SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

slow audio and video, slow-motion like...

ive been experiencing a problem for quite a long time actually, but never really bothered to worry about it because the affected recordings were stuff i didnt want to watch anyway and just deleted. but last night, a recording i actually wanted to watch got affected so, now i kind of want to get this fixed . im wondering if anyone else (recently) has experienced this slow video and audio in their recordings on occasion. the video plays like its in slow motion, and the audio sounds like its 2-3 octives too low and also plays slow. kind of a neat effect but not something you can shut off

after a quick and dirty search of the forums there are some posts where people are exhibiting the same behavior but most of them if not all, are 8-12 months old, ie: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ght=slow+audio
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ght=slow+audio
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ght=slow+audio

anyway, if i change audio codecs (from nvidia) to another then i get different results, like with ac3filer i still get slow audio and video, however its about twice as fast as nvidia. if i try 'default' audio decoder, then i get results like using the nvidia decoder (assuming nvidia IS my default decoder). if i try "mpeg audio decoder" then i get the same results as if i used ac3filter, somewhat faster playback of audio and video, but still nowhere close to normal speed. if i try "sage mpeg decoder" then the audio plays back fine, and the video seems to play back at the correct speed also, but now the video and audio are desynced.

i thought at first it was nvidia purevideo audio codec, but despite the different results with different codecs being used, i dont think its a codec problem at all, because ive tried to play the recording in different computers and different players. winamp, wmpclassic, wmp10, nor zoomplayer will play the file correctly. different players give different results, but none play it correctly and some (like winamp) refuse to play it at all, it will play like 1/2 a second of it, then stop.

so to me, it seems like this could be a driver issue? a hauppage driver issue maybe? something at the encoding level, since other players have problems with the file also. since others that seem to be reporting the problem, is such a long time ago, my drivers are dated 9.22.2004, ver. 1.18.21.22266 (reported by windows device manager). this is a pvr250 (rev 16). the driver is the latest on the hauppage site listed for download (PVR250_22_23070.exe)

i know there used to be a beta site with hauppage drivers but i dont have the link anymore and i think that link i had died a while ago anyway. does anyone know where i can get some newer drivers to try, or have any information on what the problem might be?

thanks

Last edited by xlr8shun; 05-25-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Sage Icon

This is a recuringproblem for me - every other day or so. Seems to be triggered by shows on PBS, but not always. In a prior thread on this forum, several other users said they too had the problem.

I wrote this up some weeks ago as a formal problem report.
The Sage support response was a lame "Upgrade to v5 and see what happens".

This will likely add new problems; based on what I read here.

I have found that when the slo-mo playback happens - and it won't correct itself by simply choosing the same or ANY OTHER show again, two actions fix it: (1) press the stop button on the remote, then view again, or (2) go to the setup screens and "reload media player".

I found that (1) fixes the problem 1/3 of the time and (2) fixes it 100% of the problem.

This affects the WAF.

I wish Sage would pay more attention to user bug reports and less to questionably attractive new features like place-shifting.

Last edited by stevech; 05-26-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

have you ever tried to play the affected files back in a different, external media player? i'd be curious as to your results.

i havent specifically tried to 'reload media player' as you describe, but while switching audio decoders (in my previous testing) i did choose to 'reload media player' after choosing a different codec.

and i cant say that i have ever pressed stop, then tried to play the affected recording again. although next time i run across this problem i will indeed try that

if you see the same thing i see, when trying to play an affected file in a different, external player, that is, those players dont play the file correctly either, then i'd venture a guess to say that this isnt sage causing the problem. it seems to be 'deeper' then sage, before sage ever touches the recording it seems to be getting screwed up. but im not a programmer so i could be wrong. if other players play your affected recording fine, then i wonder if we even have the same issue.. and if it happens to be same issue, then maybe it is sages fault afterall..

anyway, i wish i could reproduce this issue, then try some things to see if its fixed, rather then try something then wait 1 day to 1 month with my fingers crossed, hoping it does or doesnt happen again... :/

couple more questions, what driver version are you using? do you have a pvr250? 150? 500? etc..

--edit: and i am now using v5.0.3 ive seen this in 2.x, 4.x 5.0.1 and now 5.0.3
Old 05-26-2006, 01:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

an update

i had a break in recording times, so i decided to update my pvr 250 drivers, the latest i could find was from shs' site and while its a newer version, its dated oct 2004 also..

is there anything outthere that is newer? i know i have an old(er) card but.. geesh the latest driver is from 2004? that cant be the last update.