SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Using STVi's with Placeshifter?

I'm trying to use the Comskip STVi to skip commericials using PlaceShifter (I have Showanalyzer runningon the server).

The good news is that it works. The bad news is that PlaceShifter doesn't seem to remember to use the STVi between usages, so I have to import it every time I load up Placeshifter.

Is there a way to make this stick? Am I missing something obvious?

TIA
Old 05-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

A placeshifter users gets its STV from the settings for that user on the server.

There are 2 things you can do in Detailed Setup -> Advanced:
  1. Manage the placeshifter users, choose the user's name, then set the STV to be used.
    OR
  2. While logged in as that PS user, simply set the STV via the "STV Application Package" option.

In either case, be sure to pick the one that was created by the import process.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
where I can make change permament so that when I restart placeshifter I do not have to select STV each time I run it?
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Administrator

The options I mentioned above are found in Detailed Setup -> Advanced. Those are 2 ways to assign an STV to a particular Placeshifter user.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

hmm, strange I did chose the second option so from client findow I went to settings and I did chose the STV I wanted to use. But then when I closed my placeshifter window and I did open it back again I had to chose that STV agai, it did not stay as previously choosen...
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Are you using the latest version?

I just tried it by logging in as a user & choosing an STV, by assigning as STV to a user via the server, and by connecting via a LAN w/o having to enter a user name, then choosing an STV. In all cases, it used the selected STV the next time I connnected.

- Andy
Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

yes, I did install at home 5.0.4 and today at work I also did the same with placeshifter, but I will doublecheck...

yeah its latest. I am not changing that STV on a server side, I am changing STV from placeshifter screen...
setup -> detailed -> advanced -> then sageTV application package.

then when I close my placeshifter and start it again it is gone.

Chris
Old 06-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

under system status I see SageTV v5.0.4.92
java version 1.5.0_05
and then current STV file which is dated back to February 23, 2006, I wanted to update it to never one but I cant
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Yes, I did it on the PS too. I don't know why it doesn't save it for you, but you can try the other method I said: manage PS Users & set the STV for that user. That option is available on the Placeshifter too, as long as you are using the default STV.

- Andy
Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
A placeshifter users gets its STV from the settings for that user on the server.

There are 2 things you can do in Detailed Setup -> Advanced:
  1. Manage the placeshifter users, choose the user's name, then set the STV to be used.
    OR
  2. While logged in as that PS user, simply set the STV via the "STV Application Package" option.

In either case, be sure to pick the one that was created by the import process.

- Andy

I think there is some confusion here. I was at trying to configure my PS user account to use an STVi not an STV (in my case comskip playback support). Looking at the placeshifter options, it looks like you can set the STV, but not an STVi for PS users.

If you set the STVi from the PlaceShifter it works, but the setting is NOT retained in the PS user account.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

That would be a different case, since you are talking about importing a customization, not setting it to use a full STV.

Since it doesn't automatically configure the PS user to use the newly created STV after the import process, you would need to assign the new version of that STV to that PS user. (Every time you import an STVi file, it adds the file, then saves the resulting STV as a new file with a "-#", where # is incremented for each import you add.)

- Andy
Old 07-30-2006, 10:38 PM
Sage Icon

I've tried setting everything I can find to get Placeshifter to use my "custom-6.xml" like SageTV. No matter what I change it still shows placecustom-3.xml in the detailed settings page. I was sure to shut down the service before I made changes to the properties file. 'sageclient.properties' shows STV=c\:\\[correct path]\\custom-6.xml and sage.properties shows STV=c\:\\[correct path]\\sagetv3.xml and miniclient using custom-6.xml

Sage lists custom-6.xml in use in the detailed settings page. I know this is probably a simple thing, but I haven't found a solution in the last 30min.

Also, I loaded the Sagetv3.xml and set the user STV to custom-6.xml for placeshifter. Found java 1.5x loaded and just updated to 1.4.2_12 and that didn't make a difference. Why again is it that whem I try to select another file for Placeshifter under Advanced that all I can see are .STV files instead of .XML like in Sage?

Edit:

Stumbled on a .properties file in C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\clients that had the placecustom-3.xml listed. Changed that to custom-6.xml and things seem to be working. We'll see for how long.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Last edited by hemicuda; 07-30-2006 at 11:11 PM.