SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up 1000 days of SageTV

Somehow, about a week ago, I noticed that June 25, 2006 marks my 1000th day of forum membership. I don't remember exactly what day I installed SageTV, but it wasn't too long after joining the forum, so I'll just count that.

I still have the 2 VCRs we were using before switching to SageTV & they occasionally get used for some kids movies we have on tape. But, I sure don't want to go back to using them for recording. Programming a dozen or so recordings between the VCRs to prevent conflicts, juggling tapes to make sure they didn't get filled up, and having to watch the recordings in the order they were recorded just seems so much longer ago than those 1000 days. I never quite got that web-enabled scheduling working with them, but our cat sitter would at least switch tapes for us when we went on vacation.

What? You never heard of a cat sitter? They'll come to your house daily to feed the cats, bring in the mail, etc. I've heard some will even do that for dogs. That all worked fine until one cat attacked the sitter every time & we had to find a cats-only kennel for that one. Anyway...

We've certainly enjoyed the TV freedom that SageTV gives us. There were a few good things that we ran into via live TV channel flipping in those pre-SageTV days, but I much prefer how we handle that now -- make a point of completely ignoring live TV and let the Intelligent Recording feature catch some new shows for us. (OK, so we also added a few favorites before they ever aired.) Just setting our Favorites & letting IR do its thing lets us practically ignore any TV airing schedules.

One side effect is that my kids don't seem to understand the concept of non-recorded TV. Even after we explained it to them while visiting their grandparents, they just gave us that blank expression as if we had been speaking another language & asked if we would FF through the commercials anyway.

I suppose I'll stop rambling and just say that I'm glad I ran into SageTV back then & decided to try it out -- it has been a great product for us.

Now to go choose what to watch now.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Somehow, about a week ago, I noticed that June 25, 2006 marks my 1000th day of forum membership. I don't remember exactly what day I installed SageTV, but it wasn't too long after joining the forum, so I'll just count that.
Congrats Andy!

Quote:
One side effect is that my kids don't seem to understand the concept of non-recorded TV. Even after we explained it to them while visiting their grandparents, they just gave us that blank expression as if we had been speaking another language & asked if we would FF through the commercials anyway.
You're raising those kids right! You've just got to get the grandparents on board with the "right" way of thinking!

Recorded TV: Good for almost everything!
Delayed TV: Good for sporting events!
Live TV: Good for nothing!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham
You're raising those kids right! You've just got to get the grandparents on board with the "right" way of thinking!
We're working on it... at least they have broadband now, so we can run the Placeshifter while visiting.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Congrats Andy!

Recorded TV: Good for almost everything!
Delayed TV: Good for sporting events!
Live TV: Good for nothing!
I don't know about Live TV.. I am sure enjoying watching England beating Ecuador in HD live..
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Somehow, about a week ago, I noticed that June 25, 2006 marks my 1000th day of forum membership.
Something doesn't seem right about that, I just checked and I registered 1100+ days ago

And I just checked and teh oldest info in my wiz.bin (using Malore's viewing history) is from 844 days ago
Old 06-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Something doesn't seem right about that, I just checked and I registered 1100+ days ago
Time sure does fly, doesn't it!? (And, I'm under no delusion that I've been here anywhere near the longest! )

Quote:
And I just checked and teh oldest info in my wiz.bin (using Malore's viewing history) is from 844 days ago
OK, now you made me look that up... I have an episode from Oct 4, 2003, so that one is from 995 days ago. I guess I really am still using my original wiz.bin.

Do I really need to say what the show is?? OK, OK, the show is The Flying Nun... but I really don't remember ever having watched it.

- Andy
Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Administrator

BTW: I don't know what anyone else is using, but a google search found a site that I used to Calculate duration between two dates and Add to or subtract from a date.

- Andy
Old 06-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator

I tried to resist posting too much fluff
Administrator

But if it takes a bit of useless stuff
Administrator

I'll resort to pulling a Burma Shave
Administrator

For 9000 posts in 1000 days

Sorry folks, but after getting that close, I just had to finish it off before the day ended here.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussions...

- Andy
Old 06-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Sage Icon

Congrats Opus! Too bad there is no moderator around to delete the post flood

If anyone deserves to pull a Burma Shave it is most definitely you.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 AM
Sage Icon

1000 days and 9000 posts, thats a lot of posts. You are definitely one of the most valuable and resourceful member on this forum. Thanks for all the work you've done, keep up the good work for the next 1000th.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:13 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins
I don't know about Live TV.. I am sure enjoying watching England beating Ecuador in HD live..
Which is just the type of thing that delayed watching is for. Start the recording and go get lunch, bring the kids to their game, do laundry, or whatever. Then an hour or so into the game you start watching it, skip through all the commercials, timeouts, announcers babbling incessantly about nothing, etc. Then if you timed it right, you finish watching the game just as it's ending and you haven't wasted an hour watching commercials, etc.

Another thing I'll do in those kind of situations is watch 2 things at once. Every time I catch up to "Live" in a game I'll switch over to watching something else for 15-20 minutes, which is just enough time to watch a sitcom episode, then switch back to the game until I catch back up to live.

I don't watch soccer, but in "real" football a 30 second skip is just about perfect for the time between downing the ball and the start of the next play.

Opus4,

You must have started out pretty slowly posting. An average of 9 posts per day (1000 days, 9000 posts) seems way low for your current level of activity. That is, when you're not "Burma Shaving" us to hit that 9k level.

As has been said many times by many people you are a great resource for everyone here on the Sage Forums. Congrats again on over 1000 days, and 9000 posts, only a few which were "fluff".
Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Too bad there is no moderator around to delete the post flood
Don't worry -- I sent myself a PM asking me to be a little more careful about that.

Quote:
You must have started out pretty slowly posting.
Hey - I started out just as semi-clueless as most others... and then I got addicted.

- Andy
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Sage Icon

I'm at 1023 days today, and I just realized SageTV is the ONLY app that I was using then that i'm still using now. Since then, i've gone through using and/or trying out pretty much every non-TV HTPC app there is.

But on the TV side? Never even bothered looking - if it works, and it keeps getting better faster than I can keep up, don't muck with it.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

I feel so inadequate, only 656 days here, and only .58 posts per day. I had a sattelite DVR way back in 2001 though, doesn't that count? If so, I'd be at around 1950 days of non VCR use. And to think I first recorded video onto my Pentium II 233 way back in 1999, but I needed a VCR to do it. HA, how far we have come. That would have been about 2500 days ago, now I feel inadequate and old.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Congrats on the 1000 days!

I'm only at around 450 days of uptime myself.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Sage Icon

1198 Days here... You have me beat to heck on # of posts, though.

Jason Bottjen
Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
1198 Days here...
Heh, well the first person to join only has about 1237 days, so you're pretty close to that. Wait a minute... I got 1218 days for you so far. I think you sold yourself short.

- Andy