SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Sage User

HDTV Tuner Card

I've just finished my HTPC and Sage is working great thus far. I'm interested in adding an HD TV Tuner Card so I can receive and record OTA HD Signals. I've looked around and have seen a wide range of card prices. Some like the Avermedia A180 and the Air2PC card go for 40-60 bucks or so on Ebay. Others like the Vbox Cat's Eye and the Dvico Fusion are more like $100-115.

I'm just wondering if there is really that a difference in these cards? Is it worth spending the extra 50 to get one of the more expensive cards?

Also does anyone have any suggestions on which card to get/which works well with Sage? The 4 mentioned above seemed to be the ones I've seen for sale lately. Any input would be great. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
SageTVaholic

A lot of people have had good luck with the Vbox cards and the A180. I have a fusionlite 5 that I like although it isn't the most popular. Quality wise, all the cards do is pull the Mpeg2 stream from the air so the image quality should be the same. If cost is an issue, I would shoot for the A180 as it appears to be considerably cheaper.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Sage Aficionado

The A180 is a fine card provided your hardware is compatible. In other words there's a reason it's so cheap on Ebay, SATA problems if you're unlucky enough to have the wrong controller will end up causing hesitation and other issues. Lots of info on the avs forum about it. Apparently there's little incentive to fix the problem as it's widespread and has been around for quite some time.

The Vbox of course may sell for over $100 on Ebay, but don't pay that. You can get it cheaper from places like pcalchemy or just about any place that sells it. Ebay is nortorious for overpriced items if you're not watching. I've sold things there that 4 years after I bought it brought the same price as I paid for it and the people seem to be happy about it.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:22 AM
Sage User

Yeah I have seen the VBox for less...more like 89+Shipping. Only problem with that card is that it's low profile. Everyone I've seen selling Vbox sells the DTA 150 which is the low profile version of the card. The full height version is the DTA 151 which I haven't seen anywhere. There isn't a way to get the low profile card to fit in my full height case is there?

Depending on the answer to the question above I might just go with the A180 but I'll have to read up at ASV first. Let me know...thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilich
Yeah I have seen the VBox for less...more like 89+Shipping. Only problem with that card is that it's low profile. Everyone I've seen selling Vbox sells the DTA 150 which is the low profile version of the card. The full height version is the DTA 151 which I haven't seen anywhere. There isn't a way to get the low profile card to fit in my full height case is there?

Depending on the answer to the question above I might just go with the A180 but I'll have to read up at ASV first. Let me know...thanks
There are low profile AND a full height DTA-150 cards. I have both a DTA-151 and a DTA-150 full height and they both work great.
But do not install the latest drivers or you will have problems if you want to install 2 cards (or another HD card).
Look around, you will find my posts about the drivers.

-jeff
Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
I think there's more difference to the 150/151 cards than height. I think the 151 does both analog and digital whereas the 150 only does digital.
Now that I'm looking around, I'm having a hard time finding a 151 at a good price. vBoxcomm.com doesn't even have it under products. Discontinued?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Sage User

Yeah there are other differences. The analog for one like you mentioned is different.

jhendrix--

What you're saying is that the 150 comes with a full height bracket so it can be installed without a problem? And when you say running 2 cards do you mean two HD cards or just two TV Capture cards because I already have a Hauppauge PVR150 running.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have a DTA 150 and the PVR150 in my system, works fine. The DTA150 is a normal card that will install in any regular computer like you have, don't worry about it.

From what I've read no HD card seems to record SD very well, so going seperate is probably best.