SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Audio volume levels

I just bought a new 5.1 system (Logitec Z-5500) to replace my TVs built-in speakers. The audio system comes with a built-in decoder for DTS at al. Previously I had been using the decoders that came with TheaterTek with the audio pack.

My audio is just the Realtek AC'97 CODEC built-in to my motherboard.

I rebuilt the entire system from scratch and only installed the nVidia PureVideo decoders (no audio) and the latest Realtek drivers. I plugged in the "receiver" with a coax S/PDIF connection.

I get audio through the system, although I have to use the receiver to control the volume. I understand that is to be expected and I can program my remote to control that volume.

My problem is that audio coming off the Hauppauge 500 is much louder than that off the AverMedia A180 and DVDs. I had addressed this before by pushing all audio through the same decoders. However, this doesn't seem to help here.

I tried plugging in the analog cables (the set of three), but I get the same results. I'm not sure how I get any audio off the analog cables for DVDs as I do not have any software decoders installed to my knowledge. I only get the audio that way if I set the receiver to "6 channel direct", so maybe that has something to do with it.

My question is to how best to set up my audio. I want everything to be about the same level so the family isn't scared (or woken up) when switching from DVD to TV. I'd rather not do the software decoders since I already bought the PureVideo Bronze without the audio decoders. However, if that's the way to go, I don't mind. I've been browsing the forums and found similar questions, but no real answers. Any help would be appreciated.