SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Watching TS files??

Is there a way to watch TS files with the MVP?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Sage Expert

I did Yesterday... As long as the TS extrension is in the properties file, then Sage will find the TS file..And once found,it played, just it overscanned the screen. Which is another problem that is being worked on.

Gary
Old 05-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis
I did Yesterday... As long as the TS extrension is in the properties file, then Sage will find the TS file..And once found,it played, just it overscanned the screen. Which is another problem that is being worked on.

Gary
humm, yes the sage.properties file of the server has the .ts extention for the video library, but maybe I should detail my problem a bit more.

I have a Motorola 6200 STB connected with firewire, the live tv and recordings from this device will not display on the MVP. I can change to that channel, but the screen is blank, no sound or picture.

Does the server need to transcode these files, which are TS file with the .mpg extention, or can the MVP decode these.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

The MVP can't decode HD, so yes, the server need to transcode it. I believe there's a property to enable that (not sure what it is off the top of my head).
Old 05-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
The MVP can't decode HD, so yes, the server need to transcode it. I believe there's a property to enable that (not sure what it is off the top of my head).
I got this from another thread, but was not sure if it pertained to this and most the the channels I get from the STB are not HD. Only about 12 of then are, but I'm not worried about HD at this time.

Is this the setting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Set the property: mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

and that should do it.
from http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18092

I put this in the servers sage.properties and it didn't help. Is that the right properties file? Or should it go in the properties file of the MVP under the Clients directory?

Thanks,

-Polen
Old 05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

That's the right properties file. But it won't help with anything that's already recorded. And I don't think it does anything if you're using a network encoder (at least not a native Sage network encoder).
Old 05-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

bummer

I wonder if I need to make a different GraphEdit file to make these files compatible with the mvp, if this is even possible.

Has anyone been able to get the SGraphRecorder network encoding to work with the MVP?

Thanks,

-Polen
Old 05-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Okay, I got a chance to play with it some more and I'm able to browse to the TS files in the Sage Media area and play them through the MVP, even HD content, but it chopped the sides off to letterbox and some shows were choppy, but SD shows played great. The server was transcoding, I saw the SageTVTranscoder.exe running on the server and eating up about 30% cpu.

There has to be a way to watch these shows SageTVRecordings or LiveTV.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can I force transcoding?

Can I create transcoding mode property for TS files, if so how do I do this?

-Polen
Old 05-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I found this property setting to be set in the mvp client's property file.

miniclient/always_transcode=true

But it doesn't seem to work, wouldn't everything be transcoded? Like even my analog PVR500 live TV and recordings, or maybe this isn't in SageTV anymore.

-Polen
Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Sage User

I just connected my MVP and I have the same problem.
I am recording digital tv content via a firewire connection from an SA cable box. I can watch the content in Sage server or client but can not see it on the MVP. Just like polen, the Transport Stream files have a .mpg extension so they are not getting transcoded.
Is there a property to force transcoding on .mpg files? If so, which property file do I use? The sage.properties or the .properties file in the client folder?

Is there a way to have sage use a .ts extension when using SGraphRecorder?
I guess I could always use TS to PS Graph during the firewire capture, but I was hoping there was another way.
--Eric
Old 05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

I know what you mean Eric. I was wondering if the files were PS if this would work, but this setting to allow the Fusion capture card to work with the MVP makes me think it won't.

mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

I have opened a problem ticket with Frey to see what they come up with. So we will see.

Eric, can you browse to one of your TS files through the Media section on your MVP and watch it? I can, but not LiveTV or SageRecordings.

I started preparing for the worst, that it's not supported and have been looking at an inexpesive PC solution and just return the MVP, but I like the little silent MVP.

-Polen
Old 05-31-2006, 06:16 AM
Sage User

Using SGR

I've had a trouble ticket open on this very issue for several weeks. The final answer I received from Sage support was that it was a problem with SGraphRecorder, and that I needed to contact the author for support...
Old 06-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

mjknoops,

George, from Frey, told me that the developers looked at my log files and know what's wrong and will be rolling out a fix for it in version 5.1.

So, It looks like this will be working sometime soon.

-Polen
Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 AM
Sage User

Good News!

Polen,

That's great news - until it's fixed I've gone back to capturing from my MCT-6200 via S-video, which just isn't the same. Looking forward to 5.1!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
Have you guys found a work-around yet (other than waiting for 5.1)?

My wife has a treadmill with a TV in it. I bought a Media MVP and U.S. Robotics wireless bridge to install on the treadmill. Before mounting, I configured it.

Everything went surprisingly smooth. Music plays fine. Prerecorded TS and live TV TS are blank and no audio and no error.

My SageTV server is configured only with the direct TS via Firewire method. It works flawlessly for SD and HD from the Time Warner STB. If there's no work-around, wifey won't be happy.

P.S. polen I borrowed your sig style. Thanks.
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.

Last edited by willgill; 10-02-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Will,

No prob on the sig.

The new Beta v6 I thought would fix this problem, but it doesn't. It's been 4 months since I was told this would be fixed in v5.1 and now with v6 upgrade costing, i want v5 fixed. Where's v5.1?

Also, I replied to my original support email that Beta v6 didn't fix my problem. I'm not mad, just confussed.

-Polen

Last edited by polen; 10-03-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
I do have some good news. It seems that the transcoding in beta 6 will allow SD and HD content to stream to the MediaMVP. I guess I can't totally claim that either. All my 1920x1080 content streams fine EXCEPT for the latest "Heros". Heros plays fine in WMP.
-- I attack it again --
Ok, nevermind I think I just figured that one out. I think I configured the latest ffdshow, that was just released, incorrectly. I switched back to NVidia and all appears good now.

Live TS stream is still blank.
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.