SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Sage User

dvd playback from hard drive, onto client.. av710

setup:
opteron 146
via envy av710 soundcard
6800gs pcie
dfi ultra lan motherboard

This is my client machine. I am trying to get it up and running, with my server down in the basement. Some problems I'm having that hopefully someone knows about.

#1 I've put each DVD in its own VIDEO_TS folder, and can get the client to see the folder.jpg image, but there is a playback error. I don't believe I got this error on the server machine? I'm going to recheck all my video and audio settings, but I think I've already done this...

#2 I can play back the individual .vobs, if i can browse and find them. However, the volume is about 10% as loud as the regular sagetv recordings and music. anyone know why? I bought the av710 because people always seem to like it and its well supported (or so i thought), but its been frustrating for me.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Sage Icon

Have you considered converting your DVD's to mpeg4 files? Many have done that and I converted them where they look great and take about 250-300 megs/hour.

Mike
Old 06-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Sage User

hadn't thought of it honestly. What i do is take out all the filler of a dvd, opening screens, etc. The dvds usually go from 6-7gb down to 3-5gb. I have two 300gb drives to store my movies.

I suppose it is something I should look into. I don't know what the best conversion program is anymore. I'd prefer to keep them in 720x480 resolution, as I'm projecting them on a nice high def projector. Seems silly to down convert because the program won't play it correctly though, plus its lot of work just to be able to watch them. It was enough just ripping them all. anything better than xvid now?

thanks for the advice though.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Try using UNC paths for the DVD import directories. The client needs to see the DVDs directly in order to be able to play them, as far as I know.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Sage User

thanks opus, I'll try that tonight.

I think there are several problems here, each with a different solution. this might solve several of them though. i just started experimenting with a client this weekend.

thanks,
Old 06-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Sage User

ok, that was the problem, wrong path names. Now I can play them, but they are just in stereo, not surround sound. I'm only hooked up to optical. I think its probably a problem with the sound card and receiver. might be software related, i can't figure out ac3filter.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Sage User

well, i set everything to bypass in ac3filter.

then i went into windows media player, played a dvd, and went to the tools section, advanced and went into the options of the nvidia decoder/purevision. i set it in there to spdif out, and all is well finally.

oh, and i did have to delete the sound files in sagemc, there is another thread about it.

still can't get sage to understand up and down volume controls, the volume bar moves but the sound stays the same. mute does work. i'm pretty sure this is a problem with envy24 soundcard drivers, because i've heard others complain about it in other programs.

at least i have surround sound now.

thought i reply to myself since i finally got it working last night.