SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

burning recorded shows to dvd

Hi all, I have a lot of recordings from sage now, and I wanted to make dvds from some of them.
I had been using a lower quality recording setting previously, just because I was thinking I should try and save space. I recently increased my recording quality because I wanted nice sharp captures of sopranos etc.

My trouble is, these older recordings I made, I cant get them to burn onto DVD. I use "tmpgenc dvd author" software and anytime I drag one of these older files in, it says "480x480 is not a valid dvd res" and then it says the bitrate is not compatible. My newer recordings are fine. Is there any kind of software I can use to downconvert/upconvert these files so I can burn them? I also own VideoReDo, but it doesnt seem to help with changing the recorded resolution.

I was wondering what would happen if I simply renamed the output of video redo to video_ts.vob and let Nero burn a video DVD... would it play? any suggestions much appreciated... and links to software that can do what I want also appreciated.
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 05-24-2006, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I think you're going to have trouble with doing that. You need to find something that will transcode to a standard DVD resolution I believe. And if you find a package to do that the other thing you will find it it will take a long while to do it. If you have the latest version of Nero (7) use Nerovision 4. This may work but it needs to be the latest.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 05-24-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Sage User

I believe adobe encore will do it.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

i am downloading adobe encore now.
I guess I am surprised that sage would record anything in a format that is not burnable to dvd. I wish there was some indication of that when I selected the compression rate... I would never have picked it had I known.
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 05-25-2006, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

That's why some of the recording qualities actually have (DVD) in the listing description. When you use something like Adobe Encore you're going to find out it is going to take an extremely long time to reencode it. I mean probably in the 4-6 hour range.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

yea, I should have known and used nothing less then DVD extended or whatever it is... nevertheless, it would be nice if sage just put up a little dialog when you select "Great" that says, "Warning, this mode will not allow archiving to dvd"... or even just in the documentation. I agree with you, it is partially obvious given the compression name, but it could be clearer.
as for the time it takes... there are only 2 episodes of sopranos, and 2 of bg love which I must recode... I will set them when I head out for work and hopefully they will be done when I get home... my pc is decently fast... 2.4 ghz with 1gb ram. that is goign to heat up the old CPU though! might not be a good thing to not be monitoring temperatures.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

i dont think adobe encore can do it.
at least I dont see how to enable the import of these file types to the software. it keeps saying the source file is the wrong resolution.
this really stinks! I am stuck now with 4 files that I cannot archive.

there must be a way!!! if i saved them as .vob files, and burned them with nero, would they still play? (basically not change the res or bitrate)

if someone knows how to make adobe encore do this, please advise... similarly, if someone knows of any software that can do this, please advise!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

in the spirit of giving back to the community, I will tell you I just now discovered how to convert these files, and ahve successfully done so, in less then 1/2 hour processing.

I used software called svcd2dvdmpg to create a .mpv and .mpa (video and audio)... this is some kind of "spoofing" software, that fakes some header data so the stream will play as a dvd stream... it doesnt actually convert the resolution. then I used tmpgenc to multiplex the video and audio together... the result is a dvd compatible file, with no visual loss in quality, or audio sync problems. it ran in the svcd2mpg software for about 10 minutes, then another 5 in tmpgenc.

works like a charm! Of course, in the future, I will encodwe from sage in dvd compatible format... but this was a ncie easy and quick way to create dvd compatible files from svcd content.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Shameless plug

Or you could switch to SageMC STV and use my DVD burning plugin

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17484

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 05-26-2006, 06:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

will that even burn shows to dvd that arent recorded at dvd resolution?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Oh yeah, it will burn almost any video you can record/import into Sage. Although your shows that are in non-dvd format would be transcoded by my plugin.

I'm not sure what sort of voodoo svcd2dvdmpg is doing, but after reading your post, i'm very curious. I think I may have to investigate it a little bit...

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 05-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

how can i revert back to regular sage after using the sage mc plugin?
i'd like to try it.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehlke
how can i revert back to regular sage after using the sage mc plugin?
i'd like to try it.
Hi aoehlke,

this is easy, just go to Settings/Detailed Setup/Advanced in SageMC, choose 'SageTV Application package" and select the default 'SageTV3.xml' file. After this, you will be back to the standard GUI ...

If you install SageMC, make sure you install the latest STV version 6_2 with my additions which can be downloaded here. If you need any further help, let me know.

Dirk
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

what if I dont have a 16x9 tv? this stv seems to suggest it is for 16x9 format.
who knows, maybe I will like it and keep it
Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

ummm I installed sage mc... but it seems like it is very difficult to navigate with a mouse... there is no back button either... I have had to kill sage numerous times when I've landed in menus with no back button and even the main menu items are not sensitiev to the mouse... only the arrow keys
Old 05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

also, since in installed sage MC, there is no longer an option to import stvi (for the 6_2 addon)in the advanced menu... looks like I hosed my sage guys.

are the install instructions stale perhaps?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
also, since in installed sage MC, there is no longer an option to import stvi (for the 6_2 addon)in the advanced menu... looks like I hosed my sage guys.

are the install instructions stale perhaps?
The link I posted above (v6_2) is *not* an import, it is a full STV, so you simply load it as a SageTV Application Package... Don't worry, nothing is 'hosed' ... Ok, here are the detailed steps:

- install the SageMC 16x9 base package (link) - you obviously already did that
- unzip the latest STV v6.2 into your Sage folder (preserve folder paths) link
- go to Settings/DetailedSetup/Advanced and select "SageTV Application Package (.STV File)" on the right
- in the file browser, select SageMC_169.xml (this is the file you unzipped)

That's it ...

If you want to revert to the standard SageTV interface, go again to "Settings/DetailedSetup/Advanced" and load "SagetTV3.xml", and everything should be back to normal.

Dirk
Old 05-26-2006, 11:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ummm I installed sage mc... but it seems like it is very difficult to navigate with a mouse... there is no back button either... I have had to kill sage numerous times when I've landed in menus with no back button and even the main menu items are not sensitiev to the mouse... only the arrow keys
One thing to note. SageMC was designed with the 10ft remote interface in mind so I don't think the mouse will work well with it - unless flachbar has implemented more mouse functions then when I tried it.

BobP.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK, i found that the "home" key ususally backs me out of any menu I get stuck in.

One thing I have noticed, is that since installing sagemc, there is no longer an stvi import option anywhere.... is this normal? there are 2 options in advanced that say import stv. I could have sworn before the sagemc install, that thre was an stvi option there.
the 2 options are currently:

sagetv application package .stv file
and
import sage tv application package .stv file

seems like an almost redundant setting.

PS- I am running sage 5.03 beta.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

in the windwows explorer. I can see the xml file, but frmo sage, I cant, it only shows stv files.