SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Sage User

any way to "cripple" the mvp? or parental control.

i'm thinking of putting an mvp in my kid's room. he's 5 and i would prefer if i couldn't schedule or delete recordings. in fact it would be great if he could be limited to watching just "his" channels, and watch just his recordings.

is there any way to do this, or at least partially do this. maybe limiting live channels is a problem, but just showing his recordings sounds kinda doable, especially if i have sage save them all to the same folder/drive on the server.

any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM
SageTVaholic

If your talking about in the Program Guide listings then my Favorite Channel Lists can restrict the display to just certain channels. This doesn't limit the ability to change to an unlisted channel once you are in the media player however.

BobP.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Something else you can do is install Nielms Dynamic Menu STV and then create a "custom" Stv that your MVP would use. I did this with my daughters MVP by taking out many menu options such as SETUP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
If your talking about in the Program Guide listings then my Favorite Channel Lists can restrict the display to just certain channels. This doesn't limit the ability to change to an unlisted channel once you are in the media player however.

BobP.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
Something else you can do is install Nielms Dynamic Menu STV and then create a "custom" Stv that your MVP would use. I did this with my daughters MVP by taking out many menu options such as SETUP.
that sounds closer to what i'm looking for. i'll give it a go as soon as my mvp arrives.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

BobP.
Bob,

Can you make it do that? Limit it to staying only on the "approved" channel list.

Thanks,

B
Old 05-18-2006, 04:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
Bob,

Can you make it do that? Limit it to staying only on the "approved" channel list.

Thanks,

B
Yes but you have to turn on Parental Controls. You don't have to actually setup parental controls you just need to have them turned on. Then from within the configuration screen for the Favorite Channels you select your list of channels that you would like it to be restricted to and select the menu item RESTRICT TO. Once that is done you will have to enter the Parental Lock code in order to switch from that channel list in the Program Guide. The latest version also allows this to be global over the whole SageTV network or local to each PC. You do need to have the plugin installed for this restriction to happen as it is only restricting the display. As far as SageTV is concerned all of the channels are available and if the plugin is not installed SageTV will not restrict the program guide to those channels. One other thing to note the settings for which (global or local) are stored on the Server. So when you change to global and have the channels restricted it will immediately affect all SageTV clients on the network (connected to that Server anyway). One last note if this is in global mode the channels are stored on the Server so that they are the same on each SageTV client and if in local mode the channels are stored on each SageTV client PC.

BobP.

This help?
Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes but you have to turn on Parental Controls. You don't have to actually setup parental controls you just need to have them turned on. Then from within the configuration screen for the Favorite Channels you select your list of channels that you would like it to be restricted to and select the menu item RESTRICT TO. Once that is done you will have to enter the Parental Lock code in order to switch from that channel list in the Program Guide. The latest version also allows this to be global over the whole SageTV network or local to each PC. You do need to have the plugin installed for this restriction to happen as it is only restricting the display. As far as SageTV is concerned all of the channels are available and if the plugin is not installed SageTV will not restrict the program guide to those channels. One other thing to note the settings for which (global or local) are stored on the Server. So when you change to global and have the channels restricted it will immediately affect all SageTV clients on the network (connected to that Server anyway). One last note if this is in global mode the channels are stored on the Server so that they are the same on each SageTV client and if in local mode the channels are stored on each SageTV client PC.

BobP.

This help?
Just a point of clarification.. With your plugin, I understand I can create and lock a client to a specific guide. But is what you are saying, that I can restrict the client from being able to tune any channel?

My 8 and 5 year old don't know how to use guide, but they sure know what channel Disney and Nick are on. Unfortunately, Disney is one up from Comedy Central, which is taboo for them.

Thanks,

B
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Just a point of clarification.. With your plugin, I understand I can create and lock a client to a specific guide. But is what you are saying, that I can restrict the client from being able to tune any channel?

My 8 and 5 year old don't know how to use guide, but they sure know what channel Disney and Nick are on. Unfortunately, Disney is one up from Comedy Central, which is taboo for them.

Thanks,

B
that's exactly what i'm trying to do... my 5 year old right now has a full access to the cable box, and while he hasn't ordered ppv or tuned into playboy yet, it's only a matter of time until i get asked "Hey, why's that guy hurting that lady like that".

i too would like to limit not only his list of channels that he can tune to, but also the list of recordings he can play off the server. we've had tivo since he was born, so he's pretty adept at scheduling his own recordings, which is great, and i woudn't mind if kept on doing that himself.

on an unrelated note, when you have a kid that grew up with tivo on a main tv, it does cause some interesting problems. when he was three, he complained to both grandma's that he can't pause the tv while he has to go to the bathroom, or eat or whatever. sick of his complaints, both grandparents got tivo's.

we're in a new house now, and he finally has his own tv in his room, so i'm trying to decide if i should get him an mvp hooked up to a server, or just give him my tivo.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks,

B
The plugin in it current form only restricts the Guide but not the ability to change the channel in the Media Player. I will look at an update that will limit the media player but it will have to be compatible with jbuszkie's mini-guide to really be effective so this will likely take a while - few weeks anyway.

BobP.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Sorry just thought of this. Wouldn't parental controls work 90% of the time for this? After all when parental controls are enabled and configured if you try to change to a LiveTV program or Sage Recording that exceeds the settings in Parental Controls you are prevented from actually watching the video unless you enter the Parental Lock Code. My original idea with the restrictions in the Program Guide was just to stop the user from looking in the Program Guide at things that you don't want them to see - like some of the movie and series titles on the Adult channels, but not to stop you from actually tuning to the channel. Parental Controls when configured can do that. I'm still going to look at doing this but was curious why parental controls aren't working for you.

BobP.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorry just thought of this. Wouldn't parental controls work 90% of the time for this? After all when parental controls are enabled and configured if you try to change to a LiveTV program or Sage Recording that exceeds the settings in Parental Controls you are prevented from actually watching the video unless you enter the Parental Lock Code. My original idea with the restrictions in the Program Guide was just to stop the user from looking in the Program Guide at things that you don't want them to see - like some of the movie and series titles on the Adult channels, but not to stop you from actually tuning to the channel. Parental Controls when configured can do that. I'm still going to look at doing this but was curious why parental controls aren't working for you.

BobP.
The problem is that some shows are unrated. Good or bad. For instance, I know my kids don't need to see music videos on MTV, BET, VH1, etc., but if the PC rating is not set, I have no control. I just want to block the channel all together. I have also run into instances where decent shows were NR and that was blocked.. Way too limited. If you have ever used a Tivo, they have a much more refined set of controls compared to SageTV.

Thanks again Bob,

B
Old 05-21-2006, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The problem is that some shows are unrated. Good or bad. For instance, I know my kids don't need to see music videos on MTV, BET, VH1, etc., but if the PC rating is not set, I have no control. I just want to block the channel all together. I have also run into instances where decent shows were NR and that was blocked.. Way too limited. If you have ever used a Tivo, they have a much more refined set of controls compared to SageTV.

Thanks again Bob,

B
Good news! It looks like this is going to be possible but the "previous channel" command is proving to be difficult. I am working on a solution now. Will be a week+ to complete this but it looks promising.

BobP.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Good news! It looks like this is going to be possible but the "previous channel" command is proving to be difficult. I am working on a solution now. Will be a week+ to complete this but it looks promising.

BobP.
Bob,

That is excellent news! If you mean the kids will lose the ability to use previous channel features, I don't care. :-) They don't use it now and they will have their own STV (a renamed duplicate of the stock one) on their MVPs set in the config file.

Thanks again,

B
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Bob,

That is excellent news! If you mean the kids will lose the ability to use previous channel features, I don't care. :-) They don't use it now and they will have their own STV (a renamed duplicate of the stock one) on their MVPs set in the config file.

Thanks again,

B
I have posted a new update to my Favorite Channel Lists plugin that I have enhansed to limit the ability to view videos from channels that are not on the approved list. I also have enabled the ability to sort the channels in any sequence you want to display them. The plugin is available from the link above and not on the download page because I have not completed the SageMC version of this yet. That will take me 1+ months due to work but this version for the Default STV should be fully functional. Please report any problems on the regular Favorite Channel Lists thread.

BobP.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have posted a new update to my Favorite Channel Lists plugin that I have enhansed to limit the ability to view videos from channels that are not on the approved list. I also have enabled the ability to sort the channels in any sequence you want to display them. The plugin is available from the link above and not on the download page because I have not completed the SageMC version of this yet. That will take me 1+ months due to work but this version for the Default STV should be fully functional. Please report any problems on the regular Favorite Channel Lists thread.

BobP.
I'll start with this tomorrow if I have time. Thanks again.

B
Old 06-05-2006, 10:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'll start with this tomorrow if I have time. Thanks again.

B
Just found one incompatibility so far. Don't install this with my Custom Time Skip plugin - for now. Opps.

BobP.

Edit. Found and have now fixed some other incompatibility problems so If you download earlier today please get the pluging again. It should work better. Still have to fix the Custom Time Skip compatibility but all other ones that I have found should be fixed now.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 06-06-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage Icon

Optionally you can have the kids shows stored in a specific path, then you can use the filters to have the imported videos only show content from their kids directory.

With dynamic menus.

Code:
<internalScreenMenuItem icon="hover_my videos.png" screen="Video Library Folder View" title="My Videos">
            <evalExpression>AddStaticContext("PathFilterExprs", new_java_util_ArrayList())</evalExpression>
            <evalExpression>java_util_List_add(PathFilterExprs, "\\\\PATH\\TOYOUR\KIDS\VIDS")</evalExpression>
            <evalExpression>AddStaticContext("PathFilterExcludes", false)</evalExpression>
        </internalScreenMenuItem>
This way you can use content not captured through SageTV too.