SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

MediaMVP basic question

I don't have an MVP, but am thinking of getting one. I am currently using one computer to encode/decode, etc. If I get an MVP, will I still be using the same interface or does it have its own? If it has it's own, how does the guide and stuff work? If it uses Sage's, can I use STV's?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal24
I don't have an MVP, but am thinking of getting one. I am currently using one computer to encode/decode, etc. If I get an MVP, will I still be using the same interface or does it have its own? If it has it's own, how does the guide and stuff work? If it uses Sage's, can I use STV's?
The MVP interface is almost exactly the same as the PC's. The main difference is that you can't play DVDs (to the best of my knowledge) or Hi-Def content. I replaced my PC set top box about six months ago and haven't missed it a bit.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does imported video play correctly? How about channel skipping status bars? STV's?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Does imported video play correctly? How about channel skipping status bars? STV's?
I have never had a problem importing something that was in MPEG-2 format, but I have had some issues playing MPEG-1 videos. Unfortunately, I can't give you any feedback on transcoding non-MPEG videos (like WMV) for playback.

I assume you meant commercial skipping rather than channel skipping. I haven't used that either (I have FF2 set to 30 seconds and use that to skip commercial blocks).
Old 05-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
How about ... STV's?
Yes, you can load a custom STV -- SageTV server, client, placeshifter, mvp, and linux installations all use the same STV files.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just a warning - my MVP seems to have issues playing back 16:9 format MPEG2 on a 16:9 screen. It cuts the sides of the video off, and then plays just the 4:3 central section. I'm exploring this issue now.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I use the ComSkip import on my MVP and it works great.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Looking into getting one myself and I'm glad to hear that I can use custom STV's But can I also use STVi files as well?

I also hope that my AMD x2 4400+ can transcode my (H264) mp4 files without issues.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
Looking into getting one myself and I'm glad to hear that I can use custom STV's But can I also use STVi files as well?

I also hope that my AMD x2 4400+ can transcode my (H264) mp4 files without issues.
most stvis will work. The internet radio stream one comes to mind as not working.

B
Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

I'm a newb and so far I have gotten everything I wanted working. Dynamic menus, Commskip and the extras, thats all I have really liked so far. I tried SageMC but it just wasn't my thing. Swapping the backgrounds and custom menus was really my focus.

I think the MVP looks better PQ wise too, unless you have HD content. I have actually used my MVPs almost exclusively for a while.

If you have video that the MVP can't natively decode (MPEG4, Divx, Xvid...)the server must do it, this isn't pretty with more then a few MVPs on the network. My P4 3.2 HT takes about 25% CPU to transcode Divx for 1 MVP, so I might be able to run 3 off it. Using just MPEG2 however the server needs 1-2% CPU to stream it to the MVP no big deal at all.

You will need to learn how to manually edit the client file, you can't emulate a right mouse click (that I know of anyway) on the MVP so dynamic menus have to be created elsewhere and manually added into the client properties.

Once you have one you'll be seriously pissed you hadn't before, the remote mapping is awesome. Heck the IR between the remote and MVP work awesome as well, I don't have to really point it.

I have some problems with the volume of the digital audio though, works fine for TV but when you play a DVD it's twice the volume. Eventually I'll get it.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
You will need to learn how to manually edit the client file, you can't emulate a right mouse click (that I know of anyway)
I may be off-track here, but from memory isn't Yellow the same as right-click?
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Sage Icon

yes, it's the yellow button.