SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Sage User

Trial problems with my HTPC

Hey everyone. I'm trying out the 5.0 version and I'm run into a few snags.

1. DVD and .vob volume levels.
They are very low compared to music and even .avi or .mpeg files. Sometimes there is no volume at all. I've tried various setups with the decodes and things. Any suggestions?

2. Anime .vob language tracks.
I have my 26 volume RahXephon collection on the HDD. Ripped with DVD Decryptor with only the English sound track. Here is the weird part, they are now playing with the Japanese soundtrack! How? How could that happen? It's never happened before?

3. Stuck in TV mode?
I can't get the computer monitor to come on now. Everything in the Nvida settings is for "auto detect" as far as monitor source goes. Any ideas?

HTPC Specs:
Case: Antec MSK2400 w/PSU: SU380 PSU 380 Watt
Mobo: MSI K8NGM2-FID
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200
HDD: 2 x Samsung 250GB SATA 2.0
Optical: Samsung 16X DVD+/-RW Super Multi Drive with 5X DVD-RAM
Memory: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC 3200)
HD Tuner: VBox Cat's Eye DTA 150 (Not installed yet)
SD Tuner: ATi TV Wonder Pro (Temporary until I get the new card)
Keyboard/Mouse: XGene 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard with 800dpi Optical Trackball
WiFi: TBD
HDTV Antenna: Zenith ZHDTV1 Silver Sensor HDTV Indoor UHF Antenna

CODECs:
NVidia PureVideo Trial
AC3 Filter
FFD Show
ReClock
Divx
Old 07-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Sage User

OK. I've worked out the sound problems for imported media files. Now I just have to figure out how to get the RahXephon files back into English language. I haven't tried hooking up to a regualr monitor again yet. I'll just leave it on the TV. The text is a bit hard to read but I'm hanging in there.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Hey everyone. I'm trying out the 5.0 version and I'm run into a few snags.

1. DVD and .vob volume levels.
They are very low compared to music and even .avi or .mpeg files. Sometimes there is no volume at all. I've tried various setups with the decodes and things. Any suggestions?
DVDs, in general, have much higher dynamic range than most other media (unfortunately most other media isn't made with sound quality in mind ). The result is that it's not uncommon for the audio level to be different.

Glad you got it sorted out though because I don't have any suggestions. I'm sure others would appreciate it if you shared your solution

Quote:
2. Anime .vob language tracks.
I have my 26 volume RahXephon collection on the HDD. Ripped with DVD Decryptor with only the English sound track. Here is the weird part, they are now playing with the Japanese soundtrack! How? How could that happen? It's never happened before?
Sorry, but you're going to get my dissertation (or rules ) on ripping DVDs.

First, always rip in "file" mode and be sure to retain the full DVD structure, that means VOB, IFO files and VIDEO_TS folder. Store each DVD in it's own folder.

Second, (asside from DVD Shrink) always rip the entire DVD, never remove audio tracks or otherwise change the disc. DVD Decryptor (et all) in my experience are incapable of doing it correctly, and you'll end up with rips that don't work right. So in DVD Decrypter, use File Mode and rip all files.

Third, ripping the movie only (or removing audio tracks) is a great way to save space (IMO the best way ). There are two ways I know of that work, DVD Shrink and IFO Edit. I haven't run into any trouble with DVD Shrink so IMO, that's the way to go. DVD Shrink is the app to use if you don't want the whole DVD.

Those steps have served me well for almost 300 DVDs (Not quite there yet).

As for your problem I don't know what you did in DVD Decrypter (remember I said it doesn't work right for stuff like that ), I'd suggest either ripping them again with DVD Shrink, or oppening the existing rips with DVD Shrink and reauthoring them. Sounds like perhaps you only changed the default audio track with Decrypter, probably didn't remove anything.

Oh, and don't add .VOB to your properties file, Sage will detect properly structured DVDs by default.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Sage User

Thanks. I'll look into that and I'll check to see what my settings are currently for audio. But I do know that I had to go into the sound control properties and increase the volume level on one of the slides. I also removed the "Synth" slider under Playback properties.

As for the RahXephon files, I ripped them for conversion to the PSP and I know that I unchecked all of that stuff under "Streaming". They have been playing in English, and still do, on every media player that I have. They only play in Japanese in Sage. My video workstation is done at the moment (think I need a new mobo) but I'll look into the DVD Shrink software. I think I have it stored somewhere around here.

I'll get back to you about the settings. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
...I unchecked all of that stuff under "Streaming".
AFAIK, Stream Processing doesn't work right in DVD Decrypter.