SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
Sage User

Sometimes Sage just doesn't record sound?

I have had a HTPC for about 3 years now. I had the sage trial version and it was flawless. About a month ago the trial version I had expired so I figured it was time to buy the real deal. I bought the new Sage software and downloaded it with no issues. Everything worked great.

Now, it intermittently records shows with no sound. Not always the same channel, and not always the same time or show. It is very random. I have set up a show for recording, caught it like 5 minutes into the show not recording any sound, so I hop over to watch live tv and no sound either. If I close Sage are reopen it, the sound comes back. It will be fine for a day, and then back again to recording some shows with sound and other with no sound.

I have an M-Audio card and 2 PVR 250 cards. I never had any issues with the trial version, but now the new version has the above described random sound issues.

I found a couple "dead" threads where people have mentioned this, but nobody seems to have the answer. Am I searching under the wrong forums or has someone encountered this issue and it's an easy fix?

Short of wiping the whole hard drive and reloading everything with new drivers, I'm not sure how to solve this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

I would start by saving one of those recordings with "no sound" and restart your computer and try to play that recording. This will determine if it is recording with "no sound" or just the playback has no sound. The reason I'm saying this is I noticed on my AOpen client workstations (both of them brand new exhibit this behavior) if I even slightly wiggle or slightly pull out the sound mini-jack and then push it back in I still get no sound on the playback unless I either restart the client or put the mini-jack in the front of the computer where there's another sound input.

Start by isolating if the problem is with playback or the actual recording.

Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Sage Icon

Try the "reload media player" trick - that's on the detailed setup screens.

It cures no-audio and slo-mo for me on the occasions that these happen with a particular recorded show. Odd, playing a different show works correctly, but the problem show won't play correctly until I reload media player. Restarting Sage doesn't fix it (!).
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Sage User

Ok, I updated div x, and I updated the latest verison of sage. Then I did a reload media player and so far so good. I had it record several parallel shows last night to ensure that i didn't have just one of my pvr cards acting up.

I didn't save any of the bad recordings, but if it does it again, I will give that a try to see if I can isolate it. That is a good tip, thanks.

I'm hoping that it was just a glitch and the new reload of Sage, the updated div x, and the reload media player continues to be the cure.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the ideas.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Sage User

so far so good.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Sage Icon

on mine, doing a reload media player enables the problem program to play correctly.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Sage User

Update: Since my above changes, not a single recording has recorded with no sound. As stated, I did have a jitter / stutter / choppy video recording. So I took the advice on the forums and downgraded my java from 1.5 to 1.4.

So far video quality is back to top notch. I'll only write back if it all goes to H in a hand basket, but so far so good.

In recap, here is what I did.
Updated latest version of sage
Updated div x
Downgraded Java