SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Force recording to multiple drives

Can the property

forced_video_storage_path_prefix

point to more than one location for a single encoder? So when the location 1 fills up, the encoder will just end the file and create a new file and subsequent files over to location 2.

I know I could just see if Sage loads with it in, but I don't want to get to the end of a drive, only to find out it doesn't work.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
I was under the impression that sage is intuitive in knowing how much hard space is left on a drive... takes account the rules that you set up when you create the recording paths... will know whether or not a drive has enough space based upon the recording quality and how much space it will need...delete recordings starting from the oldest that are not archived...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOSG
Can the property

forced_video_storage_path_prefix

point to more than one location for a single encoder? So when the location 1 fills up, the encoder will just end the file and create a new file and subsequent files over to location 2.

I know I could just see if Sage loads with it in, but I don't want to get to the end of a drive, only to find out it doesn't work.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 06-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
I was under the impression that sage is intuitive in knowing how much hard space is left on a drive... takes account the rules that you set up when you create the recording paths... will know whether or not a drive has enough space based upon the recording quality and how much space it will need...delete recordings starting from the oldest that are not archived...
Good points, and 1 I hadn;t thoguht of. I forgot that the hardcoded storage using that property value, is still also governed by the settings made via the GUI

Only problems is that the recording quality calculation does not support HD as far as I have seen.

Also, as per my original question ;-) any idea if forced_video_storage_path_prefix supports more than 1 location for a specific encoder
Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOSG
Only problems is that the recording quality calculation does not support HD as far as I have seen.
The core is going to make its size estimates as needed to determine if there is enough room for a new recording. The disk space usage estimate display in some customizations is completely separate.

Quote:
any idea if forced_video_storage_path_prefix supports more than 1 location for a specific encoder
It will use any storage paths that start with the characters the property is set to.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
The core is going to make its size estimates as needed to determine if there is enough room for a new recording. The disk space usage estimate display in some customizations is completely separate.

It will use any storage paths that start with the characters the property is set to.

- Andy
Thank you
Old 06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

No go

Quote:

- Andy
OK, didn't work in the format:

mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=E\:\\;G\:\\

nor

mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=E\:\\;G\:\\;

both of which are allowed paths as per the GUI defined paths for all encoders to use.

The recording/playback fail to start with a playback error. Same type of error as when I specify a path using

mmc/encoders/12346/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=<path here>

but have not also added the <path here> to the GUI defined allowed paths

So, unless I am missing something, it does not seem possbile to use the forced_video_storage_path_prefix to tell a specific encoder that there are more than 1 path it is forced to record too.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I said it will use any path that starts with the characters that property contains -- meaning it simply takes those characters and sees if 1 or more existing recording paths start with that text. It doesn't check multiple semicolon-separated values against all the recording dirs. This would probably be most useful if you have multiple UNC paths used on the same network system.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, thank you.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Forced Directory Question

Just to clarify, is it possible to specify more than one directory for recording using this property?

If not, is it possible to specify that a specific directory not be recorded too? I have one directory I would like to reserve for HD material only.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

On my system I have the forced path set to ... and it matches ...

Hey Hope this helps ...

I have the following line ...

mmc/encoders/-1327961488/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=\\\\an72\\tv

which matches recording directories \\an72\tv1, \\an72\tv2, \\an72\tv3

and ignores recording directories \\an72\video1, \\an72\video2 and \\an72\video3

Bobby
Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfessor101
Hey Hope this helps ...

I have the following line ...

mmc/encoders/-1327961488/forced_video_storage_path_prefix=\\\\an72\\tv

which matches recording directories \\an72\tv1, \\an72\tv2, \\an72\tv3

and ignores recording directories \\an72\video1, \\an72\video2 and \\an72\video3

Bobby

Thanks for the reply. I apologize for my ignorance. I have 3 directories I would like to record to. They are mapped network drives. They are "m" "n" and "o"

How would I set this up?
Thanks!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

You would probably have to switch to UNC paths so that each recording dir that you want to include starts with the same few characters. As I mentioned in my post above, it will only match dirs starting with those chars, not a list of multiple locations.

- Andy
Old 11-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You would probably have to switch to UNC paths so that each recording dir that you want to include starts with the same few characters. As I mentioned in my post above, it will only match dirs starting with those charas, not a list of multiple locations.

- Andy
OK. Well I will show complete ignorance. What is a "UNC" path? Is it possible to convert existing mapped directory names to a "UNC" nominclature?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphjb
What is a "UNC" path? Is it possible to convert existing mapped directory names to a "UNC" nominclature?
UNC stands for Universal Naming Convention. It is a method of identifying a path on the network without using a mapped drive. It takes the format:

\\computer\sharename\path\filename.ext

where computer can be an IP address or name of the device. It is "universal" because it is the same from any machine on the network; it is not dependent on what letter a specific machine maps to that path. In fact, you don't need to have a mapped drive at all -- you just need access rights to the resource.

The \\computer\sharename prefix is the same value you'd see assigned to the mapped drive when do use mapped drives. To convert an existing mapped directory name to UNC you just swap out the x: for the appropriate \\computer\sharename combination. To see those, use menu Tools -> Disconnect Network Drives from My Computer or Explorer and you can see the current mappings and associated UNC paths.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Sage User

Is there an option to have SageTV record on different harddrives when each of my tuner cards are recording at the same time?
Sometimes I record 3 shows at once and since one of my harddrives has more space then the others it records there. So I am trying to record 3 shows and watch one show all from the same harddrive at once.
Would I need to use this forced_video_storage_path_prefix setting?