 Twilight Zones (just don't have time in my life right now so I'll remove the Favorite as well) and then later in my life decide to start it up as a Favorite again then it will record those episodes even with a unique ID as long as I have not marked it as Watched and it is not still in my Sage Recordings?

Thanks,
Mike
Yup, you understand it correctly.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Sage is smart, stop worrying about what it's doing and let it do it's thing.

Last edited by blade; 05-14-2006 at 06:00 AM.