SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Sage User

Question Transcoder performance

I have been trying to get my MVP to play transcoded live HDTV and can't seem to get rid of stuttering. Regular video works fine.

System:
Running Sage V5.0.4 on Windows MCE
Network is GbE, working well with a SageClient in hi def mode.
CPU is an Athlon X2 4200 + 1GB
NTSC video source is Nvidia DualTV
ATSC source is 2X VBOX 950

As soon as I tune in a digital channel through the MVP, a transcoder process starts up and eats 50% of the available CPU time (1 full CPU !!!!) but the video output is jerky, as if it was missing 1/2 of the frames. Audio is hopelessly out of sync.

I was following this thread: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18517 about sage transcoder properties, so I tried to edit the DVD transcoder entry, reducing the kb/s from 4000 to 2000 in the command line, to no avail. After running Sage with the new property file, then closing Sage, I find that my edit was restored to 4000 !?!?

I also created another entry, called it MVP:
Quote:
media_server/transcode_quality/MVP=-f dvd -b 1000 -s 360x240 -acodec mp2 -ab 128
and referred to it:
Quote:
miniclient/transcode_mode=MVP
Interestingly enough, these properties survived through a sage boot, but to no avail. When running procexp and looking at the command line for the transcoder, it seems to always have -b 4000 in it, whatever I do.

So, I have a bunch of questions:
- Am I missing something stupid ? most probably....
- Why does transcoding use up 1/2 of my Athlon X2 ? I am perfectly willing to live with lower quality video than 4000kb/s, so I hope that by reducing it I can get it to work....
- How do I pass command line arguments to the transcoder process ?
- Can I run it on a different computer, like a network transcoder ? I have a P4 3.2GHz on the same network that I could press into part-time service....

Thanks a lot !!!
Stefano
Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano540
- Can I run it on a different computer, like a network transcoder ? I have a P4 3.2GHz on the same network that I could press into part-time service....
While I can't help with the other questions, I've asked this same question several times and never gotten a response. I'd love to basically have a 2nd machine running Sage server, basically as a MVP server. Keep the transcoding & all the other MVP activity seperate from my main server.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
I've asked this same question several times and never gotten a response.
I thought this was answered somewhere recently... anyway: only the server can act as a Placseshifter/Extender server; clients do not have that capability.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Sage User

I actually solved my problem by "scrounging" here and there:
- managed to figure out what was wrong with the properties file and settled on "-b 1500 -s 640x480" instead of "-b 4000 -s 720x480". Not perfect, but I am watching the MVP on a 13" tv, so it looks fine, with slightly pixelated transitions from scene to scene.
- slightly overclocked the CPU by 5%, to get some headroom.
Now the transcode process eats 38-45% of total CPU time on movie material.

I am still astonished at the amount of processing time required on a pretty fast CPU, Athlon 64 X2 4200.....
Stefano
Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I actually solved my problem by "scrounging" here and there:
- managed to figure out what was wrong with the properties file and settled on "-b 1500 -s 640x480" instead of "-b 4000 -s 720x480". Not perfect, but I am watching the MVP on a 13" tv, so it looks fine, with slightly pixelated transitions from scene to scene.
- slightly overclocked the CPU by 5%, to get some headroom.
Now the transcode process eats 38-45% of total CPU time on movie material.

I am still astonished at the amount of processing time required on a pretty fast CPU, Athlon 64 X2 4200.....
Stefano
...all that means is that you now have an excuse to UPGRADE! "But honey...see all that stutterding? I need a new system!"