SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Issues: Linux Placeshifter

I'm running Linux Placeshifter in ubuntu 6.06 - It's quite nice with the exception of two issues - #1 - The Menus do not stay up - I can see them flash by and disappear when video is playing - #2 - There is not Always on top option I can find like Windows - even the native X On Top is greyed out.

Also, What do you find you need for optimal internet watching? I have a 3MB/256K pipe and I run about 175kbps on the broadcast - which yeilds a little poor quality - I can upgrade to 5MB/512K for a bit more . . .

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Sage User

Issues

I've also started having lock ups in the last two days - can't trace it to a specific system change - the system locks and the sounds keep stuttering . . .
Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Sage Icon

I just tested linux placeshifter on Unbutu 6.06, and I'm having the flickering menu problems also, it flashes on for a split second and then stays off. I have nvidia 6600GT and using the nvidia linux driver.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Sage User

Ditto with the flickering menus. My setup is Ubuntu 6.06, nvidia driver, 7600GT, Java 1.4.2_12.

Love the Linux support! Keep up the good work Sage!
Old 08-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

I am running the PlaceShifter on multipe Ubuntu 6.06.1 boxes and am proud to report no issues -- other than not getting much work done while watching tv ;-) -- no flickering, no lockups.

I am using Sun JRE/JDK 1.5.0_06, nv (FOSS) driver, Windows XP server.

I have a 5M/768k Road Runner and over the Internet (T1 on the other side) I get around 450k and the picture is OK (wish it were better). On the LAN, the quality is fine.

My observations:
- the fonts are screwed up until you install msttcorefonts
- anything other than 24 bpp and you get audio only, no video
- the placeshifter auto-detects the server on the network, but not the correct port (I changed mine from the default)
- it doesn't take much bandwidth to rock out to your .mp3 collection and that is probably worth the $30 right there.