SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Having Trouble Moving Recordings

I'm trying to physically move recordings from my recording computer, which is running Sage Server, to a file server whose drives are valid Media Center Import directories.

The procedure a friend told me he is having success with is, to exit Sage Server, cut the file from the directory the recording file is in, and paste into the import directory. He claims to have 100% success using this method. I tried it yesterday and it worked flawlessly for my transfer of about 9 recordings. The recording would show up as an Archived Recording in the Media Center. All the program information went with the file transfer, and if I looked at details, it would correctly show the path of the new directory, which is a valid import directory.

I forgot to mention that I'm using Sage Server v5.04 and the transfers were made no where near the time the EPG would update. Today I tried the same exact procedure, however when I look in the Archived Recordings, the recording is not there. My only option is to move it back to its original directory and then it shows as a Sage TV Recording.

I'm stumped. Nothing has changed, and I'm unable to transfer files from one computer to another. I've read the FAQs and scanned the threads, but can't seem to come up with a solution.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator

I can't remember all the situations when such a move might not result in recognizing the recording... have you tried setting this property before restarting SageTV: seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=false?

Also, you said you exited the server... if using service mode, did you also stop the service?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I can't remember all the situations when such a move might not result in recognizing the recording... have you tried setting this property before restarting SageTV: seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off=false?

Also, you said you exited the server... if using service mode, did you also stop the service?

- Andy
Andy:
I'm not using service mode on my Sage Server. I just checked the properties file and the seeker line you refer to is set to "true". However, I have a recording in progress, so will have to wait for it to complete, so that I can shut down the server, change the property line, and give it a whirl.

I'll report back later.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 06-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

- Andy
Okay, with Sage Server off, I changed that line in properties to "false", moved a file, started up Sage Server again, and it still won't show up. I did a refresh imports before checking my archive list.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Administrator

You could turn on debug logging & send the results to SageTV if it doesn't see the file as a recording after moving it. It has been a while since I've messed with moving files like this, so I don't remember if there are still any issues with it.

Is it a Favorite? If not, see what happens if you make it a favorite, at least temporarily -- you can always remove the favorite later.

When it isn't recognized as a recording, do you see it among the imported videos?

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Andy, this is getting to be bizarre. I left the house for a few hours after reporting the the file movement didn't work. However, I did not move it back to its original directory. Now I read your response, above, went to check my archive directory, and it's now showing up. Any idea why it takes a while for it to show up? I had done a refresh initially right after transferring.

So, now I'll try to transfer some more files and perhaps have to wait a bit for Sage to recognize them.

Ron
Old 06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Are you sure you were exiting SageTV? It sounds like you might have been putting it to sleep in the system tray instead, because I thought it would have found its own recordings at startup.

- Andy
Old 06-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Are you sure you were exiting SageTV? It sounds like you might have been putting it to sleep in the system tray instead, because I thought it would have found its own recordings at startup.

- Andy
I am definitely exiting Sage. X at top right corner. I'll try Exit from the System tray the next time.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

If SageTV is set to sleep when you close the window instead of exit, clicking that X only puts it to sleep. See the option in Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Action to take when SageTV Window is closed.

- Andy
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If SageTV is set to sleep when you close the window instead of exit, clicking that X only puts it to sleep. See the option in Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Action to take when SageTV Window is closed.

- Andy
It's set to Exit Sage TV.

I just transferred 3 more files and they are not showing up yet in the archive directory. And in response to your earlier question, they don't show up as imports, either. I'll check back later, and hopefully, they'll show up.

This is certainly strange. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong.

Ron
Old 07-01-2006, 07:50 AM
SageTVaholic

A media library refresh can take some time: Sage as to walk through every folder in the video, picture and music lib dirs to see if there are new files...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
A media library refresh can take some time: Sage as to walk through every folder in the video, picture and music lib dirs to see if there are new files...
I'm concluding that that is the issue. I've found that the transferred files eventually find their way over to the archive directory. So maybe I don't have any issues, after all, and it's just a matter of waiting for Sage to complete its refresh.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Happy to report that all my transfers are moving fine and showing up in the Archive Directory, once moved from the recording directory to the import directory. The problem, as Nielm correctly pointed out, was the time it takes to complete the refresh. I have 11 large drives on my import server, so I can understand that the refresh operation can take a bit of time.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.