SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Sage User

Updating XML Channel Guide through other computer?

Hey guys i've been having a problem with my sagetv server connecting to the internet because of terrible wireless connection. Is there anyway that i can download the program list and manually update the XML(think that's what it's called) channel guide thing? I really need help w/ this as i don't have the "no data" channels because of no updates.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastb0isct
Is there anyway that i can download the program list and manually update the XML(think that's what it's called) channel guide thing?
If you are using the guide data provided by SageTV or TVTV then I don't think there is a way to download these data on another PC and use it on your "offline" SageTV Server.

However, you can switch to XMLTV to do this, basically you'll have to use Zap2it data (if you're in the US) and download an XMLTV file corresponding to the channels your receive (with the help of an XMLTV grabber).

Then you'll have to choose an XMLTV Import plugin for SageTV that you will install on your SageTV Server and will use the XMLTV file you downloaded.

You can use if you want my XMLTV Importer (see sig), it will let you set it up as you want (easily I hope) :

1) Install the XMLTV Importer and XMLTV grabber on your "online" PC. On this PC, data will be downloaded and transformed into a set of XML files usable by SageTV
2) Install the XMLTV Importer on the SageTV server (you'll not use it though, but only the plugin it install to load data). And configure SageTV to use the XMLTV lineup produced in 1), after that every 24hours SageTV will load the XML files produced in 1)

You'll have the choice to either produce XML files used by SageTV on the SageTV Server from your online PC, or make your SageTV server search for produced XML files on your online PC. The first one is the way to go, it's less risky and much easier to setup :

On the online PC in the XMLTV Importer (non wizard mode), you'll see a "SageTV directory" field, just point it to the SageTV directory on your SageTV Server and that's it.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Sage User

I can't get the XMLTV importer to install. It says that i need a newer version of the .net but i got the newest. Are there any other alternatives guys?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I can't get the XMLTV importer to install. It says that i need a newer version of the .net but i got the newest.
You'll have to install .Net Framework 1.1 (I suppose you installed .Net Framework 2.0).

.Net is not like Java, you can install all versions : this is supposed to reduce incompatibility.

However, I would recommend you to : uninstall 2.0, then install 1.1 and re-install 2.0.

Allthough the use of my Importer is much simpler in your situtation, you can use any other XMLTV Import plugin (you'll have to use scripts to copy the XMLTV file from your online PC to your SageTV PC)

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Sage User

Yea, i've never used XMLtv, can you explain where to get the guides? I searched google and couldn't find anywhere. Do i download a file and then all the channel data is on that file? How does it work? Im at work now so i'll try installing 1.1 when i get home. Do you know of a way to share the wireless internet through my hardline connection? Or would that be too much of a hassle for what it's worth? Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Sage User

where are you? for the uk and us my xmltv grabber will help http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv
for other contries try the command line xmltv from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=39046
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
can you explain where to get the guides? I searched google and couldn't find anywhere.
You'll find here all links and "how to" for XMLTV Import into SageTV.
Quote:
Do i download a file and then all the channel data is on that file? How does it work?
You first download a grabber, you'll have to download the regular xmltvgrabber, once unizzped onto your hard drive read the doc/man/tv_grab_na_dd.txt file, it explains how to register first on the Zap2it Web Site and then use the xmltv command line to retreive your XMLTV data.

You'll have to use the command line once, usually "tv_grab_na_dd --configure" then tv_grab_na_dd --output epg.xml to save the listing to the epg.xml file.

You can type this command line in the Importer, there is two fields, one is for the executable for instace : c\xmltv\xmltv.exe (well point it to the folder where you uncompressed the xmltv archive) and another one for argument : tv_grab_na_dd --output epg.xml (epg.xml will be saved to c:\xmltv).

This epg.xml file is the one you will point out in the first step of the XMLTV Importer (that's why you have to run the xmltv grabber manually first)

Quote:
Do you know of a way to share the wireless internet through my hardline connection? Or would that be too much of a hassle for what it's worth? Thanks
I'm not sure what you are trying to do : If I understand correctly your SageTV server does have a wireless lan connection, but you have a wired internet connection that you can use on another PC much more reliably than on your SageTV PC.

So what are you trying to do exactly :

* improving your wireless lan ?
* sharing your internet connection on your wireless PC ?

I was first thinking that you couldn't have a reliable internet connection on your wireless PC, but that you had a reliable wireless lan connection : in this case you will have more chances to make good download from a wired PC then transferring downloaded files on your wireless lan without troubles.

Regards,
Stéphane.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Sage User

I have two computers connected through a hub. My server being the one that doesn't have wireless internet or any internet connection. The other one, my client, does have a wireless connection. So is there a way to share the connection from my client PC to my server PC through the hub?