SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looking for upgrades to my Shuttle

Hi,

I'm using a Shuttle SN41G2V2 as my Sage Server.
It's got 512MB of which 128MB is used by the internal video card.
It has 2 VGA out and a TV out and the TV out is what I have my TV connected to.
Some 120GB Hard drive (don't know brand or type).
Just got a Hauppauge 500MCE which I'm loving very much with its 2 tuners

I'm looking for more and more silent storage. The current HD makes a lot of noise spinning and slowing down. And of course 120GB isn't a whole lot when you got Sage filling it up with MPEGs
Don't want to spend an arm an a leg, but I figure I could do with 300GB and a quiet HD. The Shuttle has IDE ATA 133
I'm not sure if it actually runs at 133 because of the DVD burner that's also connected to it.
What would be a nice HD to use?

I also have a feeling I could have better TV image with a good AGP card. The slot supports 8x/4x 1.5V.
Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

Franc.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Sage Expert

What version PSU do you have? Check to see that you have the latest available from Shuttle. I did an upgrade to an SN41g2v1 and was a great help; a bit quieter, much much cooler. Worth the 70 bucks or so; got it from ewiz.com

What is the best available input for your TV? If SVideo I'd say just upgrade to either a passive 6200 or 5200 that has the correct output(s). That'll free up system ram and also improve your PQ and performance a tad (YMMV).

To avoid pagefile trash XP typically likes to have >=768mb of DRAM so doing the GPU upgrade would help.

I would NOT stuff another HDD in that tiny oven! Go external or replace what you have.