SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Sage User

Wintv works fine, Sage just gives static

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so let me explain my situation... I have a SFF PC which I am using as an HTPC and have been looking at various software and have been using a trial version of sage and I must say it's my favourite so far. I have a sky stb and use the rf out into my pvr-150mce.

The skybox is set to channel 60, and I tuned sage accordingly and got it all working. Excellent!

However, last night I was messing around with trying to get channel changes and stuff using exetuner (well, exemultituner - not becuase I have multiple stbs, but because it's got the right location in the registry) I stopped getting a picture, all I get is static.

I tried:
1. setting up the video source again
2. setting the stb to output to different channels
3. reinstalling sage (clearing all registry keys and program dirs)
4. installing wintv2000 - this works absolutely fine.

When setting up the video source, and I choose "TV Tuner" I get the picture in the preview window (with "4" beneath it, which I thought was the channel number - why it says 4 I don't know but I have tried setting channel 4 and it still doesnt work) - once I get through the setup it goes back to static every time.

Please please has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Dan.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm not familiar with the Skybox stb. Is is simply a cable or satellite tuner? Use the S-Video output of the stb to the PVR-150. Use S-Video as the input in SageTV. For tuning a stb with ir through SageTV I highly recommend a USB-UIRT.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply. It's a satellite stb in the uk. It does not have SVideo or Composite outputs so I have to use RF. i have heard about the USB UIRT, but I have other plans for channel changing... The problem I have is that sage wont show the picture but wintv will. That makes no sense to me.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanA
Thanks for the reply. It's a satellite stb in the uk. It does not have SVideo or Composite outputs so I have to use RF. i have heard about the USB UIRT, but I have other plans for channel changing... The problem I have is that sage wont show the picture but wintv will. That makes no sense to me.
Does it have a Scart output ? If so, I would look at something like this, I would think the pic quallity will be quite superior to RF ...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

From this thread try setting the tuner as the input and external stb for tuning. I think SageTV will ask you what channel to use. Put in channel 60 or whatever channel the skybox wants to sent video on. I haven't done this myself but in theory that should work.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Sage User

Yes that is how it is set up and it was working but not any more. I am going to get one of those thanks for the tip flachbar. It's still a mystery - I just hope nothing is wrong with the hardware that I will have problems with if I want to use it with TV in future - if it was I could get a replacement as it's new... but I have a feeling they will say if it works with wintv (which it does) then theres nothing wrong with it.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I guess the next thing to do is verify the channel the stb is outputting and verify SageTV is set to the right channel. Maybe temporarily set the tuning to internal and cycle through the channels to see where the video is really coming in. Regardless, I would definitely get one of those scart adapters to get the best video quality possible.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 AM
Sage User

Yes I have found one at a local store so will be picking one up tonight.

I tried the internal tuning thing and cycled and none of them had a signal.

I have verified the stb is outputting to 60 through both wintv and my actual tv.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here's a thought. Do you have another video source you could try to hook up to the PVR-150? Maybe dust off a VCR or something
Old 05-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Sage User

Thanks, I will try that... I now have composite working through one of those connectors (svideo was terrible quality). I even got channel changing working (sometimes!). Thanks for your help.