SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Sage Icon

Help with Network Encoder

Help!

I am having trouble making a network encoder work using two Sage Servers.

There is a bunch of conflicting info on the forums about what is the way to do it.

For instance, I followed a set of directions for SageRecorder (which won't work with the HDTV cards), then copied the MMC parameters into the main SageTV server.

That's where I get lost.... One set of instructions says I don't need to do anything with the main server I just need to set encoder discovery to true. I assume I most open the ports 6969 in both firewalls? What about the encoder discovery ports?

On the remote encoder machine, do I run SageTV in client or server mode?

One set of instructions says to delete the source from the encoder machine and run it in Client mode. Another set of instructions doesn't say to do that, but suggests you have to run it in Server mode (this comes from the manual pdf).

Is there anyone that has a good way to make this work?

thanks!
Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

In Appenix G of the v5 manual (p. 248), you want the simplified instructions after "Alternatively". (Prior to that word, the instructions are for using SageTVRecorder for the network encoder; I suppose it could be made clearer...) That last section also covers using "-client" to have a client UI on the network encoder PC.

There is another discussion in progress here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
In Appenix G of the v5 manual (p. 248), you want the simplified instructions after "Alternatively". (Prior to that word, the instructions are for using SageTVRecorder for the network encoder; I suppose it could be made clearer...) That last section also covers using "-client" to have a client UI on the network encoder PC.

There is another discussion in progress here.

- Andy
So I appear to have done it right. I get nothing. All I see on the main sage server is the three WinTV cards that sit in its box. I don't see the Fusion HDTV card that is on the other Sage Server (running in Server mode).

Stupid question 16b..... Does the main sage server "give up" after a certain time looking for network encoders? If I bring a network encoder online must I restart the main sage server to get it to look again?
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator

My dirty little secret about network encoders is that I haven't actually set one up. So, I can only point you towards the directions that I know about & details other than that may need to go through tech support if someone else doesn't chime in with their personal experiences. With that said... perhaps the main server only looks for network encoders when it starts, just like I believe I had to restart the server to get it to see a new PVR-USB2. So, I would try starting them in the sequence that I documented (network encoder first, main server next), if you haven't already done it that way, and see if that does it.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Sage Icon

OK got it all working and life is good....

Another problem.....

When I first got it working, I of course, had to setup the source on the main Sage Server as a network encoder. After I did that all was well.

Sage had automatically (and rightfully so) automatically changed all the favorites to favor the HD channel, where possible. So far so good.

Then I took down the network encoder machine. Again, rightfully so, SageTV couldn't find the HDTV encoder on the other machine and reverted the recordings to the analog stations.

When I brought the encoder back up, Sage would no longer choose the HD source for the favorites, even when I stopped the main Sage server and restarted with the network encoder already running.

Is there a secret properties setting that forces Sage to always favor HD and to keep looking until it finds one?

Stacy
Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell
Is there a secret properties setting that forces Sage to always favor HD and to keep looking until it finds one?
No, SageTV does not take HD vs. SD content into consideration when it creates the schedule.

- Andy
Old 05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
No, SageTV does not take HD vs. SD content into consideration when it creates the schedule.

- Andy
I smell a feature request..... "Always try favories in HD first" or something like that. Maybe even in the favorite itself. Actually, it should be pretty easy to do.... We already have the HD flag, the scheduler could just look to see if the HD version is there and record it first. If for some reason the the HD version goes away it would automatically record the normal analog verison on the analog channel.

Stacy
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Can not see Network Encoder

Hi All,
I have read all the threads on network encoder (I think?) and can't seem to get this working. Many have same questions I have and then get it working but don't say WHAT they did to get it working.
I already have SageClient running on my Client machine--do I still need to do the "-client" thing? I have the property files both changed--on the main Sage Server and on the OTHER server on Client machine. I am still not clear on PORTS--Appendix G does not mention ports opening but some threads do. Do I need to open ports on my router? (8271, 6969???)

I am running SageClient AND SageTV (service mode) on Client machine with one PVR-150 in it.
I am running SageTV(service mode) on MAIN SERVER with (1) PVR-150 and (2) A-180's.

Any ideas why I can not see the network encoder (pvr-150) on the client machine?

Thanks for any help.

Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)