SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dish Receiver - 322 dual or ViP211 USB?

I'm switching from Comcast to Dish Network and need advice on which receiver to get. I've narrowed it down to either the 322 or the ViP211. The 322 is a dual which my wife would like, but it can only be controlled via an IR blaster (like my cable STB). The ViP211 is a single and has a USB port.

My questions are:

1. Can I use the USB port to change channels, either with a USB connected device or with a serial device using a USB-Serial adapter?

2. If I can change channels via the USB port, are there any configuration files that support the Dish ViP211.

I know that there is good support for DirectTV's serial connection so I'm hoping that there may be something out there for the Dish USB connection.

I'm very anxious to get a direct connected channel capability as my IR blaster method with Comcast has not been very stellar and my kids complain alot.

Thanks for any help.

Mark.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:50 AM

You don't want that 322 dual tuner ver you will not be able to controll the TV2 channel change with an IR Blaster becuase is not IR signal it UHF.
No you can't used USB port to change channels
Your best option is USB-UIRT if all ready one but if not then it smart idea to paid ext $5 w/additional 56KHz IR Sensor.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

If you can swing it, the R5000 modded 211 rocks. Complete USB control, records full stream straght from 211 via modded USB port.

http://www.nextcomwireless.com/R5000/home.htm
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
You don't want that 322 dual tuner ver you will not be able to controll the TV2 channel change with an IR Blaster becuase is not IR signal it UHF.
What's wrong with using TV1 for the DVR bit? Seems to me to be a non issue as far as I can tell, it's like the 311 or so in that you use IR control for TV1 and then RF for TV2 in the other room if you don't use Sage there.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thats kinda what I was wondering about. I know that with the USB-UIRT you can control two receivers with a splitter or something like that but I'm having a hard time imagining how that would work. I can see the advantage of having two Haupauge remotes for both tvs and using Sage to view the guide and change channels but with the DVR in one room and the other tv in another how would the remote work in the other room???? Can someone shed some light on how Sage works with tvs in different rooms?

As far as the Vip211 and the R5000 goes, wow thats a fair bit of change. I don't think I could talk the wife into spending that on my toys. But it sure would be nice if that usb port on the 211 could be used by a computer with Sage to change channels. I read somewhere that you can plug a usb keyboard into it and control the receiver. If that is true, how hard would it be to write a keyboard emulator that Sage controls? Can someone with a 211 verify that this may be possible?

Thanks,

Mark.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66
What's wrong with using TV1 for the DVR bit? Seems to me to be a non issue as far as I can tell, it's like the 311 or so in that you use IR control for TV1 and then RF for TV2 in the other room if you don't use Sage there.
The problem is how Sage can control both tuners inside one box. Using the USB-UIRT, Sage can control multiple STB's of the same model (2 of them, for dual tuner) but it can only control IR. As a result, the second tuner of the 322 CANNOT be controlled by anything other than the Dish RF remote.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 06-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Mark that would be nice but the USB on the Vip211 would have support it with in the receiver it self and a windows driver would have be writing for it in order for it to control the receiver and you and I both know that not going happing with dish receiver.
That USB port is for PocketDISH mobile player.

Thanks PGPfan that pettey much sum it all up.