SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Source Setup PVR150 Setup 5 : Tuning Plugin

Is it a bug that there are no remotes to choose from on the tuner setup?

I notice there are 400 files in the remotes directory.

-MrD
Old 05-27-2006, 11:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
You should verify if you selected the right port.

_Demo_
Old 05-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

"port" I am not sure what that means. Is it akin to "/dev/video0"

-MrD
Old 06-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Sage User

Me too

Okay, so I realized after buying a PVR-500 that it was going to be a pain in the neck trying to find and buy a good IR transmitting solution to tune my cable STB's. Or perhaps I just ran out of patience after spending three days troubleshooting why I could cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg the PVR-500, but couldn't actually get a picture in mythtv or sagetv.

I have since traded in the PVR-500 for two PVR-150's -- the models with the integraded IR blasters. This seemed to be the best scenario. Little more expensive than the PVR-500 by itself, but I thought having the onboard IR blaster would make up for it.

I'll admit, I am not going the standard Gentoo route. I tried installing Gentoo previously and while it seemed to do okay, the install would fail at one point or another and this is after burning three different install discs all using different install methods (minimal, LiveCD, etc). I chose Ubuntu for its simplicity and easy install (by far, the easiest linux distro I've dealt with yet) and so far I have been very happy. Beside the PVR-500 issue which I solved on my own (with lots of help from Google), it works flawlessly with Sage V5.

When I had the PVR-500, I was able to tune via the analog tuner card on /dev/video0 and /dev/video1. Naturally, the analog signal was crappy (split too many times, probably, on top of tuner card quality) so I decided it best to go for S-video w/ digital cable STB's.

The punchline:

I am trying to configure the PVR-150's for IR tuning in the Sage setup and I keep getting "Failed to set Infrared Blasting port...". Naturally, that's because there must be something wrong with LIRC.

LIRC was not configured with hauppauge (installed default ubuntu lirc package). OK, so uninstalled ubuntu package and download/compile lirc by hand. Done, included hauppauge as driver. lircd runs at boot, no problem.

What am I missing? Is there a special config file I need to update or make?

Thanks in advance..
Old 06-05-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesterblack
I am trying to configure the PVR-150's for IR tuning in the Sage setup and I keep getting "Failed to set Infrared Blasting port...". Naturally, that's because there must be something wrong with LIRC.
LIRC is not used the tuning, the program needs to access /dev/i2c/0 (the port number you select)

If you are using a different kernel you should verify the settings to make sure those are available.

_Demo_
Old 06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage User

I did not see any direct tinkering with the lirc install in the sagesetup.sh (which I used as a guide as suggested -- worked great).

I did try ls /dev/i2c* and got this result:
Code:
/dev/i2c-0 /dev/i2c-1 /dev/i2c/2
I do have two PVR150's -- shouldn't there be four devices listed (RX/TX, like /dev/lirc?)

What specific kernel settings and/or driver settings are necessary?

Thanks again..

UPDATE:

I took a shot at cheating and making symlinks to /dev/i2c/0, etc. Doing so *did* allow for Sage Setup to recognize the port being open and when I get to the cable box selection screen, I try CBL-Scientific Atlanta-3250-78 and CBL-TIMEWARNER-83. Both choices fail during the power on/off test. I moved the IR blaster around the face of the display bezel trying to see if it was just where I located the blaster. I am using the stock PVR-150 blaster kit that comes with the card.

Any suggestions? Any place I can check to see if IR setup is correct internally w/Sage, etc ?

Last edited by meesterblack; 06-06-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 AM

Can you see the ir led when it tries to do the power command?

_Demo_
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Sage User

I was about to update my post again -- knew you would ask that question.

Yes, the LED does blink when transmitting the command.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Make sure you put the flat backface of the ir blaster over the cable box ir receiver. You should be able to see the ir receiver using a bright light.

_Demo_
Old 09-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Sage User

Same Problem

I have the same problem the LED flashes but doesn't change my box. I tryed on another box to receive the Xmitted IR from my sage box and the receiver doesn't dee the transmitted commands. Alos from the command prompt on the sage bos I tryes irsend command it tells me that the hardware doesn't support transmitting. And fo corse I know it is capable. I have one BLAW windows box (Worlds largest virus) with the tryal version of sage the IR control works fine. I have tryed upgrading to the lateset version of Gentoo and Lirc still doesn't work. I tryed Sage tech support Still waiting

rob