SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Sage Expert

placeshifter first time connection issues

I am getting the folowing message (attached) when trying to connect to my SageTV machine using a local IP. The information given is rather generic as you can see. Under detailed setup SageTV Server has been enabled and the computer has been rebooted. What now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg placeshifter connection error.JPG (50.9 KB, 388 views)
Old 07-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I am getting the folowing message (attached) when trying to connect to my SageTV machine using a local IP. The information given is rather generic as you can see. Under detailed setup SageTV Server has been enabled and the computer has been rebooted. What now?
You may be blocking that port on either the Sage server or the client running placeshifter.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
You may be blocking that port on either the Sage server or the client running placeshifter.
I'm not blocking any port at all internally. I have no firewall running at all internally and for good measure both 31100 31099 TCP ports are both listed as open on my router. Is there anything else other than starting the SageTV service in detailed setup that needs to be done?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I'm not blocking any port at all internally. I have no firewall running at all internally and for good measure both 31100 31099 TCP ports are both listed as open on my router. Is there anything else other than starting the SageTV service in detailed setup that needs to be done?
Forgive me if this is stupid, but did you enable the Placeshifter server itself?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Forgive me if this is stupid, but did you enable the Placeshifter server itself?
not stupid at all. There are no instructions with the download. I understand placeshifter to be used in place of SageTV client for travel in order to manage limited bandwidth. My only understanding of how to set it up is to:
1) open firewall between placeshifter and SageTV Media Center
2) enable SageTV service to start in the 'detailed setup' part of SageTV Media Center
3) click on the placeshifter and attempt to connect to ip of computer running SageTV Media Center

Upon attempting that connection is where I recieve the error.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
not stupid at all. There are no instructions with the download. I understand placeshifter to be used in place of SageTV client for travel in order to manage limited bandwidth. My only understanding of how to set it up is to:
1) open firewall between placeshifter and SageTV Media Center
2) enable SageTV service to start in the 'detailed setup' part of SageTV Media Center
3) click on the placeshifter and attempt to connect to ip of computer running SageTV Media Center

Upon attempting that connection is where I recieve the error.
Have a look at the SageTV PDF manual, Appendix N describes the placeshifter configuration in detail ...

Dirk
Old 07-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Have a look at the SageTV PDF manual, Appendix N describes the placeshifter configuration in detail ...

Dirk
I have completely lost those options after switching to SageMC and going back to main STV does not give the back to me. The only option is to enable SageTV server but none of the placeshifter options exist.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have completely lost those options after switching to SageMC and going back to main STV does not give the back to me. The only option is to enable SageTV server but none of the placeshifter options exist.
Make sure you go back and use SageTV3.xml and NOT SageTV3.stv. SageMC has not been updated to use the new settings for Placeshifter and such.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
That would be it. Try going back to the original STV just long enough to enable the place shifter.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
That would be it. Try going back to the original STV just long enough to enable the place shifter.
I have but I have lost the options. Do you have a copy of the correct xml or stv that I need to revert to. I'll try your original as opposed to mine and see what that does?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Sage Icon

You should still have the correct SageTV3.xml file that you need. The problem is that you were using SageMC, and it didn't have the placeshifter settings. So you reverted back to SageTV3.stv, not SageTV3.xml. SageMC only sees .stv files and not .xml files, so you could not load the proper file.

YOu have 2 options to get the SageTV3.xml loaded. One way is to shut down Sage and edit the sage.properties or sageclient.properties file to have sage use sagetv3.xml. Another, easier way is to make a copy the SageTV3.xml file and name it something like SageTV3reset.stv. By changing the .xml extension to .stv, SageMC and the older .stv files will see it and let you access the newer .xml file even though it has a .stv extension.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
SageMC only sees .stv files and not .xml files, so you could not load the proper file.
Just to clarify: SageMC only sees .xml files, unless you use the (ancient) version SageMC_169.stv from the old base install. The same thing actually happens if you load the old SageTV3.stv ...

Dirk
Old 07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Just to clarify: SageMC only sees .xml files, unless you use the (ancient) version SageMC_169.stv from the old base install. The same thing actually happens if you load the old SageTV3.stv ...

Dirk
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I only have SageMC_169.stv installed and tested that it only saw .stv before I posted. I didn't realize that your SageMC addon imports fixed that. I never tried your addon since I didn't care for SageMC, maybe I'll have to see if I like your addons.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
I never tried your addon since I didn't care for SageMC, maybe I'll have to see if I like your addons.
Yeah, you should definetly give it a try ...

Dirk