SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Sage Expert

Placeshifter...Wow! But a few things...

Looks good! Placeshifter wasn't even on my radar, but it grows on you quickly. A few questions

1. When would one pick placeshifter, at home, over the Sage client?
2. How about a feature that allows read only access to a user. I don't want certain users a client deleting files or changing parental controls.
3. How about displaying something, besides the IP address, in the PS client? When someone is standing over your sholders, the PS Manager not only displays the IP address in the basic listing, but blasts "connecting to <IP> in bold letters!

Keep up the good work! It looks great!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
2. How about a feature that allows read only access to a user. I don't want certain users a client deleting files or changing parental controls.
I too would like to have an account where a person can NOT delete files, but able to use the system remotely. Is there a way to do this. I created a second acount remotely, but there doesn't seem to be any control except enable/disable.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Right now, that would have to be controlled by the capabilities of the STV assigned to the user. i.e.: You would have to customize an STV so that it only has the features you want it to have, which may include not having an option in it to change the STV or add any imports. You can assign a specific STV to a user in Manage Placeshifter Users dialog.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
1. When would one pick placeshifter, at home, over the Sage client?
The only time I can think if is if you have a bad wireless connection (smooth streaming not possible) and wired network is absolutely not an option, then the transcoding can be helpful (helped me setup my antenna the other day ).

Quote:
I think there are some/a custom STV with some security features you could try.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Right now, that would have to be controlled by the capabilities of the STV assigned to the user. i.e.: You would have to customize an STV so that it only has the features you want it to have, which may include not having an option in it to change the STV or add any imports. You can assign a specific STV to a user in Manage Placeshifter Users dialog.

- Andy
Hmmm... Wonder if that's going to change in 5.1???