SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Difference between a recording and the buffer?

Sorry for all my Qs lately

What exactly is the difference between a (scheduled) recording and the buffer that SageTV builds up whil watching 'live TV'??
Everything seems to remain on the harddisk anyway?

For instance, right now, I was watching a show, but I also scheduled a recording of a show that followed this. On top of that I kept watching what was being recorded.
In that case, is there a difference between the buffer and my scheduled recording? And what happens to the buffer containing the show I was watching before this?

I am trying to understand what happens, I was used to using Showshifter which is/was very limited compared to Sage. LIve TV was just that, when I wanted to timeshift, I needed to hit pause and then it started recording. I could not do anything else in the meantim because that would stop SS from recording. I also could not watch a Divx or DVD while recording a channel, I had to keep watching what was being recorded or do something else.

SageTV seems so much more flexible, but in the meantime, a bit confusing
Oh and I have 2 tuners in my system, does that complicated things?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
Sorry for all my Qs lately

What exactly is the difference between a (scheduled) recording and the buffer that SageTV builds up whil watching 'live TV'??
Everything seems to remain on the harddisk anyway?
Basically nothing but the priority by which they are deleted. LiveTV files have the highest deletion priority. Depending on how you have Sage setup (IR off or on) they will either be deleted shortly after being "done", or not until space is needed respectively.

Quote:
For instance, right now, I was watching a show, but I also scheduled a recording of a show that followed this. On top of that I kept watching what was being recorded.
In that case, is there a difference between the buffer and my scheduled recording?
The LiveTV file will have a "LiveTV" delete priority, and the scheduled recording will have a Manual Record delete priority (basically, don't delete).

Quote:
And what happens to the buffer containing the show I was watching before this?
It will be deleted when space is needed. The important distinction with Sage is that it doesn't use a buffer like most/all other PVR apps, it records every show you watch, and uses it's intelligence to figure out when to delete files created watching LiveTV.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think I am getting it now

I also have to get used to this EPG thing. Never worked with that before.
It changes the way to watch TV, I guess.
I just went through the EPG and noticed the quarter finales worldcup soccer were on. I clicked on it expecting to have missed the first 15 minutes, but instead, it showed me the game from the first second because it had recorded it (by accident but nonetheless )
Old 06-30-2006, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc
It changes the way to watch TV, I guess.
Massively: I never watch live TV any more apart from news, and let Sage record all my favourites without even knowing when they are scheduled (I do pad my favourites a lot to make sure minor schedule changes are caught!)...
I also check the intelligent suggestions every so often to see if Sage has found any interesting stuff that is not a favourite (it will take a while to learn whats interesting -- it uses your watching history!)