SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Weird Firewire issue - recorded 2 channels on 1 STB at the same time?

Hey guys,

I've been using Sage for about 3 months now. Got a Server with a PVR500 and then moved up and add a Firewire Motorola 6200 STB. I use SageClient on a PC connected to my HDTV. Everything works GREAT!!! SageTV does have a steep learning curve, but I'm getting pretty good with it.

Strange thing happened last night.

I have a "American Idol" HD favorite and a "Lost" HD favorite. Last night was both of their season finales. "American Idol" was on from 7pm to 9pm and "Lost was on from 8pm to 10pm and keep in mind that the favorites are set to only record from a specific channel so that I get the HD version only. Also, I only have one HD 6200 STB. So, CONFLICT!! I went to conflict area and told it to record American Idol over Lost or my wife would have killed me.

Now for the weird part, we started watching American Idol at 7:45pm, so we can skip commercials, everything went great. When the show was over, I noticed Lost was recording. I went to this recording and it started from the beginning wtf, WOW. My SINGLE Motorola 6200 recorded 2 shows at the same time.

At this time I was happy that I got to see the entire Lost episode, but at the same time I was blow away and did not understand what happened. So then I brought up the guide and selected the channel that American Idol was on and it changed while still recording Lost. Then I tried changing to another channel other than the two I recorded from and a channel only the 6200 STB can get, then I got the message that I would have to stop recording Lost. I canceled and continued recording Lost. I then changed to the channel American Idol was recorded on and was watching that channel, not American Idol, the show after American Idol and recording Lost at the same time.

Now the question is, can I reproduce this. I will try to tonight. A bigger question, HOW DID this happen?? I know the Motorola 6200 specs say that it has 2 tuners, but everyone says the 2nd is a cable modem. Also keep in mind that there is a single firewire cable from the STB to my SageTV Server.

-Polen
Old 05-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up

WOW, I reproduced the ability to record two channels at the same time with only one Motorola 6200 STB. Here's how I did it.

Find two shows in the future that overlap that are first run shows and only the 6200 can tune to, like an hour show and the second show on a different channel that starts like 30 minutes later.

Now create favorites for each show and specify First run and also specify the channel, not the "Any" channel setting.

After a few minutes you will see the red first run record icon on each of the shows and I also did not see a conflict. Last night I must have had a different conflict.

Both shows will record.

On top of this you can now set manual recordings on these 2 channels at the same time as long as you just keep watching these 2 channels.

I wonder if anyone else can produce this? and if so, then the two tuners in the 6200 can actually be used, then we would just have to figure out how to tell SageTV that there are 2 tuners.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Okay after more testing of this, I figured out what was happening. My Cable's channel lineup has a analog channel 9 with call letters KRHDLP and an HD channel 720 with call letters KRHDLP so when I would go to channel 720, sage was actually going to channel 9 which is my PVR500. DOH!

Channel 9 doesn't show up in my guide, so Sage must be remapping it with the channel number 720. I went into the channel setup and removed channel 9 and now channel 720 is going through the STB, but now I lost my ability to view the analog version of this channel which is ABC.

How do I get channel 9 to work and channel 720 to aways use the STB.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Is there a way to force channel 9 to use different call letters? Currently channel 9 is KRHDLP, can i force it to use KRLP?