SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Sage Icon

New Wireless MVP vs. Old MVP with Bridge

Anyone know if buying an ethernet wireless to wired bridge would work just as well as buying a new wireless MVP?

I've got an MVP lying around and buying a $60 bridge is a lot cheaper than a $160 new wirelss MVP.

thanks,

Stacy
Old 07-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Sage User

I use a wireless bridge without an issue (802.11g).
Old 07-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Sage User

I have both wireless and wired MVP's. I have found it much better to use a wired MVP and a bridge. It's also cheaper! I picked up 4 CompUSA G AP's for $15 each. (They are no longer on sale but are only $30 now).

I like the idea of separate wireless devices since they can easily be replaced with N's in the near future.

Dan
Old 07-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I have a G router in my basement and a wired MVP with wireless bridge 2 floors above and it works flawlessly. However, I have a wireless MVP only 1 floor up and I've only gotten it to boot into Sage twice. Once I get it to boot, it works fine until it's shut off, or I use my microwave. Then it takes a miracle to get it back (and that's with the latest mvp.bin file).

- Josh

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbullock
I have both wireless and wired MVP's. I have found it much better to use a wired MVP and a bridge. It's also cheaper! I picked up 4 CompUSA G AP's for $15 each. (They are no longer on sale but are only $30 now).

I like the idea of separate wireless devices since they can easily be replaced with N's in the near future.

Dan
I was at a conference last week - speaker was IEEE 802 task chairman. Said schedule as of now is to publish 802.11N in late 2007. Those pre-N products have jumped the gun a bit.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by walts81
Yes, I have a G router in my basement and a wired MVP with wireless bridge 2 floors above and it works flawlessly. However, I have a wireless MVP only 1 floor up and I've only gotten it to boot into Sage twice. Once I get it to boot, it works fine until it's shut off, or I use my microwave. Then it takes a miracle to get it back (and that's with the latest mvp.bin file).

- Josh
With a bridge you can also, on many, use a directional antenna with gain.

Doggone microwave oven, if it has a leaky door gasket (yikes) will throw RF all over the 2.4GHz band modulated by 60Hz. If you arrange for a strong signal (like -75 or better (less negative, closer to 0), the oven's interference will lessen. You can also try using a different channel (on the Router), from 1, 6 or 11 in the US.

As you probably know, most any cheap W-Router can be configured as a bridge.