SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Sage Icon

Sage wont browse network for adding directories

I am working on a clean install here of everything, and everything between server and clients and placeshifter clients in working fine, but when I go to add an import directory in Sage (doesnt matter if its server gui or client gui) when up traverse up the diretory tree, and select "network" I get the rotating Sage icon for about 4 seconds, then a listing appears like:

A:
C:
D:
E:
Network

And it never allows me to get to selecting another computer name, cant find the workgroup name, nothing nada. The "Network" listed in the list above is NOT selectable. Nothing on the computer sharing all the files has changed, but thats obviously not the problem because I cant get Sage to actually see the network. Anyone have any ideas? All Sage installations are 5.0.4.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Sage Icon

And a follow up, if I mannually add the directories through the GUI, it says "directory does not exist, want to create it?".

If I manually edit the properties file, the changes do not appear. Added an entry in the seeker/archive_directory (which is where it went in 4.1.x) of "\\\\library\\import1,1;" and the change stayed in the file after a reboot, but couldnt find any files, and when using the GUI again to check the directory, it wasnt listed. I'm at a loss.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had that problem

If I remember correctly I had to create a user account with password instead of just a blank login screen. This gives you user rights to windows shares on external/networked drives.
Do a search in the forum thats where I foound out about it.
Dave
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 06-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

Well I checked all the machines, Sage server, client, and the remote library computer that has the import directories. The library didnt have a password setup, so I added it, and then all of a sudden Sage started to see the windows workgroup, and could navigate it. But why would that change on a storage computer do that? I'm thinking it didnt, just coincidence.

So now I can add directories all day long, and when I refresh imported media, I get zero files. ARGH!!!!! Doesnt do much good to have directories show up finally but no files seen.

*edit* nevermind. I must have hit the "localsystem(default)" button on the service control app by accident. Had it set for a user before, but somehow it got reset and obviously it has to be running as a user or you cant access the files! All peachy now!

Last edited by Kirby; 06-10-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby
Well I checked all the machines, Sage server, client, and the remote library computer that has the import directories. The library didnt have a password setup, so I added it, and then all of a sudden Sage started to see the windows workgroup, and could navigate it. But why would that change on a storage computer do that? I'm thinking it didnt, just coincidence.

So now I can add directories all day long, and when I refresh imported media, I get zero files. ARGH!!!!! Doesnt do much good to have directories show up finally but no files seen.

*edit* nevermind. I must have hit the "localsystem(default)" button on the service control app by accident. Had it set for a user before, but somehow it got reset and obviously it has to be running as a user or you cant access the files! All peachy now!
Everytime you install a Sage update (newversion/beta) it gets reset to localsystem. You always have to go back in and reset to a user name and password.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy Sage can't see network when importing

Hi All,
I have been using Sage for 2 yrs with few problems; I have accessed my remote import directories fine. After some changes I am trying to re-setup Import Directories and just as previous poster said all I get is a bunch of letters (drives) and "network". It won't go beyond that to my other pc where the videos are stored.
Tried everything mentioned here--even disabled Windows Firewall on both pc's, re-did Sage Service with password (it always had one), shut down service, restared service, etc.
I am running latest versions of Sage (5.04). I used to be able to see my other Sage box just fine when adding import directories.
I can see files on network and even play them on WMP. Is this a BUGGGGG!!!??

Thanks for any help.

Randy

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 08-18-2006, 12:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph
Hi All,
I have been using Sage for 2 yrs with few problems; I have accessed my remote import directories fine. After some changes I am trying to re-setup Import Directories and just as previous poster said all I get is a bunch of letters (drives) and "network". It won't go beyond that to my other pc where the videos are stored.
Tried everything mentioned here--even disabled Windows Firewall on both pc's, re-did Sage Service with password (it always had one), shut down service, restared service, etc.
I am running latest versions of Sage (5.04). I used to be able to see my other Sage box just fine when adding import directories.
I can see files on network and even play them on WMP. Is this a BUGGGGG!!!??

Thanks for any help.

Randy
Don't know if it is a bug or not because I have most of my import directories shared as hidden shares (share name ends with a $). So I have to use the Specify option for them anyway so I just use that. Have you tried to use Specify and just type in the complete UNC path name (\\server\sharename\directory)?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Don't know if it is a bug or not because I have most of my import directories shared as hidden shares (share name ends with a $). So I have to use the Specify option for them anyway so I just use that. Have you tried to use Specify and just type in the complete UNC path name (\\server\sharename\directory)?
Hi BobPhoenix,
Yes I tried that and as mentioned by others, it says "share does not exist, do you want to create it?"

I just tried going BACKWARDS from the other pc (import videos pc) and tried to set up Import video directory and IT WORKED FINE----can see my other pc and the workgroup, EVERYTHING. But, I still can not see my network from the main Sage box.

Really weird--used to work fine.

Randy

ps are you in Phoenix, AZ? I am in Chandler:

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph
Hi BobPhoenix,
Yes I tried that and as mentioned by others, it says "share does not exist, do you want to create it?"

I just tried going BACKWARDS from the other pc (import videos pc) and tried to set up Import video directory and IT WORKED FINE----can see my other pc and the workgroup, EVERYTHING. But, I still can not see my network from the main Sage box.

Really weird--used to work fine.

Randy

ps are you in Phoenix, AZ? I am in Chandler:
What you are describing is a permission issue. Are you running the SageTV service mode program? If so to access network drives the service must be setup with a userid and password (don't think it can be a blank password either but I could be wrong). That userid and password must be on the computer you are trying to connect to as well. That's the step that always bites me because I have a different userid and password for the SageTV service mode program. So I need that userid and password in addition to the one I login with to the server. I aways forget the extra userid and password and to have the service mode use it I believe the password cannot be blank. That is also what bites every time.

Now if you are just using SageTV in GUI mode then just your logon user is sufficient a blank password is probably acceptable here but I could be wrong.

And no I'm in Des Moines Iowa .
Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage Icon

Another key to the equation.... If you install Windows XP clean, I have had instances where the Adminsitrator account isnt accessible. There are fixes for it, but in many cases, I have installs come up as user 'Kirby' being setup as an administrator account, but not THE administrator account. I run my service as 'Adminstrator' which caused the same issues, which took a while to figure out and fix. In fact one of my client computers still hasnt been setup for the Administrator account, as a result that Sage client cannot browse the network for new directories.